Post subject: The Beginner's Guide
AnS
Emulator Coder, Experienced player (723)
While attempting to write an all-encompassing manual for the TAS Editor toolset, I wrote the textbook on TASing. http://www.fceux.com/web/help/taseditor/ Given the size of the book, it's probably not an easy read, but I highly recommend everyone to take a good look at it, because it's the only paper of this kind. Before, there were lots of talk about specific playing tricks like Luck Manipulation, fighting bosses and finding glitches, but for some reason no one spoke about intricacies of actual process of making the Input for a TAS movie. And it's much more than just "playing with savestates". In my opinion, this misconception is what rises the bar so high that newcomers cannot compete with old TASers and have to find an obscure game that would make a publish-worthy TAS and thus motivate them to learn TASing the hard way. Now, instead of learning TASing by trial-and-error I suggest all newcomers to read the Beginner's Guide section: http://www.fceux.com/web/help/taseditor/BeginnersGuide.html Beside TAS Editor specifics, it covers the following topics:
    * the difference between using savestates for playing and for TASing * working with segments * optimizing by repeatedly redoing * finding factors by trying different approaches * finding factors by rewatching and changing scope * quick resyncing of Input * using 10 savestate slots efficiently * comparing alternative strategies of playing through large segments * fastest way to find the first possible frame for a buttonpress * general luck manipulation * basics of Lua scripting * using the new tools (Markers, selection counter, green arrow, ...)
Since the Guide is a part of TAS Editor's documentation, it's naturally leaning towards TASing in a highly-visualized environment like TAS Editor (FCEUX 2.2.0) or future TAStudio (BizHawk). Because that kind of working environment is simply more user-friendly than plain old savestates and Frame Advance. But anyway, there's also fair share of describing the traditional TASing method: In this thread you can ask questions and post opinions about the book. Later I also plan to add some videos, but for now just some nice image from this submission:
Pretty amazing guide, I knew the basic concept of TAS editor (never having tased anything), but your guide made me realize its much more then that. If I ever do decide to TAS anything, I don't think I'll be able to do it without TAS editor after reading your guide. Thanks again
Active player (434)
are there guides to lua scripting?
TAS i'm interested: megaman series: mmbn1 all chips, mmx3 any% psx glitched fighting games with speed goals in general
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4136)
grassini wrote:
are there guides to lua scripting?
You're posting in a topic about a guide to TAS Editor. Are you looking for something related to that, or just looking for a guide about lua scripting in general? If the latter, there's Wiki: LuaScripting.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Darth_Marios
He/Him
I suppose an i5 4200u, intel hd 4400, 8gb ram can handle a tasing of psx games and bizhawk emulator, right? What about a dolphin tas? Some games maybe?
hi, are the links not working? thanks
Site Admin, Skilled player (1235)
flashthe wrote:
hi, are the links not working? thanks
Fixed now.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.