Submission Text Full Submission Page
  • Emulator used: FCE Ultra
  • Passwords/Warps: No (tournament mode)
  • Programming Error abused: none
  • Hits taken: 0
  • Aim: 100% Punches landed on target
The game itself: Ring King is an old arcade classic in terms of boxing games. While the NES port is much harder than the arcade version (ie: your punches MUST be well-timed if you wish to be successful), it still is enjoyable for 8-bit nostalgics, such as yours truly. :)
Comments about the movie:
  • I did not go for ringouts for all three of my opponents because it would obviously make the movie boring. Yes, it would make it faster, but still boring, nontheless.
  • I noticed that other than the running uppercut (hold D-Pad in the desired direction, then press B), countering a running punch/uppercut from an opponent dishes quite a considerable amount of damage. So I used that to my advantage.
  • If any of you attempt to outdo this run, you'll notice that the boxers, sometimes, fall way too fast, without enough energy lost. And the ref counting only to have the boxer getting up is an obvious waste of time. Your opponent must have 3/4 of his energy bar drained in order to stay for the count. While sometimes a knockdown is inevitable, try to make them occur as rarely as possible.
  • In between the matches, I tampered with the timing system in order to get opponents with low stamina values. This seems to increase damage you deal to an opponent.
  • I tried to make this movie balanced between the two main aspects of superplays: entertainment and speed. Hope you guys like it!
  • Sometimes I may move back very slightly while moving towards my opponent. I do this in order to influence timings and change my opponent's "pattern" (Example: so he would charge at me)

Truncated I don't know what to think of this submission really.
Positives:
  • It's short
  • It's cute
  • A lot of people spoke up for it to be published
Negatives:
  • There is no clear goal, it's a little speed and a little playing around
  • Since the opponents have so low stats, there isn't much challenge
  • It's almost too short, it ends just as it's getting started
I'm giving this a week before saying anything final, but I'm leaning towards rejecting it. Convince me otherwise.

Truncated again: Rejecting because of reasons mentioned above and because the people who responded seemed to agree that it wasn't worth publishing. Better luck next time.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #366: Mart's NES Ring King in 01:04.20
Former player
I think the movie was fairly good for being 1 minute long. I do think it could be improved however, and this game to me seems like it would be the perfect game for a compitition to break out too. *cough*
Former player
Since I don't really know the physics of this game, I can't really say that you could do better. But this movie is entertaining, so yeah, it should be published.
I am a fan of Ring King. I found this video to be entertainming, but short. I voted yes, because it was very well made. Though ultimate, though I understand the limited intrest in this game, I desire to see a longer run. I feel this video is entertaining enough to be published.
Wow. Massacre. o_o; My Vote: Yes. Reasons: This is a bloody massacre. And fast? Is it ever fast, man. . . It's insane. And awesome. Advice?: Winners don't do drugs.
I'm not that hard to find... if you know where to look. -=( http://jolikmc.tumblr.com )=-
Former player
Oh it's fun. And I think it deserves to be published being as short as it is - certainly worth it. But one thing - just by stopping it when you throw the punch rather than waiting until he's halfway out of the ring saves 2 seconds. Just change the ending and I'll vote yes.
Former player
Naughty! Seriously, what exactly were the programmer's intention(s)?? Anyways, it's entertaining and well-played. I vote yes.
I was wondering when someone was going to get around to bringing that up.
I'm not that hard to find... if you know where to look. -=( http://jolikmc.tumblr.com )=-
Player (70)
Digging through the pile. Found a goodie at the bottom... Almost.. A good run indeed. Crappy game though. :) A bit diffrent from punch out. Still I think this run is worth watching. Cheers!
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (969)
This submission is very old and it's about time it got judged. I'm giving it a week. Those of you who thought this submission should be published, could you explain more about why you think so? I'm not convinced so far. For example, how would you try to sell it in it's description?
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3599)
well i re-watched this run a few times and did a little testing of my own. 1) The movie definately ends too late, if it is published it would need to be stopped sooner 2)
I did not go for ringouts for all three of my opponents because it would obviously make the movie boring. Yes, it would make it faster, but still boring, nontheless.
I have to disagree with this. Its only three opponents and only a minute long. How could it be boring that quickly? And how much MORE entertaining is it without? 3) From what little I know about this game I think it is improvable 4) I'm not sure that a run of this game is entertaining. It seems you just hit the about 2-3 times and they are out. Of course someone who never played punchout might think the same thing. But at least punchout has a variety of characters whereas Ring King's boxers all look the same and have the same moves. 5)
Naughty! Seriously, what exactly were the programmer's intention(s)??
If published can this be the screen shot ;) Overall I have to vote no. I disagree with the author's goals, I think the run itself is improvable, and I think that this game has limited potential for an entertaining TAS.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Player (101)
Yeah, I remember seeing this run ages ago and I basically came to the conclusion that it was all right, but the game itself just isn't very entertaining to watch in this regard (not that that's stopped runs from being published before.. =P). I feel this way about 1-on-1 fighting games in general, and this one is particularly simplistic. Should be noted that due to the nature of the programming, it DOES take some work for a fight to end up perfect. On the other hand, I wouldn't feel too bad about rejecting it since the game is so short; it probably didn't take too long to make. =P
http://girlyyy.com/ The El Viento TAS is the only decent thing I submitted here.
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (969)
I was going to reject this, but now it seems like my powers to do that have vanished. I can still edit the submission text but not set a new status. Guessing this is part of upgrading. Help?
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, stale!