1 2
9 10
Post subject: PSX Core Development & Testing Thread
Active player (471)
This thread is old. The PSX core is now production ready and is supported like any other core. I've moved tidbits of useful information to http://tasvideos.org/Bizhawk/PSX.html --zeromus
Editor
Bug reports: TAStudio has ! as a button. I think that's either Eject (Open) or Power. Current version tested against: r8551 TAStudio's P1 LStick X, P1 LStickY, ect. text label is too big. Current version tested against: r8551 Using a controller with two analog sticks, and having EmuHawk without focus, will cause EmuHawk to accept Analog input but not Button input. Current version tested against: r8551 Vib Ribbon (PAL) works but the Audio in the How to Play is desynced Vs. the Video. This is a major issue for this game as it relies on proper Audio Video Sync to play well. Current Version tested against: r8572 Features missing: GunCon support. Games that use it: Point Blank, Point Blank 2, Point Blank 3, Time Crisis
When TAS does Quake 1, SDA will declare war. The Prince doth arrive he doth please.
Experienced player (703)
Excited of: -Rayman 1 TAS -Rayman 1 TAS -Rayman 1 TAS -Rayman 1 TAS -Rayman 1 TAS -Rayman 1 TAS -Rayman 1 TAS -Rayman 1 TAS -Rayman 1 TAS -Rayman 1 TAS -Rayman 1 TAS -Rayman 1 TAS -Rayman 1 TAS
Current: Rayman 3 maybe? idk xD Paused: N64 Rayman 2 (with Funnyhair) GBA SMA 4 : E Reader (With TehSeven) TASVideos is like a quicksand, you get in, but you cannot quit the sand
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
To handle a PSX disc database, can we download and include some variant of the redump.org database perhaps? Shall save a lot of headache building a new database from scratch.
Editor, Emulator Coder
I don't know for a fact, but I would assume their hashes are over the entire disc, and we dont want hashes over the entire disc, as it would take too long to run and be annoying. Exactly what hash we should use is an open question, but I don't think it should be that hash. What we can do though is, once we've decided on a policy, run a hashing tool against that database and a pile of redump discs, in order to produce hashes of our type. I feel like this might be what we end up doing eventually. EDIT 12-jul-2015 - Bizhawk now checks discs with a small 99.9% accurate identification hash and compares that to entries in its gamedb populated from a redump discset. Games will show up as "good" green checkmark roms if they pass this.
Fortranm
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (780)
Chrono Cross looks fine.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
I had a talk to natt some time ago about the feature modern emulators of 3D games have (and the one I've been forcing a lot lately) - anti-aliasing. N64 and PS plugins do it "the hard way" - by rendering the polygons manually, not what the game outputs, then you get as sharp polygons as your resolutions allows. However, it seems that can't be done with octoshock, since it doesn't even have plugins, only internal GPU that does all the job itself. So natt said anti-aliasing could be done "the soft way", by simply rendering the picture a certain way. There's also a note by someone who owned a PS, that in reality, games on TV look exactly as with non-antialiasing plugins, as in similar to the picture above. But if soft anti-aliasing could improve it, why not have an option? So the question is, would it look improved?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
creaothceann
He/Him
Editor
Games looked a bit better because the dithering was smoothed out by the CRT. You could run ePSXe etc. at native PSX resolution and enable FXAA in your GPU driver's settings to see if post-processing the image would look good.
Player (23)
I'm looking forward to be able to Rayman 2
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Every flipping emulator:
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
zeromus wrote:
I don't know for a fact, but I would assume their hashes are over the entire disc, and we dont want hashes over the entire disc, as it would take too long to run and be annoying. Exactly what hash we should use is an open question, but I don't think it should be that hash. What we can do though is, once we've decided on a policy, run a hashing tool against that database and a pile of redump discs, in order to produce hashes of our type. I feel like this might be what we end up doing eventually.
Their hashes are for the entire disc yes, and while slow I do think we want it, a bad disc dump can (like any bad dump rom) have the read error anywhere, just testing some sectors / files on the disc is not enough. At least leave it as an option to run a full hash check, that people can do when they report bugs, as they might be using a "false positive" good dump otherwise.
Warepire wrote:
Their hashes are for the entire disc yes, and while slow I do think we want it, a bad disc dump can (like any bad dump rom) have the read error anywhere, just testing some sectors / files on the disc is not enough.
I think the point is just to identify the disc, so we know version Y of game X is supported, not to tell you that your dump is bad. There are already tools to verify the dumps themselves.
