Ghosts 'n Goblins v8
Improvement: 646 frames = 10.77 seconds
Improvements:
Level 1 - 16 frames by taking damage in a better spot
Level 2 - 8 frames by better timing of the escape from the house; 76 frames by doing the lifts faster; 76 frames at the boss fight by keeping the first Christian Unicorn on the screen.
Level 3 - 29 frames in the yellow part; 33 frames in the blue part, both done just by less jumps/pauses
Level 4 - 69 frames by defeating the dragon faster; also discovered that the cross is available on this level, which is very useful later.
Level 5 - only 10 frames faster overall despite that I spent much more time on this level than the others (trying to manipulate platforms)
Level 6 - 183 frames by not having to pick up the cross; 21 frames in the middle area; 70 frames at the 2 lucifers
Satan - 59 frames by new fighting tactics
- Abuses programming errors (if the 'boost from enemy' trick counts)
- Takes damage to save time
- Aims for fastest time
- Genre: Platform
- Genre: Action

Bisqwit: Time to publish it...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #380: Arc's NES Ghosts 'n Goblins in 08:42.57
Former player
I voted Yes. I have fond memories of playing this game for all of a Saturday only to be dismayed by the "fake" ending. Needless to say I did not want to spend all of Sunday playing in order to get the real ending.
whats this "fake" ending? you have to play the game a 2nd time to actualy finish the game do you? if so why has'nt anyone done this? i thought incomplete speed runs were rejected instantly. i watched this and soon as the movie stopped it restarted at Lv 1. cmon guys actualy finish the game. not just get the half assed ending. till i see a FULL run i'm voting no
ventuz
He/Him
Player (123)
Incomplete does not matter, theres incomplete speedrun Super Mario World, theres incomplete speedrun of Super Metroid, theres incomplete speedrun of this and that. Explain why "no" vote? If he going to do it in Full run, it might not overwrite over "fake ending" speedrun. How bout request that in nes games, and rethink your post?
Former player
Not only have his previous ghosts & goblins runs been published under the same conditions, but if the game was played through a second time, it's pretty much universally agreed upon that the entire second half would be boring.
Player (70)
Well.. You could start a new movie when you have completed the first round of it. I could find that acceptable. Because then you would only need to watch one round of it and still get to see the second ending right?
Former player
It would require loading from save state. Which, as I've stated, I think should be accepted in rare circumstances as long as the same one is universally used, but others don't seem to agree.
Player (70)
Sad. /me pokes some one to re-write the rules a bit. Seriously though. This would be one of those special cases where it should be allowed to do something like that. Since it's pretty boring watching a run twice just to get to the real ending. Supposed that nothing else changes during the levels though?
saying incomplete runs dont matter is like saying, here is my 1/2 completed mario bros. 2 run. i only could be bothered going to world 4-3 but oh well. and though i thought i explained my no vote, i'll do it again. even if the 2nd run through of this movie would be a bit boring, it still completes the game as you get the finish the final boss. (from what i remember at least) where this video stops is simply the half way point. the game is'nt technicly finished so i'm voting no. yes i know other movies were published like this and i always thought how wrong this was. if your only going to finish half of GnG then the rules should be changed only for this game, so you start with half the game finished, with the lance as your starting weapon (as its default). that way the game could truly be completed. 1 more thing. what other incomplete runs are there? every single video i've viewed from this site ends when the final boss has been killed and the credits start rolling except this one. incomplete super mario world? incomplete super metroid? if you mean not every single world is finished or every item collected then your wrong, as the game is still finished. as i said before, until i see the game completed with its real ending and not some message telling me the room was a fake, i will be voting no.
Editor, Active player (296)
I'm going to publish this movie regardless of votes, because it's an improvement to an existing movie by the same author and (AFAIK) it doesn't add any controversiality.
Former player
The whole point here is that the first movie was accepted under these conditions and this one is better so it should be accepted. But the guy's got a valid point here - the game isn't finished. Isn't there something someone can do?
Blechy wrote:
It would require loading from save state. Which, as I've stated, I think should be accepted in rare circumstances as long as the same one is universally used, but others don't seem to agree.
How about using the password to get to the second level before starting the run? I don't want to watch it twice, but can he use the password to get directly to Lucifer, defeat him, then start?
