Post subject: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Discussion Thread
From the creator somebody who worked on the Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Lauren Faust, get ready to lay your eyes upon the most fantastic cartoon you will ever witness! Now, you all remember the old style MLP. That was garbage. This show, on the other hand, is absolutely fantastic, appealing to all people of all ages. Apparently Lauren Faust has a DeviantArt page, and on there she actually links to unofficial uploads of MLP:FiM episodes on YouTube. What this means is that you can watch this show completely legally and for free! So you should. Because it's awesome. Here's a quick overview of the scene and characters: Notable locations: Ponyville - where most things take place; home of earth ponies. Cloudsdale - this is where the pegasus ponies live and also where rainbows and clouds are made. Canterlot - a very prestigious city whereupon Princess Celestia lives; Twilight Sparkle lived here before Celestia sent her to Ponyville. Mane characters: Twilight Sparkle -a bookworm unicorn pony; an apprentice of Princess Celestia Applejack - "southern" earth pony who works on her family's apple farm. Rainbow Dash - a pegasus pony with a serious need for speed. Pinkie Pie - an insane earth pony who is basically overdosed on sugar all the time. Fluttershy - an ultra shy pegasus pony; really good with small animals. Rarity - a very self-conscious and fashionable unicorn pony. Spike - a baby dragon that can write send messages to other dragons and Princess Celestia - Aids in Twilight Sparkle's studies (though she's really more of a personal slave, but that's not really important). Now, you can either watch the first two episodes and get the whole background on what's going on, if you feel intrigued. If you aren't quite convinced that this is (one of) the best shows ever to exist, you should instead watch Sonic Rainboom, which is, in my opinion, the best episode thus far. LINKS! Hub of episodes Edit: Due to shenanigans a while back regarding copyright, the episodes I had linked here before are now dead. Since it would be ridiculously arduous to replace every single link, I've decided to link the homepage of the MLParchive YouTube channel, which houses 1080p rips of each episode. They are not public, due to the aforementioned copyright issues. Equestria Daily Ponychan Derpibooru (NSFW images exist, but they're tagged and hidden unless you explicitly say otherwise) 4chan's /mlp/ board (May contain NSFW images) Disclaimer: Please keep this thread clean and the hate to a minimum.
Current projects: Yoshi's Island Disassembly Yoshi's Island any% TAS with Carl Sagan
mindnomad
He/Him
Former player
I love this show with every fiber of my body and I can't wait for the second episode for season 2. I wonder what Princess Luna's personality is going to be like. We only saw her for a good 45 seconds at the end of the second episode of season 1, but that didn't really show us much of her...
I can't believe MLP has invaded here too. *Sigh* Might as well go with the flow. I assume you'll update the post links regularly. I can't wait for S2 E2!
I am the future ruler of the world! My forum: http://elderyoshisisland.forumotion.com/
TASManiac wrote:
I assume you'll update the post links regularly.
I'll wait for the 1080p rips to be uploaded first.
Current projects: Yoshi's Island Disassembly Yoshi's Island any% TAS with Carl Sagan
KennyMan666
He/Him
Just keep an eye on Ponyarchive. If this episode is something to go on, 1080p version happens Sundays and 720p iTunes rip happens Mondays. (seriously why would you ever watch something like this on Youtube)
Det man inte har i begåvning får man ta ut i energi. "I think I need to get to Snoop Dogg's level of high to be able to research this post." -Samsara Read my fanfic, One Piece: Pure Corruption
Experienced player (822)
What is this I don't even
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Former player
Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign aqfaq Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign
Player (244)
I clicked on ONE of those, watched less than 30 seconds of it, and now YouTube has EIGHT different episodes in my recommended videos box and no other content. Also: wait, the show isn't ironically good, it's legitimately good?
ElectroSpecter wrote:
Also: wait, the show isn't ironically good, it's legitimately good?
It's legitimately good.
My fave is Fluttershy. Sonic Rainboom sucked. That's all I have to say. ^^
Kuwaga wrote:
Sonic Rainboom sucked.
What episode would you suggest? Sonic Rainboom was just the first one that came to mind.
Skilled player (1404)
"Best show ever"? Sorry, I roll my eyes too much for this show to be that. If anything that slot is occupied by Freakazoid.