Editor, Emulator Coder
Yeah, well, in principle, it's just to ID the disc. Although.. the main reason for IDing a dump is to find a bad one... but we've historically conflated IDing a dump with confirming that it's a good dump, and that is only because we can hash the whole thing. We want bizhawk to display a green checkmark and then you can TAS with confidence. To do that I think its clear we have to scan the whole disc. I had always thought we might have to add later, as an optional feature, a background thread that is a complete disc scanner. Maybe now we have to do it as a mandatory feature. Another option would be for the icon to be ambiguous and suggest a tool to use and print the hash that the tool better tell you for this disc, which has been ID'd by a partial hash, to actually 100% match.
Just done like a 26 minute TAS and not a single desynch. Tried to abuse saving and loading as much as I could to intentionally break it but nope. Rock solid as of yet. I am however worried. The game I am TASing is 2 discs. Will I be able to continue the TAS with the movie I have right now or when BizHawk finally does support disc swapping, will my movie no longer sync or even work?
Editor, Emulator Coder
feos wrote:
But if soft anti-aliasing could improve it, why not have an option? So the question is, would it look improved?
We'll have options. You'll have a nice blurry screen to match mednafen soon if that's what you want. I'm not a fan of blurring and I insist that octoshock have a non-blurry mode for debugging which is why I did it first, but mednafen's default approach looks pretty decent. Besides which, bizhawk should eventually support a number of post-processing filters. As far as plugin-style graphical enhancement, don't waste your wishes thinking about it right now. Mednafen's GPU plugin is still in hot development, supporting graphical enhancement for something like that essentially seals it off from all future development by turning it into a convoluted mess.
TheThrillness wrote:
Will I be able to continue the TAS with the movie I have right now or when BizHawk finally does support disc swapping, will my movie no longer sync or even work?
disc swapping is a priority. Your movie will need some hand-editing to repair once disc swapping is installed. I'm fairly confident it will work, but I'm not sure I can recommend proceeding just yet for that reason. Besides which it's still very new, and I'm glad you survived with no desynchs but before you get too invested in something you should probably wait and see what other issues we run into.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Talking about PAL version here, I remember that Crash Bash was one of the games that froze to hell on Console (some times) and Emulator. I see.... absolutely nothing. Now compared to the NTSC one which is just up above the PAL version doesn't show the screen but you can hear the sounds playing in the background. Another game which has a different issue was Magical Drop F. Magical Drop F shows up with a "PCECD firmware" complaint. I will confirm that Bishi Bashi 2 works perfectly fine with it compared to it not being TASable on psxjin for some bizarre reason, forcing you to use pcsx-rr then giving up on it because you're using pcsx-rr of all things.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Editor, Emulator Coder
I see absolutely nothing about whether you tested anything in mednafen. This is a required step for the crash bash problem. But the dump of cash bash I have comes with an SBI file which is not currently supported. It might be necessary to get the game to boot. I'll work on that soon. I don't have a game called magical drop F, so I don't know what you're talking about, but it sounds like the disc type detection failed. Probably your dump is terrible junk. I can't make any sense of what youre mumbling about pcsx-rr, but we dont need exhaustive support of games that dont work on pcsx-rr but do in mednafen. Pcsx-rr's days of relevance are numbered.
Spikestuff
They/Them
zeromus wrote:
I see absolutely nothing about whether you tested anything in mednafen. This is a required step for the crash bash problem.
My issue is I cannot run mednafen sadly, the only alternate for me running mednafen's ps1 core is through RetroArch. The core thankfully is mednafen, the result was it doesn't load the game. Compared to the other emulators they can access the menus access the minigames but cannot access the Story part of the game. I do realize Retro does it's own thing which makes me wonder about it.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Editor, Emulator Coder
retroarch doesnt count. their mednafen psx core has unknown changes. find a way to run mednafen. If youre on OSX, openemu might count, as long as you find out which version of mednafen psx core its using. If youre not on OSX, I cant fathom why you can't run mednafen. I will be glad to support SBI if I have a known test case. Google suggests crash bash isn't about the SBI files but some other copy protection, but I don't know for sure.
Lil_Gecko
He/Him
Player (94)
Stupid question but I can't find Bizhawk later than 1.9.1, where can we download the version with PSX ?
Editor, Emulator Coder
You build it yourself or find a friend to build it for you
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Spike: try MedGui.exe and run mednafen through it.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Sonia
She/Her
I'm really hyped about this. Can't wait for ps1hawk to become a thing. ^^ I wish you guys good luck on that!
Editor, Emulator Coder
Just a tip, if "can't run mednafen" actually meant "wont invest a small amount of time to learn how to use mednafen" then don't ever let me find out.
Editor
zeromus wrote:
Just a tip, if "can't run mednafen" actually meant "wont invest a small amount of time to learn how to use mednafen" then don't ever let me find out.
What about "I have no fracking idea how to use Mednafen?"
When TAS does Quake 1, SDA will declare war. The Prince doth arrive he doth please.
1 2
9 10