Post subject: Opening Up ~ The Life Behind the Screen
GoddessMaria
She/Her
Reviewer, Experienced player (849)
So because of the unfortunate situation that has happened recently, I have decided to start this thread where everyone can talk about their lives away from the computer and their inner demons. I'll start with myself, from start to end... On Tuesday, May 17th, 1988, I was born in the Atsumi Hospital in Aichi, Japan. I was living with my birth parents for my first year of birth and ended up going with them to America on vacation...or at least it was supposed to be. My father was an achoholic drunk and was abusive as well... One particular day within the "vacation", my father came back to where we were lodging in Augusta, Georgia and went mad. He would hit on my mother a few times and would even come after me. Luckily for mother and I, someone came by and got us out of there for the time being. The next day, my mother decided to put me up for adoption for my safety and tried to get the man that she fell in love with back to the way he was. I had spent almost 7 years in foster care, unfamiliar with anything or anyone. I was a stranger in a world of people that didn't understand me nor I, them. As time progressed, I slowly learned English, but regardless, I was always considered to be a very troubled girl with lack of understanding anything. Lacking grasp of English, lacking education, lacking my birth parents, and lacking hope... I was eventually taken in by a family that had believed in me and wanted me around. I got into video games personally at 7 years old and fell in love with it. I attended school as every normal kid, but I had a bit of handicaps to endure such as the language barrier and my emotional state. It was very tough to keep going throughout the years, especially with people constantly blaming me for everything that went wrong, but I slowly learned more as time progressed. At 9 years old, I was going to a friend's house from school, but then a man that seemed to be in his early 20s came along and ended up raping me in isolation... After that happened, I grew a bit cold and developed a huge disdain for the male species. Despite the wrongs and everything that happened to me, I tried to hold it back so I could forget that any of it ever happened and that someday I will see my birth mother again. Near the middle of high school, I had gotten into a confrontation and all of the negativity that I held in for years consumed me whole. I began to despise everyone and everything. I was filled with sadness, anger, hatred, and unoptimism. On several occasions, I tried to commit suicide and always felt unwanted, unneeded, unappreciated, and always a major fuck up. As you can tell, the attempts at my own life has been foiled and was put in a mental institute for a while. Eventually, I met a woman and we fell in love. She and I were dating for a few years and we had talked about living together, which lead to me being in Kyoto-ku, Kyoto, Japan. We lived together in Kyoto for about 3 years and one day, I got to get my childhood wish. I met my birth mother again and we spent so much time together, bonding and catching up on all of the time lost. She explained to me the events of what happened up until when she put me into a foster home. Each day, I would go over and visit her as I longed to be with her again. I did get to meet my birth father again, but I was very angry with him for what he did to my mother and was stuck in America as a child because of him. I was held back from beating him up and he left us there. A few months after this, the woman that I was dating decided to cheat on me for someone else and left me heartbroken. I ended up moving in with my mother in Kizugawa-ku, Kyoto, Japan and she passed away 1 year later. She left me with the house and most of her possessions were split between myself and other family members. Her passing has affected me deeply as I had became mentally co-dependent of her. Even now, 5 years later, I still mourn over it. My family had done what they can to help, but it was tough. 2 years ago, I told my sister that I was going to leave on vacation to the USA so I could visit my adopted family again and that I would return soon. Due to financial issues, I ended up staying with my adopted brother as his roommate at least until I can get back on my feet and can return to Japan. Last year, I have taken up a goal of becoming a lawyer and still fighting with it. Occasionally, I still suffer from my depression symptoms and even have suicidal thoughts. I did go to a mental institute recently and found out that I have had Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) for a long time now. I often question my worth and still struggle with so much. Honestly I don't know what else i could do. ----- As I have said before, feel free to discuss your own issues and open up!
Current projects: failing at life
Skilled player (1150)
OMG, it's a terrible thing. If I meet these things, I believe I will be an anti-social. Relatively speaking, I born in a good family and living a better city, though there is a very hard life in 1980s.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
To start, let me share the refrain/chorus from the 2012 song Bruises, by Train, which I think is apropos right now.
