Post subject: Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon
I just remembered I had this game and decided to see if it would be worth tasing. I only have the NTSC version and have no experience with the JAP version. There is also a DS version (may be faster) but it is Japanese only and I have no experience with it. Some quick entertainment variables to consider:
  • FMVs are skippable.
  • Not all dialog/cutscenes can be skipped (may only be special cutscenes in dungeons).
  • Music doesn't reset when moving between floors in the same set so Final Fantasy fans can enjoy the variety of music remixes (assuming we don't break the game too badly).
Which run should be done: Any% or "All Memories"? Any% will cut out most of the optional memories. An "all memories" run would mix the optional memories into the route and viewers may find getting out of the awkward situations (while under-leveled) to be interesting.
Other things to consider for the route. Which jobs should be used?
  • Natural
    • Chocobo starts out with this so (some) JP can be collected right away.
    • Has a decent range of offensive abilities.
    • Dig can speed up any needed item farming.
  • Thief
    • Obtained early in the game (detour can be a shortcut and be along the route).
    • Requires death to switch immediately after obtaining.
    • Needles! First access to an attack with a range of 3, can cause a status effect, and one of the few abilities that also only cost 1 SP.
    • Alert helps verify the positions of everything (except the exit).
    • Flee can warp Chocobo to a random location on the floor. Can be manipulated to get closer to the exit and escape from sticky situations.
  • Scholar
    • Obtained ~mid-game.
    • Can restore food and HP.
    • Recover from all afflictions.
    • Truth casts a random spell for 1 SP. Can be manipulated.
  • Black Mage
    • Obtained early in the game.
    • Lots of available offensive spells from elemental to status effects.
    • Charge is obtained late but can be manipulated to easily recover SP.
  • White Mage
    • First class obtained in the game.
    • Best range of abilities.
    • Can heal self.
    • Defensive abilities.
    • Holy attack spells.
    • Can remove curses.
    • Charge available sooner than Black Mage.
    • Escape can warp Chocobo to a random location on the floor. Can be manipulated and available early.
At the moment, White Mage and Thief look promising. I personally haven't had much experience with Black Mage so I can't say much. Scholar's Truth needs more research but the lack of Charge hurts its spam potential (not to mention the amount of JP grinding required so late in the game). Other points:
  • Flowers will be grown to farm JP (when it is efficient).
  • Fishing can be manipulated to get useful items/gil.
  • Classic controller will be used (the extra buttons actually have useful shortcuts).
  • Claws (and maybe Saddles) will be honed when the route allows me. I will plan out a honing 'route' to make sure everything mixes well.
Did I miss anything else?