Post subject: Monster Party
Im currently working on this time attack. I haven't check the time yet but im about half way through it. Expect to see it in the next few days. This game is really fun and silly here is a review. http://www.flyingomelette.com/monsterparty.html P.S can someone help me with my avatar it stops working after awhile?? Evilheart
Former player
your avatar doesn't work because it is linked incorrectly. It says "firewizard.g" instead of "firewizard.gif".
I look forward to seeing this! This game used to kick me around all the time, but I loved it. Then again, the last time I played it, I was horrible at most videogames...
Monster party is finally finished! I was aiming for under 20 minutes and i got just that. My final time was 17:46, i know this time can be improved by 10-30 seconds of small errors through out the game. It isn't incredibly boring to watch allthough the game dynamics are quite repetitive. Here is the link to the file. www.geocities.com/clansithx/MonsterParty_V1_evilheart.zip Evilheart
Former player
Hm, I'd never been to speedruns.org before like last night and I found this on there... Excellent job! One question though: Do you HAVE to kill every boss? I remember a magazine at the time saying that only one boss has the key in each level, and fighting the others was a waste of time. Were they wrong? Thanks, Josh.
but then you take my 75 perchance chance of winning, if we was to go one-on-one, and then add 66 and two-thirds ch...percents...i got a 141 and two-thirds chance of winning at sacrifice
It would appear at first that this is the case as you get the key after fighting the 3rd boss in most levels. But you onloy get the key after defeating 2 bosses except in the case of the top scrolling level where it takes only 2 bosses. Evilheart
Former player
Alright, I'm working on this. Level 1 completed in 6095 frames, which is somewhere around 4.5-5 seconds faster than Evilheart. So far FCEU is giving the right time...I think it gets messed up when you replay the movie, make a state, and load it while replaying. -Josh
but then you take my 75 perchance chance of winning, if we was to go one-on-one, and then add 66 and two-thirds ch...percents...i got a 141 and two-thirds chance of winning at sacrifice
Former player
Yep, FCEU got completely messed up as far as time goes now. Ah well... Evilheart said this could be improved by 10-30 seconds. Turns out I surpassed his prediction with a 33-second improvement...in the first two levels. As best I can tell it hardly ever seems worth it to get Bert, as the transformation sequences themselves waste a good 3 seconds each. EDIT: Actually I'll be redoing this now. I just discovered a couple techniques which could be minor timesavers, so I figured I'll do it now while I'm still early into this. -Josh
Former player
OK, level 1's completed again, 27 frames faster this time. On to level 2... -Josh
Former player
Drat, looks like I'll have to redo this yet again. Barring the discovery of any glitches or anything, this SHOULD be the last time. I just figured out that getting hit while facing backward gives you a nice little forward boost. This can be put to very good use in a couple places in level 1... -Josh
Former player
Alright, I'm back on this. Level 1 is now under 1:41. -Josh
Former player
Completed level 2, so I'm back to where I was before. This time the total time is around 4:30, so I'm about 4-5 seconds faster than my previous run and about 37-38 seconds faster than Evilheart at this point. Over 1/4 of the way through this game, already... EDIT: The current FCM is available for download at the link in my sig. -Josh
Former player
Level 3 is done, about 31-32 seconds faster than Evilheart. Total time is 6:15, 1:09 faster than him at this point. Looking at it, FCEU is actually keeping the correct time so far...hope it stays that way. EDIT: New FCM is up on my filespace. -Josh
Former player
Levels 4 and 5 are done. Level 4 was done 26 seconds faster than Evilheart, and level 5 was improved by 4 seconds (like level 1, it's so simple that there wasn't much to improve upon). So I am now 1:39 faster than him up to this point... EDIT: Level 6 done. This is the simplest and shortest level of all, yet somehow I managed to do this 6 seconds better than he did. So now it's almost 1:46 faster than his. -Josh
Former player
Turns out I was wrong about level 6 being the shortest...level 7 was even faster. I improved this one by around 21 seconds, meaning I am now 2:07 faster than Evilheart. Also, I managed to beat this level while still in Bert form (yes, I used him finally). This means there was no transforming back to Mark in this level, which accounted for 3 seconds of improvement, and there will be no transforming into Bert in level 8 (if you grab a pill while Bert your "time limit" for being him resets). That's another 3 seconds of improvement in that level, right there. EDIT: Level 8 done with 11 seconds of improvement...one more boss to go. EDIT #2: Last boss improved by 2 seconds, giving me a final time of 15:24, exactly 2:20 faster than Evilheart! Submitting this baby right now... -Josh
Awesome, josh im glad someone took the time to do this game. One thing to realize though on all my timeattacks is that i played them on full speed becuase speed slowing never worked right for me. Most of your optimizations were because of speed slowing to achieve better movements and timing. Much props and appreciation for this GREAT JOB!. Evilheart
Former player
Whoa, you did your stuff on full speed? Never knew that, good job you did in light of that! As a matter of fact, your movie was where I learned about the ability to quick-fall by pressing down and the crouching laser shots trick with Bert. Hopefully you'll be working on some stuff in the future. It'd be cool to see a slowdown Wizards & Warriors II movie, the one you did before already looked quite good IIRC. -Josh
Hey josh, i was wondering if you could send me your monster party final? its not on the submisions page and it hasen't been published, nor can i find it on your filespace anymore. Thanks for the props on my movies, i played the movies on full speed because i never took the time to actually learn how to effectivley use slowdowns. I was relying on my natural ability on the NES in most cases, however save states were the key. I really wish i had time to do more of these i still watch pretty much every movied published on this site. BTW josh i have a request for you if you have time. Could you do Willow? I started one a while back but never got around to finishing it, its one i've been waiting for from the site for a long time. I played it for endless months as a kid.
