(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
Hello guys! I just made a TAS of the hardest difficulty of Push Mode in Tetris DS that is almost 20 seconds long! Hope you like/enjoy it! Depsite the fact that no one had the idea to make a TAS of Push Mode in Tetris...lol...

Game objectives

• Emulator used: DeSmuMe 0.9.10
  • Uses hardest difficulty

Comments

I decided to TAS the hardest difficulty of Push Mode, and it did go well! However, some luck manipulation was used to make the CPU act dumb at about second 18. Anyways the duration of the TAS would be about 17 seconds if we didn't count the time I was idling around. But meh, its just almost 20 seconds long.

Other comments

Well, I guess you guys always wanted to see a skilled player TAS the hardest difficulty from Push Mode in Tetris DS. More luck manipulation would have been enough to drop less Tetriminos at second 16.
Suggested screenshot: [dead link removed]

feos: This submission was improved by 387 frames. Rejecting for sub-optimality.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4135: letcreate123's DS Tetris DS "Push Mode Level 5" in 00:19.79
Post subject: Re: #4135: ToonLucas22's DS Tetris DS "Push Mode Level 5" in 00:19.79
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2120)
TASVideoAgent wrote:
Well, I guess you guys always wanted to see a skilled player TAS the hardest difficulty from Push Mode in Tetris DS.
You read my fucking mind.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Editor
The AI at the end is "I got this." The game says, "Sorry, but it's over. It's been over for more then three seconds."
When TAS does Quake 1, SDA will declare war. The Prince doth arrive he doth please.
LSK
Um, pretty sure you can just tap the "5" on the touch screen instead of scrolling to it?
Skilled player (1705)
Uh..... For a tetris run, which involves heavy luck manipulation, 26 rerecords seem suspiciously low. Anyways, voted "No" for pretty much the same reason as another run here minus the slow-mo.
Player (12)
There is really nothing impressive in defeating the CPU quickly in this game mode, even on the hardest difficulty. Also, it doesn't look like you used your tetrominoes in an optimal way, nor use your opponent's tetrominoes to your advantage. Voting no.
LSK wrote:
Um, pretty sure you can just tap the "5" on the touch screen instead of scrolling to it?
Indeed.
Post subject: Re: #4135: ToonLucas22's DS Tetris DS "Push Mode Level 5" in 00:19.79
Banned User, Former player
TASVideoAgent wrote:
However, some luck manipulation was used to make the CPU act dumb at about second 18. Anyways the duration of the TAS would be about 17 seconds if we didn't count the time I was idling around.
These two sentences, unless some kind of humor, make me think that you didn't optimize the run completely. I'd like if you specified with more clarity what you meant.
Editor
I'd just like to say I'm pleased you haven't given up on TASing ToonLucas22. After how your previous submission got torn to pieces, it takes a certain amount of determination to carry on. Remember you can always TAS for fun, you don't have to submit everything you make. I actually liked this TAS somewhat, but it seems other people more experienced than me picked up on egregious suboptimalities in the gameplay. As a general rule, if people can tell by watching it that it has mistakes, it won't get published. This leaves a separate question: does this game mode deserve its own category. If a highly optimised TAS came along would it be published?
Skilled player (1402)
thatguy wrote:
I'd just like to say I'm pleased you haven't given up on TASing ToonLucas22. After how your previous submission got torn to pieces, it takes a certain amount of determination to carry on. Remember you can always TAS for fun, you don't have to submit everything you make.
I agree that ToonLucas22 should definitely continue making TASes if he enjoys doing so. Before submitting the movie to TASvideos however, be sure to post it on the forum first, so people can give advice and see whether it is suitable for submission.
thatguy wrote:
I actually liked this TAS somewhat, but it seems other people more experienced than me picked up on egregious suboptimalities in the gameplay. As a general rule, if people can tell by watching it that it has mistakes, it won't get published.
I'm actually surprised by the lack of people noticing how unoptimal this TAS is. I don't want to sound mean, but this TAS is not even close to the site standard in terms of optimization. 26 rerecords is about the number of rerecords it takes to find the optimal frame to press start after power on, not to make an entire TAS. Literally 100 times the number of rerecords sounds reasonable for a TAS of this size. The lack of rerecords used on this TAS really shows, especially if you compare it to the gameplay in the published TAS.