These bruises make for better conversation Loses the vibe that separates It's good to let you in again You're not alone in how you've been Everybody loses, we all got bruises
Anyway, on to my sharing. I've been on a laundry list of medications for ADHD, which was my diagnosis starting at age 5, and Asperger's Syndrome, which my diagnosis was changed to at age 15. Presently, I take Risperdal and Celexa. I get frustrated a lot both when I have and when I haven't missed doses. When I have (missed a dose), saying my temper is hair-trigger is not even CLOSE to doing justice to how easily I get angry, whereas when I haven't, the meds themselves leave me in a kind of foggy mental state where my memory is absolute shit. I know I have to stay on those meds, because if I don't, I have a tendency toward self-harm out of a misguided notion I can't seem to break myself of, that "At least I'll heal, and it keeps me from taking it out on my stuff, or God forbid, someone else." I also have a lot of anger at my birth father, but that's not something I feel comfortable sharing here. To close, I'd like to share a sermon I gave almost two years ago, at the Henderson Settlement in Frakes, KY, USA. Link to video
Previous Name: boct1584
Editor, Expert player (2460)
Thank you for sharing your stories, GoddessMaria15 and boct1584. You are awesome.
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2123)
I've been writing and re-writing this post for the last few hours... I'm just going to stop caring about how I word things and let everything loose. My last long term relationship completely ruined my life. She verbally and mentally abused me for three years and convinced me that I not only deserved it, but that everything was my fault. She turned all of my friends against me, leaving me completely alone and isolated. She crippled me socially. I've only recently started actually talking to people in private again, and I still have panic attacks over it. She manipulated me so much using my excessive guilt complex, making me believe dozens of horrible things about myself that I can't shake, even though I know they're not true. I'm far more paranoid about everything than I was before, even going as far as thinking that my family is trying to kill me because I've been such a colossal fuck-up and failure. She convinced me that all my problems are meaningless and that I'm faking my depression to use as an excuse for my horrible behavior. And to think I want to be a therapist someday! I suppose I'm better off knowing that my advice is completely fucking worthless and wrong, then! There's nothing I want to hear more than the implication that people who listen to my advice are going to be more likely to kill themselves!
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Active player (435)
^i have found it's really common for people want to study psychology on the basis they would heal themselves first through the course and afterwards the others,but the more significant part is really consulting with a therapist yourself,are you guys doing anything like it?If you're not,do you know why not?
TAS i'm interested: megaman series: mmbn1 all chips, mmx3 any% psx glitched fighting games with speed goals in general
GoddessMaria
She/Her
Reviewer, Experienced player (849)
It's really sad that the world is a cruel place and i'm sorry about everyone's own sufferings. If only the world wasn't so unforgiving...
Current projects: failing at life
Samsara, your description of the relationship makes me think your ex may have narcissistic personality disorder. A friend of mine dated a person who was like that.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
Samsara: I've never had that kind of psychological harm inflicted on me by another person, but I tend to be super critical of myself and the things I do, more so when I'm off the meds. As an example, maybe a month and a half ago, I was in danger of getting myself and my roommate kicked out of our place because I had let it go for quite a while without cleaning, and our landlord was not happy about it, so I spent most of a Friday night and part of the following Saturday busting my ass getting the place cleaned up. The landlord was more than satisfied when he stopped by the following Tuesday, but in the interim I was scared of what he'd think, and half-convinced myself that I deserved to be thrown out, no matter how good a cleaning job I'd done.
Previous Name: boct1584
Banned User, Former player
What can I say? I am independent, I have relatively good health without major problems, I have a dream job that I like a lot and is relatively stress-free and earns me enough to live quite comfortably in my own apartment (a bit kind of like condominium-style), allowing me even extra expenses (such as buying new hardware and video games without having to worry about whether I have enough money for it), and I even live in a country where there are no major problems... Everything seems to be as perfect as one could ever expect. Except for that one minor problem: Chronic loneliness. And when I say chronic, I mean it. We are not talking about months, or even years. We are talking about decades. And it sucks even more that chronic loneliness falls just under the limit of people actually starting to care. After all, I don't have any "real" problems. I'm not clinically depressed, I do not have any health or psychological problems, nor do I have any problems with other people (such as somebody abusing me). There just are no problems that people care about. Except for that lack of close social interaction with other people. At some level I feel ashamed of complaining about it in this thread, where people have actual problems, where they have been actually hurt and are suffering, where they are actually depressed and have experienced actual trauma. I can't even attribute the loneliness problem to any physical or psychological disability, because there is