Post subject: BitTorrent Help
Okay, I'm pretty good with computer stuff even though I'm new to BitTorrent. That said, this thing is utterly frustrating me. I am trying to download the Castlevania II movie, and the download is the slowest I've ever had since getting a cable modem (currently downloading at 1 KB/seu, YUCK!) . . . This seems, to me, to be a problem with the implementation of BitTorrent. I read up on how it works, and it doesn't seem to be a very logical way to offer files, primarily because there's seemingly no real way to guarantee anybody having the download open at the exact same time you try to download. In addition, less popular games likely have no downlooad in the first place. So I have two questions: 1) Is there something I'm not understanding about how BitTorrent works? 2) Is there a way to play the FMV files so I don't have to bother with the stupid BitTorrent crap? (The only emulator I have is Nestopia as it's the best one, and it doesn't seem to play the file.) Thanks for the help . . .
Editor, Active player (296)
You have understood correctly, but one thing you didn't take into account is that there are users (well, at least me) who use a script that periodically checks which files need uploading (have clients) and automatically shares them. So if you start downloading a file, it's sure that under 10 minutes one of the hosts running that script will start sharing that file, if there were no other seeds at that time. Regardless whether you like BitTorrent or not, uploading capacity is not infinite or free and this is the only way I can make the files available to everyone. In re: FMV files, they are Famtasia movie files and have to be played with Famtasia. It's mentioned in the FAQ - you didn't obviously read it.
Ahhh. So I missed part of it. I didn't know anything about the scripts. I thought it was just, if people had it downloaded and were still running it, then that's the only way to download. The script thing makes it much more logical, heh. I do understand about bandwidth, that's for sure, as I have my own web site that I own and operate. That's another reason I asked about the FMV files instead, because they are much smaller in comparison. Needless to say, BitTorrent is the most complex program I've come scross in a very long time, heh. Thanks for the quick reply! I appreciate a webmaster that actually responds, unlike many others. On that note, is there anything I can play FMV files on? Is it worth it, or is there a drastic quality reduction?
Please read the post carefully so I don't have to type things three times per each user.
Whoops, sorry about that. Heh, that's what I get having five windows open at a time including chatting. Again, I apologize. *feels stupid* :p
Post subject: I understand Bittorrent less the more I use it
cat
What is wrong with this scenario? Excitebike (Japan/USA) Seeds: 13; Downloaders: 3 Download Rate: 1-2 KiB/s ... Ok, if the downloaders would not share anything and the seeds would give all downloaders the same priority, the average seed upload would be 0,46 KiB/s. That slow connections do not exist and if anyone had such slow connection, they would not seed torrents with it. I have not restricted any port that bittorrent uses for upload.
Guess one of the downloaders is with a huge bandwidth and he eats you? :) Can't really say without knowing the max-settings of all of the parties involved in that setup...
cat
Bisqwit wrote:
Guess one of the downloaders is with a huge bandwidth and he eats you? :) Can't really say without knowing the max-settings of all of the parties involved in that setup...
In that case it should not be like that for long since the excite bike movie was only 2,X MB. It took like 15 minutes to download. I have 10 Mbit. -.-
Post subject: Re: BitTorrent Help
I get the speeds up to 40 kB/sec with eXeem.
-- Fortune