Expert player (2581)
One of the few games from 2004 is about to be thrown to the ground! There's only two on the SNES now; Combatribes and Umihara Kawase, but since my attempt at Umihara failed miserably, I'm taking a crack at this game. It will be my last Snes9x 1.43 run, if I succeed that is... and maybe my last SNES run, so, I better do it right. Phil and Genisto's run is played on Hard but I'm playing on Super. There's no difference between the two difficulties, but it's faster to activate the Super Difficulty Level.
I am old enough to know better, but not enough to do it.
Experienced player (758)
Why not the arcade version?
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4136)
Yeah, I think arcade version would be better.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1235)
Do you think of auto-accepting your own run after you submit it?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Noxxa
They/Them
feos wrote:
Actually, we're going to need a judgepublisher to get everything fully covered. ...turska?
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Mothrayas wrote:
feos wrote:
Actually, we're going to need a judgepublisher to get everything fully covered. ...turska?
Wouldn't work here unless turska TASes this thing. Or co-authors with Dooty!
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Noxxa
They/Them
feos wrote:
Mothrayas wrote:
feos wrote:
Wouldn't work here unless turska TASes this thing. Or co-authors with Dooty!
Yeah, that's what I intended to mean. Turska should TAS the thing. And then judge it. And publish it.
Experienced player (758)
For maximum power abuse, you'll need both me and Nahoc on the project. Throw in adelikat so that we can get authorization from the highest level.
Dooty: arukAdo begs you to TAS arcade version too. 3-player!
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
Ah yes, this was a peculiar movie. Lowest average rating for one thing, among the oldest unobsoleted movies for the other one. Let's see what you can get out of this game, Dooty, I wish you good luck. (I should point out, I'm not too familiar with either the game or the Arcade version, so I'm curious to see what happens.)
Expert player (2581)
Thank you guys, all of you :) It would be really insane if I could TAS, accept and give it a Star, even before submit it! but seriously, my goal is only obsolete the 2004 movie, also, I'm not familiar with the arcade emulator, so, I'll have to stick with the SNES version, sorry about that.
Noxxa
They/Them
Dooty wrote:
also, I'm not familiar with the arcade emulator, so, I'll have to stick with the SNES version, sorry about that.
I don't think that's a very good reason to stick with a (probably) inferior version. Besides, it's not like a different emulator is impossible to learn. The emulators are functionally not much different (the largest difference being the system they emulate, obviously).
Cooljay
He/Him
Active player (391)
I agree with Mothrayas on this. I see little to none changes with what emulator I'm using. Similar keys, Similar methods. Only difference is just the graphic quality.
Expert player (2581)
Well, I think I can't go against audience preferences, so, I'll give the Arcade version a try then. But I'll have to find another method to TAS; I'm using an Xbox360 controller on Snes9x to control each character with an analog stick, saving and loading with the digital pad and advancing frames with the shoulder buttons. On the Arcade, there's three characters to control, so I'm still confused on how it will work out, but I can use the keyboard or another controller, so I think it's no big deal. anyway, I made a little progress on the SNES version yesterday; I'm fighting against the first boss, 745 frames ahead.
Skilled player (1636)
The thing about a game like this - just being frames ahead really isn't enough to get published. It should be done on the arcade version. if you were using joy2key, I could probably help you adapt one of my multi-track scripts.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
Expert player (2581)
A multi-track script? Of course I want, and all the help I can get! If it's not asking too much, is it possible to add memory addresses for the enemy health as well? Thanks in advance. anyway, I did a quick test on the Arcade version last night and I'm abandoning the SNES version, here's the file of the first stage completed, 1180 frames faster if anyone is interested; http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1174467012/Dooty-Combatribes-Super-2p.smv edit: My old Xbox360 controller helped me TAS all of my single player SNES runs. It's time to stress the poor thing a little bit doing a three players run; Left Analog Stick = Berserker's Movement A & B Buttons = Berserker's 1 & 2 Buttons Right Analog Stick = Bullova's Movement X & Y Buttons = Bullova's 1 & 2 Buttons Digital Pad = Blitz's Movement LB & RB Buttons = Blitz's 1 & 2 Buttons Left Trigger = Frame Advance Right Trigger = Pause Start Button = Save State 1 Back Button = Load State 1 Left Click = Save State 2 Right Click = Load State 2 It may seem confuse at first, but there's no need to press the buttons all the time, not even the directions, in the Arcade you only need to press the buttons 1+2 to run. So, if it's too much work adapting the multi-track script, please don't bother, I'm really confortable with that controller setup and I'd prefer the memory addresses. Oh, and I'm using this Rom Set; Finalburn 029725 if it can be of any help. edit2: I can barely understand what those Lua statements means, so it will take more time to learn Lua than to finish this run... But I just found some memory addresses for the Arcade version and edited them in Dammit's input display script created a simple script;
--The Combatribes (US) - Arcade - Written by Dooty

print("The Combatribes (US): Player Input and Enemy Health")

function ctribe()
gui.clearuncommitted()