none. In a sense, I'm the only one to blame; I'm the architect of my own loneliness. I can't blame it on anybody else. I know I'm not the only one. Chronically lonely people are plentiful, but they are mostly invisible to society. (After all, there is a reason why they are lonely.) Out of sight, out of mind. Sometimes some of them speak out. Many will be understanding and compassionate, and while that's good and appreciated, it's not very helpful. It doesn't fix the problem. Others will just ignore and dismiss such "first world problems". The most asshole people, however, will mock, ridicule and insult them, and that pisses me off to no end, especially when we are talking about a man. When a chronically lonely man who has tried his best to build close social relationships, to find companionship, but has failed time and again, then wonders out loud why, why that is, why when they have tried to become more social and be nice to people, these assholes will insult them by accusing them of thinking that they "deserve" something, that they think they "deserve sex" or whatever. You know, that whole "nice guy" narrative, where these "nice guys" are treated like complete shit when they dare to express their sorrows and wonder why it happens, when they try to ask for help. And that pisses me off to no end. Not that that particular thing has happened to me (I'm an extra level more lonely, I suppose), but I have seen it too many times, and I recognize the same characteristics as myself in those "nice guys", and it makes me want to punch those assholes who deride and insult them in the face. Chronic loneliness is a vicious cycle. The longer you are lonely, the harder it becomes to break the cycle. If you have no experience in social interaction, you won't learn it either when you can't socially interact with people. And that's not for the lack of trying. It's just that if there is no experience, it's hard to do anything. You can't do what you don't know how. You can, for example, go to a social event (such as a Christmas party), be six hours there, and make zero new acquaintances, and leave even more depressed than you were. And the thing is, chronic loneliness is not an inconsequential thing. Wikipedia says: "Chronic loneliness can be a serious, life-threatening health condition. It has been found to be associated with an increased risk of stroke and cardiovascular disease. Loneliness shows an increased incidence of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and obesity. Loneliness is shown to increase the concentration of cortisol levels in the body. Prolonged, high cortisol levels can cause anxiety, depression, digestive problems, heart disease, sleep problems and weight gain." I suppose that my advice to younger people would be: Don't let the opportunities that present themselves go. You might find this or that social event uninteresting or boring, but don't just dismiss it; go there even if you think you'll be bored out of your skull. If your friends invite you to go somewhere or do something, say yes; do not let the opportunity pass by. Be grateful if you have friends who invite you to do whatever. Social interaction does not become easier as you grow older, it only becomes harder. As you grow older, if you missed all those opportunities to socialize, you'll start finding out that there will be less and less such opportunities as you grow older. At some point you'll find yourself in a situation where you have absolutely no freaking idea what you could do to socialize, because there is nothing. All your friends will have married and moved elsewhere (and even if they haven't moved, it really doesn't matter). All those school activities and such will have long been gone. You will have no social network where you could interact with other people on a regular basis, and you will have absolutely no idea how you could build such a thing anymore, because there is nobody. At some point you just stop trying, and submit to your fate. After all, you don't have any "real" problems that people would care about. You will have resigned to live a lonely life for the rest of your existence. And nobody will care. Not enough to try to help.
ars4326
He/Him
Experienced player (765)
(I have since obtained increasing peace from this point in my life, although the memories of it have regularly haunted me prior for almost a decade. Nonetheless, I'd like to share it. Apologies if my past actions offend anyone.) A few months after turning 19 in 2003, I enlisted in the United States Army. I was, in large part, influenced by the money and benefits it provided (not wise, in retrospect) and, on a smaller level, had a sense of patriotic duty due to the events of 9/11 still being relatively recent. I visited the local recruiter's office and, a week or so later, was transported to the MEPS facility in St. Louis to complete the ASVAB, a comprehensive physical, and other processing requirements before taking the oath and signing the contract to enlist. I had a considerably high ASVAB score and was able to choose from different sets of MOS's, or jobs in the military. I recall passing up a really good one (air traffic controller) to pick a combat MOS of 19-D, or Calvary Scout. Again, not wise in retrospect. My report date back to St. Louis for OSUT (one station unit training; 16 weeks) training was four months from that point in early January. Upon returning home, my mother was not pleased with my decision (I don't blame her. I didn't even speak with her about considering this, beforehand). We did kind of work through it, though. My circle of friends were proud of me. Fast-forward four months later, me and a barracks full of recently dropped off recruits from the night before were abruptly woken from our brief two or three-hour sleep with someone in full BDU uniform bellowing "WAKE THE F- UP!!!" If I recall right, this person ordered all of us to line up in formation outside the