Post subject: Changes to your Movie rating visibility
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3598)
We made a few changes to the public/private feature of movie ratings. From now on, users with private ratings will no longer be shown as having rated a movie (it will just show the number of hidden ratings for a movie). And going forward any new user will have ratings hidden by default. We also mass turned everyone's ratings to hidden. If you (like me) prefer your ratings to be public, you can go to your forum profile and turn it back on. The motivations for this change was due to some incidents regarding the criticism of people's private ratings (no specific incidents recently, this is just a backlogged TODO item). And hopefully this change will encourage more users to rate movies.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Active player (266)
Great idea, if it can attract more users. I think there should be some explanation about switching rating publicity, too.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
I strongly dislike it, because wise people really need seeing ratings of their runs to get info on how good/bad their gameplay decisions were. Probably let the run author see ALL, and the others see only the self-uncovered ones? He needs it and he must have a right to collect stats on his own work.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1141)
feos wrote:
I strongly dislike it, because wise people really need seeing ratings of their runs to get info on how good/bad their gameplay decisions were.
The people that are usually the worst at this: - Authors (especially certain ones) - Various fanboys of the franchise in question. The technical and entertainment averages will be available anyway.
Player (124)
I agreed with feos
Jungon wrote:
if I was to have a Tool-Assisted real life ... I'd.. I could abuse death, just to see if it saves time ..
Active player (405)
I'm just glad people are using words like "I strongly dislike" rather than "This is stupid. I'm leaving forever"
Banned User, Former player
I honestly can't understand what do we need hidden ratings in the first place. The only reason I can think of that someone would want to hide their ratings is if they frequently go completely contrary to the average (which they have the right to do, of course), and are unwilling to explain why (which is more questionable.) If someone cannot argue why they gave such an off-mark rating to a TAS, perhaps it's just better that they don't rate at all. Sounds more like unjustified rating out of principle (if not outright vandalism.) I don't think "we want more ratings" is a good reason to offer anonymity to people who give off-mark ratings out of unjustified principles, or even want to vandalize the system (or someone's TASes).
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3598)
We need hidden ratings because not everyone is mature enough to handle public ones.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
adelikat wrote:
We need hidden ratings because not everyone is mature enough to handle public ones.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
Former player
hi warp. if I rAte OoT run with something less than 2 in entertainment because I find watching it to be worse than boring I will get harassed by people telling me I hate the author and don't deserve to be able to rate and that Im just vandalizing the ratings and that I dig in theg arbage. if I explain to them that I think watching it Izmir worse than boring they will call me a liar and stupid and vandal and that I just hate the author. ESPECIALLY if I choose to not give it a tech rating. if they can't see that I rated it, they won't know to harass me.
Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign aqfaq Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign
snorlax
He/Him
This is a good decision. This site needs more intelligent discussion and less pointless bickering, and this should help with both.
Editor
I thought rating was "(5481)" not the 10/10 Rating that movies get. Silly site not explaining things again. :)
When TAS does Quake 1, SDA will declare war. The Prince doth arrive he doth please.
jimsfriend wrote:
hi warp. if I rAte OoT run with something less than 2 in entertainment because I find watching it to be worse than boring I will get harassed by people telling me I hate the author and don't deserve to be able to rate and that Im just vandalizing the ratings and that I dig in theg arbage. if I explain to them that I think watching it Izmir worse than boring they will call me a liar and stupid and vandal and that I just hate the author. ESPECIALLY if I choose to not give it a tech rating. if they can't see that I rated it, they won't know to harass me.
Well, you just let the bag out and I don't see anybody harassing you. Anyway, if someone is behaving in an inappropriate way, you can report them to the admins.
Former player
I was just giving an example of something that has happened publicly in the past. it .aye have been some other Zelda game, but similar things have happened on no votes or low ratings on runs of any popular game
Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign aqfaq Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign
Arc
Editor, Experienced player (768)
Why not make the rating numbers public but the raters' names private (by default)?