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Post subject: Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Discussion Thread
Dwedit
He/Him
DarkMoon wrote:
From the creator somebody who worked on the Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Lauren Faust, get ready to lay your eyes upon the most fantastic cartoon you will ever witness!
I just checked Wikipedia, and Lauren Faust is Craig McCracken's wife.
Skilled player (1637)
I must be getting old. I just don't see the appeal. I do have to agree that the animation is amazingly colorful and well done. However, nothing in the first three episodes stood out to me and said "THIS IS AMAZING, AND BEYOND A NORMAL KIDS SHOW!" It just felt like... well, the simpsons did it.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
Active player (277)
My Little Pony is great at doing plots The Simpsons already did! Like, there was one called The Princess Promenade where Wysteria couldn't help the other ponies because she was too busy being in jail a princess, and so nothing went right and they could only afford a statue of Jimmy Carter!
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Skilled player (1637)
Bag of Magic Food wrote:
... they could only afford a statue of Jimmy Carter!
History's Greatest Monster! Riot!
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
Active player (277)
Oh wait, that was last series. Okay, this series there was an episode where Rawratah let her idiot friends design their own cars dresses, and they turned out TOTALLY WICKED! Also, I can't believe more people don't like the episode where one pony has only two tickets to share with six friends.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Banned User, Former player
They look more like flash animations than actual cartoons. Hand-drawn cartoons are a lost art.
Patashu
He/Him
Warp wrote:
They look more like flash animations than actual cartoons. Hand-drawn cartoons are a lost art.
It makes episodes easier to do and it looks good so I'm not complaining
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
KennyMan666
He/Him
Warp: It doesn't just "look like" Flash animations, the entire cartoon's done in Flash. Also, for those of you actually starting watching, don't listen to anybody who says to start anywhere that isn't the pilot, they're dumbs. Start with the pilot, watch in order, give it five episdoes before you pass your final verdict. If you don't like it at that point, you're probably never going to like it. Make no mistake, the pilot is great. Probably one of the best episodes. However, it's not representative of the show as a whole. Some people say episode 3 isn't either, but I don't know how much I agree with that. It definitely has most of the elements. But yeah, if you're not hooked after Griffon the Brush-Off (ep 5), there's little to nothing left in the rest of the season that would hook you. Maybe Party of One, but that's the second to last episode of the season, so...
Det man inte har i begåvning får man ta ut i energi. "I think I need to get to Snoop Dogg's level of high to be able to research this post." -Samsara Read my fanfic, One Piece: Pure Corruption
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
How the hell did this thread slip past me?
Skilled player (1404)
KennyMan666 wrote:
Make no mistake, the pilot is great. Probably one of the best episodes.
Except no it's not. I haven't seen all of season 1, but what I have seen, the pilot was the most painful to sit through (except for maybe the talent show). Especially right at the end with Twilight talking about her friends being the embodiments of whatever. It was some of the worst excesses of Japanese media written in English. I also think Tara Strong is weak voice actress. A few lines aside, her voice is far and away the most unnatural sounding on the show. That certainly didn't help matters. Don't get me wrong, though, it's a decent enough show with strong moments. But every time Pinkie Pie starts singing, or a character acts rather childishly, or Twilight Sparkle begins delivering the moral of the day, I think to myself, "I can't believe I'm watching this..." That said, Suited for Success is a good episode (even if Rarity's song doesn't hold up too well), and the first I saw in full.
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
KennyMan666
He/Him
Ferret Warlord wrote:
every time Pinkie Pie starts singing [..] I think to myself, "I can't believe I'm watching this..."
Well, that's pretty much how her solo songs are treated in-universe too ("Tell me she's not."), so that's what you're supposed to be thinking... Sounds to me you haven't fully accepted the inherent ridiculousness of actually watching My Little Pony yet (and then not caring because it's a great show). That said, we're a bunch of people who are going to IRC group watch the very first animated MLP special from 1984, Rescue at Midnight Castle, this weekend. Poke me on IRC if you want to join. I'm sure some people are going to watch it with the expectation that it's crap, but I'm having an open mind. After all, that's what we G4 fans tell the non-fans to have when we want them to watch it, and I'm not going to be the hypocrite.
Post subject: Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Discussion Thread
Banned User, Former player
DarkMoon wrote:
Episode 1
That made me laugh. Now I'm compelled to watch all the other episodes too. But what about my masculinity?