Post subject: Densetsu No Stafy 2
I got dibs on TASing Starfy 2 :P Anyway, my five year old sister and I are huge Nintendo fans and we are big fans of the Starfy franchise, and since Starfy 1's already been spun out of control (literally), I thought at taking a shot at TASing the next one over. Keep in mind, I've never done a Japanese TAS before so it may be a while before I finish my first WIP, and I also need time to figure out what the bleep Kyorosuke is saying throughout the game as well as everyone else. Phee. ビデオ ゲーム と 同様 に、 私 は 、 私 が 知って いる 限り と 神 の 目 で 、 私 の 上 を 見 て 私は 私 の 遅延 の 問題 を 打つ し 、 TAS を 実際 に 完了 ! いくつ か の お 尻 を バスト し て み ましょ う!
A wise man once said "Damn, that's one hell of a steak."
Post subject: Densetsu no Stafy 2 (伝説のスタフィー2)
Former player
Hey guys! Having never TASed a game before, I really wanted to choose something that had little to no speedrun community. I thought it would be fun to find tricks and route the game. Yushiro started a TAS of this, but they have had no activity on the game for months. I've already found tons of tricks and a few skips while playing through the game. I'll keep posting my TAS progress for this game and any feedback or help would be greatly appreciated :) WIP It's taken me a long time, but I've made a TAS of 1-1 that i'm happy with. http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/22364380789626825 General Speed Tricks Spinless Dash Normally after learning the Star Spin ability, you must perform one before Stafy can start dashing. This can be avoided by holding Down+B for 1 frame then Left/Right+B on the next frame. This can also be done by holding B before you take control of Stafy. Examples include entering a new area/level, after dialogue etc. Quick Fall Rather than letting Stafy run off a ledge, it is faster to have him jump off of one. He should only jump for 1 frame because he loses speed while in the air. This is a pretty common trick in platformers. Skip Text Boxes Pressing start 1 frame before a text box appears will skip the dialogue and save a lot of time over holding A to get through text. Quick Speed on Ice While on ice, Stafy's dash is slow at the start and requires some time for it to gain speed. But by performing a jump for 4 frames while holding the desired direction, you'll keep your speed you had in the air once you touch the ground. Damage Boosting A common trick in multiple games that also works in Stafy 2. When getting hurt by something, Stafy can be boosted in a certain direction depending on where he got hit from. This is useful in World 4 where you can get damage boosted by ice statues to skip certain parts of levels. Speed Slides This is the trick I'm most proud of, the Speed Slide. Any of the spots that you need to slide under allow any of the Speed Slide glitches to work. Normally when standing up before getting to the other side of a crawl space, Stafy will be pushed back until he is no longer OoB. I discovered there is a one pixel spot in a crawl space that will not push Stafy back OoB. If you jump while in this spot, Stafy will be pushed back OoB at a very fast speed. This leads into multiple tricks that I will detail below. But first, the setup for a Speed Slide is as follows. Stopping a dash for two or more frames, then holding down to duck slide allows for the easiest positioning. There is always 1 specific X coordinate that when duck sliding from, Stafy will end up in the OoB spot for this trick. It's obviously different for each level, but can be done easily. Quick Slide While in this spot, simply jumping will give you a short speed boost. If you hold down while in the boost state, you'll go faster and keep the speed for longer. This is not as quick as the other methods but is better for shorter distances. Super Slide Jumping every other frame will actually make Stafy clip OoB and repeat a jump pattern infinitely until you stop jumping all together. The Super Slide is done by jumping every other frame until the 13th frame. This will then shoot Stafy out at an incredible speed and can be sped up by ducking. The Super Slide will only shoot Stafy out from the direction you originally came from. Hyper Slide Jumping every other frame for 6 frames will put Stafy in another spot OoB where he will not get pushed out. If you press right 1 frame, then left for 2 after jumping for 6 frames he will shoot out at speed that's even faster than a Super Slide. This is by far the fastest SS I have found and can be done even faster if you duck during the boost. This is also the fastest movement method in the game. Super Jump Although not a SS, this is also a result of the OoB spot. If you hold Up+Right+A, Stafy will clip into the ground for a frame then launch straight up into the air very quickly. He will also fly pretty high up so this could be used to gain a lot of height to reach otherwise unreachable ledges. It should be noted too that most of these tricks work in the other GBA Stafy games in some form. The only one that doesn't is the Speed Slide because the Duck & Slide ability does not exist in the first game.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2284)
Wait, I've seen this thread before. Yup. Requesting a merge please.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Former player
I finally finished my WIP of World 1 (Lobber's Cave). I complete World 1 in 6:30:868. Changed a few things from 1-1 but very minor. 1-2 was such a bitch to optimize thanks to the bouncy enemies throughout the entire level. Optimizing swimming here was annoying because I had to avoid bouncing off of them. Then you are required to backtrack through the level to kill them all after learning the Star Spin ability. 1-3 was awesome. You have to kill a bunch of enemies to progress through the level and it was fun figuring out how to kill them all quick. 1-4 was my favourite part of World 1. It felt really fast and I liked some of the tricks I got to use here. I managed to also get perfect RNG for Konk, the boss of this level. Once he gets down to 2 health, he starts doing a bunch of random attacks. I got him to use his two quickest ones for the last two. http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/22938715145642092 I would encode my WIP's but...I don't know how to yet :P Sorry to anyone who wants to watch this on YouTube.
Skilled player (1706)
Weegeechan15 wrote:
I would encode my WIP's but...I don't know how to yet :P Sorry to anyone who wants to watch this on YouTube.
Play back the TAS and record as AVI at the same time.
Former player
I don't know how I never noticed that option jlun :P Anyways, thanks for teaching me how to do it! Here's my WIP of World 1: Link to video I've started making some improvements on 1-1 and I've already saved 7 frames just in the first room. I'll keep changing world 1 until I'm satisfied with it and move on to world 2.
Experienced player (630)
Here's some glitches people found in the GBA games, from the Starfy Wiki, maybe they're somewhat useful: https://www.starfywiki.org/wiki/List_of_glitches_in_the_Game_Boy_Advance_games#In_Densetsu_no_Starfy_2 (lel i found that my old starfy 5 TAS is in the wiki too, wasn't expecting that to happen)
Here, my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dekutony