thatguy wrote:
This leaves a separate question: does this game mode deserve its own category. If a highly optimised TAS came along would it be published?
I made a long post in an old Tetris DS submission thread about what I think should be published in terms of modes (I would also recommend reading the rest of the thread; fun discussion!). In short: I think a single movie completing all modes isn't too much to ask from a TASer given the size of a single mode. Pretty much all modes are interesting I think, but having like 8 published TASes for this game would be way too much. That's why I was always against publishing the single mode that was completed in the currently published TAS (especially since it is one of the most boring modes).
letcreate123
He/Him
Player (200)
Warp wrote:
TASVideoAgent wrote:
However, some luck manipulation was used to make the CPU act dumb at about second 18. Anyways the duration of the TAS would be about 17 seconds if we didn't count the time I was idling around.
These two sentences, unless some kind of humor, make me think that you didn't optimize the run completely. I'd like if you specified with more clarity what you meant.
I meant that I was lucky enough to get the CPU to drop his last tetrimino to the wrong place instead of that gap to the right which could have pushed me somewhat
"SmashManiac wrote:
nor use your opponent's tetrominoes to your advantage.
If you watch it well at second 15, I take advantage of one of the oponent's tetriminos, and make the thing easier. EDIT: I was wrong there. (sorry!)
Active player (497)
Optimisation aside, I think this game has a lot more to offer and, given how short this movie is, I think it'd be better to have a comprehensive movie for the game that explores all the different modes. Therefore, I'll vote no for this, irrespective of how optimal it actually is (or isn't).
As for whether I found the movie entertaining I vote yes. But I'm with the others in thinking the game has more stuff to offer.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Is it a single level run instead of a full game, or I am missing something?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
feos wrote:
Is it a single level run instead of a full game, or I am missing something?
Think of it like NES/GB Tetris (Mode B NES to be exact). One stage one level (well really level boosting yadda yadda (this doesn't go with Mode B))
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
So Level here is difficulty? If it is an independent mode accessible from start, it may be vaultable, and we wold need to discuss quality instead.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Skilled player (1402)
Feos: Would you be prepared to put 8 (or more) Tetris DS runs in the vault? If no, reject. If yes, then this particular TAS is not even close to the site's quality standards, so still reject.
Player (55)
I saved 378 frames. I'll edit this post to include the encode as soon as it finishes uploading to YouTube. Link to the replay file: http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/download/11506809890532686 Edit: Here's a quick encode.
Projects: Tetris DS Genesis Toys: Let the Toy Wars Begin
Player (12)
Baxter wrote:
I made a long post in an old Tetris DS submission thread
Link is broken; I believe you were trying to point to Post #217340. I really disagree with the idea of combining multiple game modes in the same movie personally. I can think of many problems doing so, such as: - Judging the relevance of multiple categories in the same movie - No easy way to obsolete the movie if a single part is sub-optimal - TASer/viewer cannot choose the category that they're actually interested in
feos wrote:
So Level here is difficulty? If it is an independent mode accessible from start, it may be vaultable, and we wold need to discuss quality instead.
For reference: - Push mode is indeed an independent mode available from the start - Level is the AI's strength, which is really bad IMO even when maxed to 5 EDIT: Thanks scahfy for the movie! Makes me want a fully-optimized TAS of Push mode now. :)
And still didn't tap it instead of scrolling.
Player (55)
Thanks for the kind words, SmashManiac.
Tangent wrote:
And still didn't tap it instead of scrolling.
Thank you and LSK for that suggestion, it saved 9 more frames. Link to video Replay file: http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/11507953222541447
Projects: Tetris DS Genesis Toys: Let the Toy Wars Begin
I'd suggest you to submit this run and let Baxter judge it, but he can respond on it already, on whether it is worth submitting. And this movie will now reasonably be rejected.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... want more!