Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Let's talk about the game, which we all like to play! It give us lots of fun and everybody enjoys it! I've made a short TAS: (EDIT 20-05-2023: the video is long gone. Please scroll down to see actual progress) I hope you like it! If you don't like it, please answer the question: Is it possible to TAS this game without desyncs? I passed the first stage for 3 times and haven't got the good result yet! What did I do wrong?
TASing is like making a film: only the best takes are shown in the final movie.
Post subject: Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003) - TASing
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1141)
Dimon12321 wrote:
Is it possible to TAS this game without desyncs? I passed the first stage for 3 times and haven't got the good result yet! What did I do wrong?
Is controller type set to gamepad or wiimote? Gamepad should be relatively stable if you set the settings correctly (Especially Dualcore off, Idle skipping off, DSP to either LLE option, EURGB60 off if NTSC game). Wiimote just causes desyncs sometimes.
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Ilari wrote:
Dimon12321 wrote:
Is it possible to TAS this game without desyncs? I passed the first stage for 3 times and haven't got the good result yet! What did I do wrong?
Is controller type set to gamepad or wiimote? Gamepad should be relatively stable if you set the settings correctly (Especially Dualcore off, Idle skipping off, DSP to either LLE option, EURGB60 off if NTSC game). Wiimote just causes desyncs sometimes.
Gamepad. Dual Core and Idle skipping on, DSP HLE emulation (fast), PAL-60 used (I agreed that this option caused desync, not looked twice), but I play GC game, not Wii! I thought it relates to Wii games, because this option is placed in Wii settings! I'll change my settings to yours, but I'm not sure the game will play 60 FPS. The games are confusing on this emulator: Resident Evil 4 works great without any speed-ups, but Madagascar's FPS is not higher that 10! You probably seen my processor: AMD Phenom ii X4 (Quard-core, 2,8 Ghz). It's enough to emulate GC game, isn't it??
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
Dimon12321 wrote:
You probably seen my processor: AMD Phenom ii X4 (Quard-core, 2,8 Ghz). It's enough to emulate GC game, isn't it??
You're not emulating the game, you're emulating the console, and it's a quite complex console meaning it requires A LOT of computation power.
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Warepire wrote:
Dimon12321 wrote:
You probably seen my processor: AMD Phenom ii X4 (Quard-core, 2,8 Ghz). It's enough to emulate GC game, isn't it??
You're not emulating the game, you're emulating the console, and it's a quite complex console meaning it requires A LOT of computation power.
Well, I skip BIOS loading =) I know I'm still emulating the console But anyway, is it enough??
Dimon12321 wrote:
Dual Core and Idle skipping on, DSP HLE emulation (fast)
Using Dual Core or Idle Skipping for TASing is a very bad idea. Also DSP HLE is a bad idea. Yes, the TAS-safe settings of these are quite a bit slower...
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Ilari wrote:
Dimon12321 wrote:
Dual Core and Idle skipping on, DSP HLE emulation (fast)
Using Dual Core or Idle Skipping for TASing is a very bad idea. Also DSP HLE is a bad idea. Yes, the TAS-safe settings of these are quite a bit slower...
I.e. it's difficult to say enough or not... I'll download the game again (I psyched that day and deleted the game) and write again. P.S: your DOS runs are awesome!
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Yeah, it's actually works! Thanks! Link to video (read the discription about the encode) I'm not sure I can TAS all game! Will I have desyncs if I load the state with a long progress (for an hour of length for example)?
Dimon12321 wrote:
I'm not sure I can TAS all game! Will I have desyncs if I load the state with a long progress (for an hour of length for example)?
Dolphin with GCpad is quite sync-stable, but not absolutely stable. Also, the movement seems odd. You measured that is the fastest movement method?
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Ilari wrote:
Dimon12321 wrote:
I'm not sure I can TAS all game! Will I have desyncs if I load the state with a long progress (for an hour of length for example)?
Dolphin with GCpad is quite sync-stable, but not absolutely stable. Also, the movement seems odd. You measured that is the fastest movement method?
I will improve this stage, of course! I think jumping will be faster if I make the second jump before I land. Also I'll try 1-frame presses in menu input.