Evilheart
Former player
I do know of one bug for this game, and I had it put up on David Wonn's site a while back. Some enemies have weird hit detection, especially the crocodiles in the sewer, and you can actually crawl right through them. Unfortunately, it has no use in a speed run since they crawl so ridiculously slow.
Player (29)
I'm working on this one again, but it's coming along slowly because of 1. health issues, and 2. i'm not looking forward to the testing required to get optimal time.
"The way to move out of judgment is to move into gratitude." — Neale Donald Walsch DannyLilithborne on IRC
Former player
Awesome news Dasrik! My original submission may or may not be in Gruefood. I cancelled it, FWIW. It's not bad at all, but it didn't use frame advance so the bosses and flying are rather suboptimal. Some tips: 1. Alternately mashing A and B makes you stay in the air longer and thus deliver more hits with the baseball bat. However, this makes you move more slowly; flying is kinda tricky because of this, as you need to tap A just the right number of times. And in general, you want to press buttons as little as possible while moving forward. 2. Reflected projectiles deal more damage per hit than the bat, so try to combine the two when possible. 3. Walking into an enemy, turning backward at the last frame, and getting hit gives you a minor speed boost. From what I can remember, you should use this whenever possible EXCEPT IN LEVEL 3. Reason being, in level 4 there are maybe 2 or 3 spots where you will lose several seconds if you can't take a hit. After that, you will have enough life for every possible damage boost. 4. Bert is not worth using in the earlier levels, as his LAZURS are slower and no more powerful than the bat. The lone exception is level 4, where he can take a shortcut to the end boss. Even in level 5 with the javelin guy, you are better off sticking with Mark and manipulating the javelins. 5. In the last two levels, on the other hand, Bert is an absolute must. Not just because level 7 is all vertical scrolling, but also because he gets the almighty DOUBLE LAZURS. These deal many times more damage than the bat and make the rest of the game a joke. 6. In level 7, you only need to beat two bosses for the key. I just did the first two, but the giant spider may be better than the Reaper since you need to fly to reach the Reaper's weak spot. Definitely worth looking into. And that's about all I can think of! Good luck...you'll need it! ;) Best wishes for your health, Josh.
Player (29)
Thanks for the tips, Josh! A few things I found out in my last attempt to TAS Monster Party: -jumping and attacking is the best attacking option, because it stays out for a long time, continually hits and you only have one frame of motionlessness when landing from a jump; however, you have to hold a direction throughout the jump, or you'll put the bat away. Attacking on the way down with the bat is Bad (tm). -the main reason i'm putting off Monster Party is because of the damage taking; I'm not sure if I can beat the pyramid level if I don't have a lot of life, because taking damage there is a must to beat that level quickly. -Alternating A and B on each frame actually makes you stay in place while attacking which is awesome for stationary bosses; however, it resets the bat which is bad unless you're really high in a jump. I just completed the eggplant boss in my new run really quickly because of this. -Haven't tested with Bert, but the human is REALLY SLOW. Jumping makes you motionless for two frames and he gets a rather measly edge boost. I'm really not working on the run at all right now. Dealing with a rather nasty bout of something they call acid reflux disease. But I'll try when I have time.
"The way to move out of judgment is to move into gratitude." — Neale Donald Walsch DannyLilithborne on IRC
Get yourself some Prilosec. I've been on it since 1999 and it completely eliminates any symptoms for me.
Player (29)
Well, I've kinda given up on this run now - realizing that, eventually, I'm going to have to use the gargoyle kills the fun. Bert is an utterly unfun character for me. And Prilosec has helped :)
Post subject: Monster Party
Why didn't anyone TAS this game yet? It seems kinda fun. I think I'm going to try it - here's stage 1. Play it on "Monster Party (U).nes". For those wondering why I keep getting hit: I think I save time by turning around 1 frame before getting hit and thus moving to the right a bit faster than walking. It does look kind of stupid, and doesn't save me that much time, so I don't know if I should use it or not.
┗(^o^ )┓三   ┏ ┗   三 www.youtube.com/noooodl (That's right, 4 o's)