barracks, around 4:30 am in the wintertime in Ft. Knox, Kentucky. We were all wearing just an Army issued pair of PT sweats, our civilian shoes, and a black cap (as that was all we were briefly issued shortly after being herded off the bus, the night before), shivering against the bitter cold. After around 20-25 minutes, no one in uniform came back out to order us further. As it turns out, we were just hazed by a Private from another processing platoon who already had his BDU uniforms issued to him. Still in considerable shock over the upside-down changing of culture, we were led back inside by the older members of the platoon; to maybe get another hour so or sleep before being abruptly woken again for the real morning formation. ...welcome to the Army? Anyhow, I'm going to skip ahead further to about the second month of OSUT training, while abridging details in order to get to the main points. Long story short, I talked myself into going AWOL and heading back home. My naive, 19-year old mind conjured up the battle plan of reporting to sick call in the morning and, on my way back to the training barracks, skipping over to the phone booths about two blocks over and calling a cab to take me to the airport. The cab driver didn't buy my story (as I still, very much, looked and had the demeanor of a recruit instead of an active service member) and refused to take me off base. Shortly afterward, a drill sergeant from a neighboring company caught me hanging around and asked (i.e. ordered) what I was up to. I answered honestly (although thinking back, I might have saved me a world of hurt by lying and telling him I was trying to sneak in a call home). He marched me back to my training barracks and into the company First Sergeant's room. The First Sergeant, after a stern talking to, took me in his civilian truck back to where my platoon was training at that day. I was then taken to one of my platoon Drill Sergeants who found out what happened. You could accurately apply the expression "all hell broke lose" on me, from that point onward. There's some vivid details that I don't recall (or, perhaps, don't want to recall). There was threatening and screaming in my face...and then me being taken to another Drill Sergeant's room were there was more threatening and screaming in my face (with only multiple Drill Sergeants and me inside the room). From that immediate night onwards, I was punished and placed in an extra duty/overnight watch after our platoon would return back from a day of training. I recall being in a very dark, very scared and depressed place. Word got out about my dishonorable act amongst the other Privates in the platoons--I was more or less shunned and treated like Gomer Pyle from Full Metal Jacket. Just about every Drill Sergeant knew my name now and would, from time to time, sneer it out as they saw me pass by. Here's a memory that still stings a bit to this day when I think about it: Shortly after being caught, I was called into my platoon Drill Sergeant's office as he called my mother back at home and ordered me to tell her what I did. As much as I tried to hold back the emotion, I was crying to her over the phone as I explained myself--while that Drill Sergeant mocked my crying sitting in his duty desk directly across from me. Let me tell you: As a man, that cuts deep. That one took time and prayer, years later, to forgive. Anyhow, in those first couple of nights as I was on extra duty/overnight watch, I tried committing suicide. ...not by cutting myself (as, thankfully, I didn't have access to anything like that) or anything overt, but by consuming at least a full bottle of pills that were issued to me while visiting sick call (I did go at other times, prior, for legit reasons). Now looking back, those antibiotic pills didn't do much besides leave me feeling a tad loopy in the morning when I was woken for PT (physical training). But as someone who was not in a sound state of mind, it was a genuine attempt. For my attempt at going AWOL, I was issued an article 15 (military term for non-judicial punishment) and placed on 30 days of extra duty. Long story short, I ended up overcoming this (and I thank God for it) yet still couldn't shake my reputation from the platoon. Even close to two months after the incident and on the eve of graduation, certain guys still verbally abused and threatened me. About a week or two before graduation, we received our orders to where we were to report to next for our active unit. Much to my disdain, the guy who gave me the most abuse ended up being my "battle buddy" for my next duty station at Fort Drum, NY. Furthermore, a lot of the guys who didn't like me were reporting there, as well. Experiencing first-hand how quickly one's reputation changed in training, I became greatly anxious at the thought of reporting to a new, permanent unit and being treated the same (if not worse) for the next 2 years and 8 months. Graduation went well, and family and friends made the long drive to Fort Knox to see me in my Class A's; looking like a sharp, new man. They were proud of me. Once home, I had about 10 days of accrued leave and was finally able to relax some. ...but the thought of returning back to that environment greatly bothered me. I realize I'm likely abridging considerable details, and might not quite be conveying the pain that I endured at that time, but I made the decision about a week into my leave time to not go back to the Army. (I'd love to finish this all in one post, but I've got some things that I need to do today. I'll edit in the rest later on, when I get time). edit: So I believe I've mentioned twice that friends and such were proud of me for joining up and graduating? Well, that changed once I decided to go AWOL for good. ..it's funny how in this world people can go from being proud of you to expressing scorn for you. About three weeks after I went AWOL, I tried to keep a low profile and one of my