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
8 years ago, I made an attempt to beat this game. Dolphin TASing wasn't that stable, I didn't know much about the game despite playing it hard in my childhood, my PC wasn't strong enough and I wasn't experienced in TASing. I beat Stage 1 Area 1 and dropped it. Now, the problems are fixed, emulators are more stable and I'm ready to do a serious attempt to complete the whole game. Enemies Show-up animation for an enemy is calculated from the frame when the radar shows the number of enemy(-ies) spawned, to the first frame it can take damage. Vanish animation - from the frame an enemy takes the killing hit, to the frame when its dot is removed from the radar (or 1 frame after the radar number changes). Mousers (white weak). HP = 12 (??) Mousers (green). HP = 24 Mousers (white strong). HP = 60 Mousers have a specific damaging mechanics. When they get hit by an attack which knocks down, they spin backwards like snooker balls. The velocity of a spinning mouser goes down. When a spinning one touches another mouser, it slides back a little and enters its stun animation. At this moment, mouser loses 4 hp (low speed) or 8 hp (high speed). Then, a spinning mouser hits that mouser again and again. If its HP reaches 0, it goes into the spinning state as well. That's why hitting 2-3 mousers results in the whole crowd getting destroyed. It's possible to destroy a white weak mouser with an air juggle attack too, but the condition is not clear. Sometimes they die, sometimes they don't. When a spinning mouser gets inside the area of another mouser which is about to spawn in, the victim takes 16 damage per a frame. That's why on Stage 6 some mousers die as soon as they pop up. Green mousers for some reason take human damage from shurikens (8 from a regular shuriken, 18 from an electric shuriken). Purple Dragons (white and green). HP = 18. Show-up animation = 66 frames Purple Dragons (orange). HP = 24. Show-up animation = 81 frames As soon as they show up, - green ones usually start surrounding you. - white and orange ones just approach you Foot Ninjas. HP = 30. Show-up animation: 12-17 frames. I guess, the "ceiling" height matters. You can do a double jump and hit one, but it immediately teleport to the ground and falls down from the ground height. Bo ninja vanish animation = 71 frames. Katana ninja vanish animation = 61 frames. Katana ninjas run towards you, if you are away from them. Bo ninjas stand still and throw shurikens, but it's possible to make them approach you, if you deal damage. If the player performs attacks (no matter successful or not) or a dash, and if a ninja is not knocked down, it falls back by doing a back-flip. That's why it's sometimes difficult to kill them fast. Nanobots (blue). HP = 30 Nanobots (big yellow). HP = 48 A nanobot (robot) can be knocked down, but it doesn't take 2 hits from neither of strong attacks (idle and running). The only way to hit it while it falls down and get up is air juggling. Unlike Foots, "A, dash, B" doesn't usually work against blue Nanobot groups because they attack faster then Don does a strong attack. Sometimes, "A-A-A" works a little faster, but it doesn't speed up the spawn of the next group of enemies. Foot Tech Ninjas. HP = 60. Show-up animation = 70 frames (1st frame when it becomes invisible). However, a falling enemy can knock them down as soon as their hitboxes touch each other. Vanish animation = 65 frames If you are, let's say, 4-10 meters away from one of them, it slowly approaches you, and when the distance is 4 meters, he waits a little and jumps at you. If you are far away from one of them, they run towards you. When the distance became ~6 meters, it switches to the tactic above. In some cases, it continues running towards you. Foot Bee. HP = 60 Show-up animation = 91 frames Vanish animation = 151 frames Cars. HP = 200 You can count "Bash!" words to see how much damage you have dealt. Explosion has a short range. It doesn't have much purpose. UPD: all other info has been moved to the submission text.
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Stage 1 is done. Link to video Attention: calling for movie verifiers! This TAS was made in Bizhawk 2.8 with Dolphin-5.0-16426 core implemented. However, I don't have Windows 10 to check if it really syncs alright. Please check if this movie fully syncs on your end and comment here, if everything went well. User movie #638201772197234242 Settings used in Bizhawk. From non-default ones, it has no memory card in Slot A, MMU enabled, Widescreen Hack on and Aspect Ration is "Forced 16:9".
Player (21)
Dimon12321 wrote:
Please check if this movie fully syncs on your end and comment here, if everything went well.
I successfully synced and dumped AVI with this configuration. Downloadable encode: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1okMeR6miDPNXcuL8PLxEzuoQDC948Aw0 (638201772197234242.mp4 240p60 AVC/AAC)
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
BlackWinnerYoshi wrote:
I successfully synced and dumped AVI with this configuration.
Great! The show goes on
Active player (403)
It synced up for me as well. Good stuff!
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Stage 2 is finished! A lot of progress have been lost due to a broken savestate which led to desyncs. Link to video User movie #638215734154023188 Again, I'm looking for TAS verifiers! BlackWinnerYoshi, FitterSpace would you please check it out?
Player (21)
Dimon12321 wrote:
Again, I'm looking for TAS verifiers! BlackWinnerYoshi, FitterSpace would you please check it out?
Well, it looks like it desyncs in Stage 1, Area 1 for some reason, and the previous movie still works just fine. It also looks like the inputs have been corrupted at some point, so it looks like something broke during the BK2 to DTM conversion?
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
BlackWinnerYoshi wrote:
Well, it looks like it desyncs in Stage 1, Area 1 for some reason, and the previous movie still works just fine. It also looks like the inputs have been corrupted at some point, so it looks like something broke during the BK2 to DTM conversion?
I was trying to convert it directly from TAStudio, but looks like it records one unnecessary frame because I couldn't jump to frame 0 right away. Here's a new DTM. This time, I exported the movie to .bk2 and dumped the movie User movie #638216767685209812
Player (21)
Dimon12321 wrote:
Here's a new DTM. This time, I exported the movie to .bk2 and dumped the movieUser movie #638216767685209812
It did work this time, including video dumping, but I won't bother sharing a downloadable encode tho sry
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
BlackWinnerYoshi wrote:
It did work this time, including video dumping, but I won't bother sharing a downloadable encode tho sry
It's alright. Dziekuje bardzo!
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Stage 3 is finished. Half way through! This time, the cursed point was Area 5. Two desyncs =( Link to video User movie #638242302295917953 Yoshi, would you please check it?
Player (21)
Dimon12321 wrote:
Yoshi, would you please check it?
It synced the first time, including video dumping
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
BlackWinnerYoshi wrote:
Dimon12321 wrote:
Yoshi, would you please check it?
It synced the first time, including video dumping
Thank you very much!
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Link to video Stage 4 done. My God, that was a desyncfest! User movie #638263035369548772 Yoshi, your assistance with movie verification is needed even higher!
Player (21)
Dimon12321 wrote:
Yoshi, your assistance with movie verification is needed even higher!
Oh whoops, I kinda forgot about this new movie. Thankfully, it still syncs so far (includes video dumping)