Post subject: Rktcr is "tool-assisted speed run, the game" (+keys)
ix
So, I'm going to shill my game, Rktcr, for a moment; it was suggested on the SpeedDemosArchive forum that I post this here, and it does seem like a good fit. Rktcr is a physics-momentum platformer wherein time only moves when you want it to. This means you can play frame-perfectly. Better yet, it shows you the future path your (eponymous) vehicle will take before you roll time forward. Basically, it has built-in tool assist. Trailer: Link to video Learn to play video series: over here Demo: here Keys (humble store widget; direct download + desura): If the keys run out, there's always actually buying the game. It's $5 right now. You can afford this. I've been self-financing this thing for a year, and there is pretty much no way I'll make back what I put into it, but if I get to 2^10 sales, I will pull a ~crazy~stunt~ :) . Useful controls:
  • F8 : play back current path. CTRL/SHIFT continue to control time. (Useful for recording video for, e.g., youtube)
  • CTRL-c : copy current path as text. Great for those one-frame tweaks or for (hint hint) sharing on forums.
  • CTRL-v : paste path from text.
There are already some amazing paths over at the SDA forums. Anyway, sorry for disrupting your usual foruming. I hope you enjoy.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
This would go better in the PC Games forum. Also, when I try to launch the Humble Store download (XP Home x86) I just get an error message saying that it's not a valid win32 application. What dependencies does it have? Or does it have to be launched via Desura? EDIT: I redeemed the third Humble Store key, but Desura is telling me that the Desura key I'm trying to redeem couldn't be found.
Previous Name: boct1584
ix
Also, when I try to launch the Humble Store download (XP Home x86) I just get an error message saying that it's not a valid win32 application. What dependencies does it have? Or does it have to be launched via Desura?
I don't have anything ancient enough to run XP, but I expect it's a "your OS is too old" issue. Should work on Vista, 7, or 8.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
Well, bollocks then. Doesn't bode well for people trying to TAS it either, since the Windows TASing application, Hourglass, doesn't run well outside of XP. You might take a look at the source code and see if you can help improve it...
ix
At least -- since Rktcr has built-in frame perfect controls -- it's probably not something that folks wishing to really optimize their times will need. Now, taking it up a level, and trying to construct optimal runs as quickly as possible...
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
Indeed, that's the challenge a TAS would undertake. Does the game use mouse input? Hourglass doesn't support that at all.
RachelB
She/Her
Player (128)
I think the point is that you don't need hourglass. The tas tools are built in.