closest friends caught me out shopping one day. He motioned me over into his truck and we went for a brief drive. When he knew for sure what I did, I still remember what his initial response was to me (when talking about a possible solution to get me out of the Army): "Maybe I can take a sledgehammer to your leg!" The tone was the most hurtful, as he dropped me off soon after our brief conversation. Or, when I sought comfort from another close friend of mine, I made a surprise visit to his house one evening. After his initial shock upon seeing me, he told me that I couldn't even go inside his house because his mom recently started dated an ex-Special Forces veteran who would have likely had me turned in, on the spot. Or, one night as I was driving through town on a weekend night (months after), I was noticed and waved down by an old acquaintance who used to work with me at a restaurant. I was relieved to see him at first--until his then-fiancee yelled out to me from the passenger side seat, "I know you! You're the dumb*ss that went AWOL!" ^ I know these above memories are a bit jumbled. There are the ones that stick out in my mind the most during the 6 months I was AWOL and trying to figure out a solution to get out of the Army. I suppose it would be one thing if these incidents occurred from random strangers--but for them to occur from people I closely knew, especially, caused a significant amount of pain. Anyhow, abridging this story further, my mother drove me 16+ hours to upstate New York so that I could turn myself in to Ft. Drum and be punished and discharged from the military. I spent 2 1/2 months up there, where I was eventually served another article 15 and separated from the Army with a general discharge (under honorable conditions). Like in Ft. Knox, it didn't take long for my reputation as an AWOL soldier to spread amongst the active duty population. Long story short: I didn't make too many friends while there and endured quite a bit of emotional abuse and scorn. After receiving my article 15, I was placed on 45 days of extra duty (basically working from 0600 to 2200 hours, or much later on certain occasions). Winters in Kentucky pale in comparison to those in upstate New York. There were nights where the wind chill dropped down to -30 degrees F, as I was ordered to remain outside and chip ice off the parking lots. ...man. Looking back, it's crazy how much my life changed in the span of 16 months. All in all looking back, I realize that I wasn't ready to commit to something like the military. I more or less made the decision on a whim, and didn't take the proper time to research about it or speak to people who could help me form a more educated opinion. The inner pain it caused was intense; probably a 50/50 split from those I came across in the Army to some of my closest friends who didn't quite have my back "through thick and thin", after all. Again: Apologies to anyone who is patriotic and is offended over my past actions. If I could do it over, I wouldn't have joined. I just wanted to share a dark piece of my past, and to say that I've also made peace with it, forgiven all involved (including myself) to the best of my ability, and have moved on.
"But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." - 1 Corinthians 2:9
nfq
Player (93)
Warp wrote:
At some level I feel ashamed of complaining about it in this thread, where people have actual problems, where they have been actually hurt and are suffering, where they are actually depressed and have experienced actual trauma. I can't even attribute the loneliness problem to any physical or psychological disability, because there is none. In a sense, I'm the only one to blame; I'm the architect of my own loneliness. I can't blame it on anybody else.
Chronic (or even just plain) loneliness can cause suffering and depression, and many other problems. So if loneliness is a problem for you, and you would like to change it and get friends, I would definitely try to do something, if possible. Don't you have a family, and people you meet at work? I also have many years of experience with loneliness.
At some point you'll find yourself in a situation where you have absolutely no freaking idea what you could do to socialize, because there is nothing. All your friends will have married and moved elsewhere (and even if they haven't moved, it really doesn't matter). All those school activities and such will have long been gone. You will have no social network where you could interact with other people on a regular basis, and you will have absolutely no idea how you could build such a thing anymore, because there is nobody.
It might seem hopeless, but sometimes all it can take is one person. You probably have to have some willpower inside to change also, but if you find one friend, it can sometimes start a chain reaction (if that person for example is quite social, with many friends), so that you get to know many new people. Warp, maybe we could meet sometime, and let's bring Bisqwit and other Finnish TASers with us! :D I actually just moved to Finland (Turku) a few months ago. I don't have many friends yet, but in a few months I already have more friends than I had in Sweden in several years, so change is definitely possible.
Editor, Active player (296)
nfq wrote:
Warp, maybe we could meet sometime, and let's bring Bisqwit and other Finnish TASers with us! :D I actually just moved to Finland (Turku) a few months ago. I don't have many friends yet, but in a few months I already have more friends than I had in Sweden in several years, so change is definitely possible.
I for one would like that.
nfq
Player (93)
Bisqwit wrote:
I for one would like that.
That's great to hear!
That's nice and all, but it's not a solution to the core problem. I don't know what is. Perhaps there is no solution.
Active player (435)
well..it's a solution to their problems,lol.We can figure out things case by case,i guess.