EnemyHealth = {
ene1 = memory.readbyte(0x0001C0359),
ene2 = memory.readbyte(0x0001C0419),
ene3 = memory.readbyte(0x0001C04D9),
ene4 = memory.readbyte(0x0001C0599),
ene5 = memory.readbyte(0x0001C0659)
}

for k,v in pairs(EnemyHealth) do
	if v ~= 0 then
 if k == "ene1" then enh,env,enm = 5,55,"Enemy 1: "..v; end
 if k == "ene2" then enh,env,enm = 5,65,"Enemy 2: "..v; end
 if k == "ene3" then enh,env,enm = 5,75,"Enemy 3: "..v; end
 if k == "ene4" then enh,env,enm = 5,85,"Enemy 4: "..v; end
 if k == "ene5" then enh,env,enm = 5,95,"Enemy 5: "..v; end

gui.text(enh, env, enm)
	end
end

PlayerInput = joypad.get()
	for k,v in pairs(PlayerInput) do
		if v == true then
 if k == "P1 Right" then inp,hor,ver = ">",55,230; end
 if k == "P1 Left" then inp,hor,ver = "<",45,230; end
 if k == "P1 Up" then inp,hor,ver = "^",50,230; end
 if k == "P1 Down" then inp,hor,ver = "v",60,230; end
 if k == "P1 Fire 1" then inp,hor,ver = "P",65,230; end
 if k == "P1 Fire 2" then inp,hor,ver = "K",70,230; end
 if k == "Coin 1" then inp,hor,ver = "C",75,230; end
 if k == "Start 1" then inp,hor,ver = "S",80,230; end
 if k == "P2 Right" then inp,hor,ver = ">",55,220; end
 if k == "P2 Left" then inp,hor,ver = "<",45,220; end
 if k == "P2 Up" then inp,hor,ver = "^",50,220; end
 if k == "P2 Down" then inp,hor,ver = "v",60,220; end
 if k == "P2 Fire 1" then inp,hor,ver = "P",65,220; end
 if k == "P2 Fire 2" then inp,hor,ver = "K",70,220; end
 if k == "Coin 2" then inp,hor,ver = "C",75,220; end
 if k == "Start 2" then inp,hor,ver = "S",80,220; end
 if k == "P3 Right" then inp,hor,ver = ">",55,210; end
 if k == "P3 Left" then inp,hor,ver = "<",45,210; end
 if k == "P3 Up" then inp,hor,ver = "^",50,210; end
 if k == "P3 Down" then inp,hor,ver = "v",60,210; end
 if k == "P3 Fire 1" then inp,hor,ver = "P",65,210; end
 if k == "P3 Fire 2" then inp,hor,ver = "K",70,210; end
 if k == "Start 3" then inp,hor,ver = "S",80,210; end
 if ver == 230 then gui.text(5, ver, "Player 1:"); end
 if ver == 220 then gui.text(5, ver, "Player 2:"); end
 if ver == 210 then gui.text(5, ver, "Player 3:"); end
gui.text(hor,ver, inp)

end
	end
end
gui.register(ctribe)
anyway, I'm not working on the SNES version anymore so I don't think it make sense to keep editing this post. I also don't want to create another topic on the Arcade section even though I'm working on it. But I'll post the finished run here as soon as it's done, it will not be too long I think.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
Are you crazy? Why wouldn't you want to make a thread in the appropriate forum? Posting a .fbm is auto of control. Also, I highly look forward to this and I am glad you are doing the (much better) arcade version.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Expert player (2581)
Yeah, you're right, post on the right forum wouldn't hurt. But can someone move this thread to the Arcade section instead?, thanks in advance.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moved the thread to Arcade Games (from SNES Games).
Expert player (2581)
Thank you, Mothrayas. There was a kind of "bug" on my script on the Title Screen of the game, adding "gui.clearuncommitted()" to the script seems to solve the issue. I'm not a programmer(obviously), nor do I know Lua, but it's working :) I'm now working full time on the run, I mean full time of my spare time, and it should quicken the progress, but a three player run is something that require a lot of experimentation, so it may take a while to finish. edit: here's a wip of the first stage: http://youtu.be/doaZAEuVxZ8 edit2: I usually do my runs in one shot, but for this game I'll work on all stages twice, to see if I can find not only the best strategy, but also the more entertaining. I never did an Arcade run before, so, suggestions are very welcome. edit3: well, never mind, I'll do it the usual way then. See you guys in a month or two...
So, how is the run going, Dooty?
Expert player (2581)
Pretty slow, actually, the second stage is completely different in terms of enemy manipulation. Those Demon Clowns really deserve that name... I'm also considering a redo on the first stage, but first I need to find out how to reproduce this glitch: http://youtu.be/LDkal0qreEI It may or may not help making the run faster, it will depend on how fast it can be triggered, but it may lead to other glitches as well. edit: Couldn't find how to reproduce the glitch, but after some time with the run on hold my luck on the second stage simple changed, for the best! Nedless to say, it increased my motivation too. final edit: after a small wave of luck came a run of really bad luck... I can no longer deal with this game and I'm giving up on doing this run, sorry. I'm setting it as abandoned and will return to my other SNES runs. Don't worry, I won't do the SNES version of this game, I promise. edit: I'm trying to figure out what triggers the appearance of those powered up clowns on stage 2, so it may be uncancelled soon... edit: I couldn't define what causes those red clowns to spawn, but I'm still interested in completing the run. I'm testing something with the easy difficulty setting and as soom as I have a new wip I'll post the results.
Alyosha
He/Him
Editor, Expert player (3520)
Are you still working on this run Dooty? Now is the perfect time to get this done!
Expert player (2581)
Sorry, but I gave up the project a long time ago. The easy difficulty changed nothing in terms of energy of the enemies. Also, those Demon Clowns just keep spawning - talk about frustration. :(
Alyosha
He/Him
Editor, Expert player (3520)
Finally starting this run (after becoming frustrated on Kabuki Quantum Fighter) DiscoRico and I are teaming up! So far I got a basic input file editor Lua script working for final burn alpha, and with it found the first frame on which you can insert a coin (53) so that is a good start! I do not expect progress on this to be rapid, but slow and steady should create a good run.