Player (70)
Sounds resonable if you ask me. Password in this case should be allowed. I don't quite see that as cheating since the first round only seems like a trial or something.
Emulator Coder
There is a similar entry for SNES, Super Ghost n Goblins which still is in 'question' state, http://tasvideos.org/queue.cgi?id=229, In this one he actually completes the game twice to get to the ending. Another entry for Genesis Super Ghost n Goblins also exists, it was rejected, http://tasvideos.org/queue.cgi?id=10, This one only plays through it once (as far as I can judge without actually watching the replay). This entry completes the game once, thus doesn't get the complete ending. I still believe it's a very good submission and should be accepted, as the second time round would be mostly the same, apart from ending credits.
Former player
In the case of those two games, you don't actually finish the game when you beat it the first time though. You don't even fight the final boss. You fight the boss before him and then loop back to the first level and must play through the entire game again and then fight the final boss to beat the game. In Ghosts 'N Goblins, you beat the entire game, however they present you with a 2nd quest which has a better ending. This is comparable to Super Mario Bros. or Legend of Zelda where they give you 2nd quests to complete after the first one, only in Ghosts 'N Goblins, you get a better ending. Also, in the NES game 8 Eyes, you must complete it 3 times in a row to get the best ending. Does that mean any movie of it should complete the game 3 times in a row or else be rejected due to being incomplete? I think not. I think that because you are not required to play through the game twice or three times in order to play the whole game, then a movie completing it only once should be accepted.
Former player
I agree with dan. Is there a super powerful item in the second quest for this game as well? Plus, making the comparison between this and just playing half of super mario 3 for example isn't valid. It would be valid if after you beat bowser, you started back at 1-1, in which case my argument would be the same as the one for this.
Post subject: Dark F'n Mana
Arc
Editor, Experienced player (769)
I have achieved the good ending of the 1st quest. The bad ending is when you finish level 6 without getting a cross and are then forced to go back and get it before you can fight Satan. Dark Mana seems to be confused by the lack of credits. The ending of the 2nd quest is different, as you can see here: But that is all; there are no ending credits in this game. Evidently you would also oppose the publishing of the Legend of Zelda movie, because it only completes the 1st quest? What about Super Pitfall, which also has no ending credits and has infinite quests? It seems that you would automatically vote no for a Super Pitfall movie that wasn't played for an infinitely long time, due to your criterion that the game must reach the final ending.
i would'nt oppose the legend of zelda movie as it DOES finish the game. the 1st quest is the main game and the 2nd quest you need to use a special name to start it. so its really a code you use to gain the 2nd quest. if a game is submitted when it is actualy finished, (you beat the final boss/level and there are no reloops back to the 1st stage) then i'll be happy to vote yes. havingn ever played super pitfall i cannot say anything about it as i dont know, but the rules need to be changed. if the game loops you back to the 1st stage after you finish the final one, then save states should be allowed simply as doing the run again would be boring to watch. credits or not i still think this game needs to be finished after killing satan EDIT - arc that pic is what what all GnG runs should end with. it seems this game simply loops forever without stopping (having never finished the game i cant say for sure) so finishing the next half of the game is really the end of it.
Arc
Editor, Experienced player (769)
In LoZ after the 1st Quest it states: "Another quest will start from here. Press the start button." After the 2nd Quest it states: "You are great. You have an amazing wisdom and power [sic]. End of 'The Legend of Zelda 1.'" So I don't see why you consider Zelda finished after the 1st quest but not GnG.
i never saw that message as i stopped the game soon as the recording finished. if that is the case then i believe it needs to be played again so it gets that 2nd message. eh, oh well though. i know prolly no one else agrees with me on this so i'll just stop bother posting. IMO though, change the rules so we dont have to live with half finished runs
Former player
In Ghosts 'n Goblins, are the first quest and second quest identical?
Former player
I played this game recently and the first and second quest are identical. I think it get's even harder the second time though.
/Walker Boh
after beating many games you start back at level 1,,,who in the hell would want to watch an endless time attack of the same levels over and over again, especially when in doing the same levels, you risk complete boredom to the viewer if you repeat the same movements...movements of which are most probably the same due to optimizations...
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [224] NES Ghosts 'n Goblins by Arc in 08:42.57
I still cant beat this game, it's amazing to see someone actually do it start to finish!