TAS i'm interested: megaman series: mmbn1 all chips, mmx3 any% psx glitched fighting games with speed goals in general
Player (79)
First and foremost, I want everyone to know that I read everything in this thread. You all have an audience and I'm sympathetic to anyone in pain, no matter how trivial their problems may seem. GoddessMaria15: How agonizingly awful! Any one paragraph of your story would cause enough anguish to last a lifetime. It's good that you're getting help and, for what it's worth, I think you should be proud to have come this far. I wish I had more to say, but please contact me if you'd ever like to talk about it. boct1584: I imagine that wrestling with medication must be extremely frustrating because you are faced with a daily choice. Many depressed people can alleviate symptoms with medication, but simply face a long, uphill struggle. In your case, you have to choose what kind of difficulties you can or are willing to face on any given day. It must be difficult to know that an emotional outburst could have been prevented by taking a couple of pills or, conversely, that your inability to concentrate could have been alleviated by skipping a dose. Samsara: I second Aqfaq's recommendation that you investigate narcissistic personality disorder, if you haven't done so already. I suppose you probably already know about it if you're studying psychology. It's good that you can recognize your ex's mistreatment of you. Use that as a foothold. If you have a partner in your life now, they can be a guiding force, reminding you that you're being irrational as a result of the abuse you faced. My girlfriend faced years of abuse from her narcissistic mother and grandmother and I sometimes try to point out that she's being needlessly distrustful (or sometimes too trusting) because she's convinced that that kind of treatment is normal. Don't be ashamed of wanting to be a therapist! You are one of the most compassionate members of this forum and your comments regarding psychology are always thoughtful and nuanced. Warp: I take your chronic loneliness very seriously and I trust that you felt compelled to speak up about it because it means so much to you. I hope you can meet up with the other Scandinavian users here, but in case you can't, I suggest you take up a hobby, preferably one that requires or leaves room for a lot of social interaction. My first suggestion would be a book club. My second recommendation might sound a little unusual, but perhaps a knitting club might be relaxing and fun and allow a lot of free time for talking. In any case, find something that's right for you. I know there are good websites out there for finding people who share interests. ars4326: I've never had any interest in the Army since its culture is almost exactly opposite what I crave. Having said that, I had the opportunity to teach many veterans and work with them through the problems they face. Your post is a reminder that one doesn't have to see combat to be psychologically tormented by their time in the military. The one thing I'd like to emphasize is that you did nothing wrong. The Army is not worse off for you having been a part of it temporarily, despite the condemnation you've faced. I hope you're now in a better environment where you can shed your past and find unconditional acceptance for who you are, not the person the military wants you to be. I have a few skeletons in my closet and I'm in an ongoing fight both internally and externally (where appropriate). They're not nearly as bad as most of the problems people in this thread face and besides, I'm not really comfortable sharing them here. Ultimately, I'm a pretty happy and well-adjusted person and I try not to take that for granted. I sometimes feel sad, angry, or depressed, but at the end of the day, I know that life is pretty good on the whole, even if I have to cope with problems that are part of my life for no reason. If anyone ever needs someone to lean on, please feel free to PM me and I'll see if I can help. If not, I'll at least try to point you in the right direction.
Guga
He/Him
I will be part of this thread just to show my complete support for the topic!! I had an identity issue when I was 12, which it's really common: you want to have a lot of friends, you want to be popular, want to fit-in, and you think that if you try to imitate the others, you will get to your goal. Well, I did that, and all went downhill: my old friends wouldn't talk to me anymore because I became unlikable, the new ones weren't really friends since I got them because of a façade, and I developed social anxiety. For 2 years, I was a person with no true friends and tormented by the lack of a "real me", with a constant feeling of loneliness. I went to a therapist for all those years, but it did not help at all. I really wanted this problem to be solved but nothing from the outside was working, so I made a radical choice: I stopped going to the therapist and, without the help of anyone, not even my family, I faced the matter in my own terms. It took a full year to finish off this issue of identity, but I made it, found my true self, accepted it and went on to live my life with my "real me" around. And for the last 3 years, this way to live has worked succesfully, although I'm still struggling to completely overcome the social anxiety. But something that I learned from this event, and always makes me smile, is this: even when I'm physically alone, I never feel loneliness nor emptiness, because I know that I got myself to back me up, that myself who is so precious to me now after I let "him" loose.
Just a little warning before I post my story: I sometimes anger people without knowing at all. And I am a very closed off person, so I won't be covering some stuff. Now that's over and done with, let's go.. I was 5 years old when it all started happening, the bullying at school got the better of me and nonetheless, I started to develop trauma.. like some kids at that age I immediately didn't do anything about it. When I was 7 years old I met my first step father my mother decided to 'go' with.. He was nice at first, but then started abusing his power, and many things happened. Some being not letting my mother eat food, she protected my step brother and sister by letting us eat our dinner, lunch, breakfast. You get the idea.. Next thing you know, he turned on us.. the kids. I don't want to get too much into detail, but I'll just say this: he always abused us, he would get so angry at times and kick our arses, child abuse.. is when all my problems started to kick in.. I eventually became diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia and Asperger syndrome. It all went downhill from there. Next up is the high school days, and boy do I "love" talking about this.. I eventually started getting bullied again, and again didn't do anything about it. But when I stopped it from happening, I stopped going to school and became home schooled. That was the time I started living with my grandmother and eventually was in the worst state. By worst state, I mean not attempting to go outside, not communicating with anyone for around 6 years. 6 years of sorrow and not going to school and having all these problems just was the worst.. So, I got a councilor and now I am much better than what I am now. But some problems like anxiety are still there. I panic when I post stuff on forums, talk to people I don't know, and mixing that with my general shy side is a pain. But I can overcome that when I feel confident enough to do things like that. I also am the type of person that beats them self up. Not physically, but with words. I feel stupid at times and I don't let myself get away with it, and instead it results in me beating myself up.. if there's one thing I cannot stand at times, it is my own self. -- I would like to thank the first and other posts for giving me confidence in saying this as a closed off person. But hey, I guess I am not as closed off as I think I am, who knows.. I am a strange person. But one thing's for sure we can all agree on, trauma can hurt, words can hurt. Nowadays I just end up making projects like TASes and other stuff, because I enjoy that. And I just don't often make posts because of how nervous I get.. And let me assure you, it isn't anything about you all, it's just me and how I am. Shyness and anxiety are not pleasant to have in my opinion. Sorry if this is a cluster of a post, I tried sorting it out as best as I could. But again, thank you wonderful people for giving me some confidence in posting this.
Player (79)
Guga: Sounds like you're back on the right track! Dropping out of therapy can be risky, but it sounds like it paid off. Besides, sometimes therapy (or a particular therapist) isn't right for someone. While I don't know about the specifics of your case, I was always pretty awkward as a kid. I'm still awkward as an adult, but what I think has changed is other people's attitude toward me. The same kind of behavior that got me mercilessly picked on in 6th grade is now just seen as, "One of Bobo's quirks..." I try to give back to people when I can, but I certainly depend to some extent on others' warmth. As far as your situation, I hope you also discover that people around you enjoy your company for who you are. And if they don't, screw 'em. I think that anyone who doesn't have a debilitating personality disorder can find at least a handful of people who love and respect them regardless of who they are as long as they search hard enough for them. CGF95: I found nothing in your post to anger anyone and it's your decision what, if anything, you want to open up about-- heck, I wouldn't feel comfortable discussing my life on here. I'm a very private person as well. If you think it will help, remember this: You are not what was done to you. Because you were bullied and abused as a child, I hope you realize there is little if anything you could have done to prevent or alter your tormentors' behavior. Don't be shackled by the untrue notion that they have sent your life irrevocably down an alternate course. Claim ownership of your own personality, acknowledge the good, and try to work on what you perceive as weaknesses in yourself. In time, you will look back on your treatment like pages in a book, as something that happened to you and not who you are. I also frequently berate myself and although I'm not happy about it, I have come to realize that it's relatively common and benign. I suggest you let yourself say things like, "GOD! I'm such an IDIOT!" and then take a few deep breaths, reflect on it, and remind yourself that whatever you did is not so unforgivable that you need to verbally tear yourself down for it. Verbally castigating yourself only becomes a danger if you let it get out of hand and begin to think of self-harming. I know that a lot of the things I'm embarrassed about are so trivial that I doubt people even remember them. You don't need to push yourself out of your comfort zone, but I don't think you need to feel anxious here. I know of a handful of posters (myself included) who occasionally or frequently embarrass themselves and I think you'll find it hard to stand out above them in terms of irritating people.
Bobo the King wrote:
I suggest you take up a hobby, preferably one that requires or leaves room for a lot of social interaction. My first suggestion would be a book club.
Does a weekly session of MtG count? Casual MtG is a nice hobby, and there's quite a lot of social interaction involved. You communicate with people and there's a lot of smalltalk. The thing is, all this social interaction is limited to the game sessions. It results in zero interaction outside them. Tabletop RPG's are also another good example of this. Every week you are in a room with a group of other people for many hours on end, and there's an enormous amount of social interaction. You have to communicate with the other people a lot (both in-character and OOC). There's a lot of smalltalk and banter, there's a lot of planning, etc. But all this is, once again, limited exclusively to the game sessions. It results in zero social interaction outside the game. Both are "nerd hobbies". It may be that nerd hobbies don't usually lead to any actual social contacts, especially for a person who is not that young anymore. But on the other hand, they are the only hobbies I can be interested in. If I'm not interested in a hobby, I won't be able to do it for long. Motivation must exist to keep doing it, or it will stop. I suppose I have already pretty much given up, and I will live the rest of my life alone. I don't actively push people away (why would I?), but I have pretty much given up trying to find anybody as well. I suppose relationships are not for everybody. There are something like 7 billion people on this planet. Not every single one of them can have a relationship, even if there's nothing physically or mentally wrong with them that would be an impediment. I suppose I just happen to be one of those unlucky ones. At least I can take solace in that my situation could be a lot worse. (Still doesn't help the depression that solitude brings with it, though.)
Player (144)
Warp wrote:
Both are "nerd hobbies". It may be that nerd hobbies don't usually lead to any actual social contacts, especially for a person who is not that young anymore. But on the other hand, they are the only hobbies I can be interested in. If I'm not interested in a hobby, I won't be able to do it for long. Motivation must exist to keep doing it, or it will stop.
Don't knock it till you've tried it. Which is serious advice; you sound like you've dismissed most options (i.e. everything that isn't a nerd hobby) while you can't possibly have tried them all. Quite a few hobbies have free try-outs, you could always try going to those. Everyone at those is new to the thing being tried out, and to most of the other people there, so chances of talking to someone new are pretty good. This is especially true for paired or grouped activities (like salsa dancing).
I am glad to see there is still some good left in the world. People may be harsh, but there's always the other people that help each other out. It makes me more than happy to see that, it really does. I plan on becoming a DJ one day(hopefully it isn't a phase, but I'll try), because one of the things I love most is music. Music can help calm the mood, and I find it one of the best ways to inspire people as well. I guess I've lost my touch on the outside world, but I won't let that get the better of me anymore. I've got to try things, instead of avoiding them. Guess I am not as closed off as I thought I was.
nfq
Player (93)
Warp wrote:
I suppose I have already pretty much given up, and I will live the rest of my life alone. I don't actively push people away (why would I?), but I have pretty much given up trying to find anybody as well. I suppose relationships are not for everybody. There are something like 7 billion people on this planet. Not every single one of them can have a relationship, even if there's nothing physically or mentally wrong with them that would be an impediment. I suppose I just happen to be one of those unlucky ones. At least I can take solace in that my situation could be a lot worse. (Still doesn't help the depression that solitude brings with it, though.)
I think you said earlier that you work from home, so it could be a good idea to have a different (more social) kind of job, where you go to a workplace, because that way you would meet people. That way you can learn to become better at social interaction, if loneliness has made you forget. A psychologist/therapist could also help.
If you have no experience in social interaction, you won't learn it either when you can't socially interact with people. And that's not for the lack of trying. It's just that if there is no experience, it's hard to do anything. You can't do what you don't know how.
Social interaction isn't exactly rocket science :) You're a smart guy, so I'm sure you can figure it out. Just watch how others do it. Remember how you did it when you were younger. Besides, you don't have any problems with social interaction on this forum. Just do the same in real life. You could try to go to a bar or sit beside someone (like a woman, so that it gets more interesting/motivating) at a park bench and get to know them. For example, smile and say "Hi" (Moi :), tell your name, ask their name, ask how long they have lived here, tell something about yourself, ask what job they have, what they like to do in their spare time etc. There's a lot of questions you can ask. Then also make comments on their comments... but maybe you already know this, right? It doesn't matter if you're not good at it at the beginning. It's normal. You get better quite fast if you take one small step, because it's a giant leap. Just do your best. All people have problems, so if you have social difficulties, so what? You don't have to be a "like everybody else". You are good just the way you are. For me personally, being alone is "easy" in some ways, because it brings a feeling of comfort, because I don't have to try to meet people, but in order to feel alive, we usually also need some excitement.
Warp wrote:
Chronic loneliness.
Hey, have you looked into the activities of Skepsis ry or Vapaa-ajattelijat? I think they regularly organize casual meetings and public lectures, at least in Helsinki and Tampere. I haven't participated in any event, but I occasionally lurk their Facebook groups to see if something interesting happens. At least their past events seem good. For example, here's cosmologist Kari Enqvist casually talking about world views and Markus J. Rantala showcasing his research on evolutionary psychology.