Post subject: Duke Nukem:Time To Kill
IVIrdemonic
She/Her
This will be my 1st TAS that i am working on in terms of actually finishing it. Its about 45% completed. This is what i have finished so far The 1st video ended up getting scrapped because it was slow. The 2nd video should be in the finished project Link to video Link to video
Editor, Experienced player (608)
This game looks pretty cool, I'm surprised I haven't heard of it. It even has those classic Duke voices! Your TAS looks fairly good, though you might be able to go around some of the corners faster. At 4:37 for example, by sticking closer to the left wall and turning earlier, going diagonal to the next turn and then turning right as soon as you can, you should be able to save some movement time: (Green line is my suggestion.) If you think of how runners opt for the innermost lane on a track, or better yet, how race car drivers take diagonal paths through S-curves, that's about where I'm coming from.
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (480)
Agreed with CoolKirby. You'd better use TAS Input for optimization and your movement must look like geometry lines without extra strafing or "reangeling". By the way, knowing the movement mechanics of most 3D Shooters, it is faster to run and strafe at the same time? Jumping? Did you check this?
TASing is like making a film: only the best takes are shown in the final movie.
IVIrdemonic
She/Her
CoolKirby wrote:
This game looks pretty cool, I'm surprised I haven't heard of it. It even has those classic Duke voices! Your TAS looks fairly good, though you might be able to go around some of the corners faster. At 4:37 for example, by sticking closer to the left wall and turning earlier, going diagonal to the next turn and then turning right as soon as you can, you should be able to save some movement time: (Green line is my suggestion.) If you think of how runners opt for the innermost lane on a track, or better yet, how race car drivers take diagonal paths through S-curves, that's about where I'm coming from.
This is the first Duke Nukem game that came out on ps1 back before analogs where added to the controller so it is petty old. Thanks for you input i will surely keep it in mind going forward.
Dimon12321 wrote:
Agreed with CoolKirby. You'd better use TAS Input for optimization and your movement must look like geometry lines without extra strafing or "reangeling". By the way, knowing the movement mechanics of most 3D Shooters, it is faster to run and strafe at the same time? Jumping? Did you check this?
I haven't really tested if strafing and running is faster but it does seem like his legs do move a little faster when strafing + holding up. I might end up redoing it again as much as i don't want to because if you put away Duke's gun and use an action like but in the subway card on stage one that will allow Duke to move earlier rather then him sit there in pull his gun back out. I found that out in the middle of stage 3. I will for sure test out how fast strafe running is thanks.
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (480)
What exactly does the circle button (draw weapon)? Just an animation? And what is game speed in options?
TASing is like making a film: only the best takes are shown in the final movie.
IVIrdemonic
She/Her
I don't see where it says game speed.The circle button is to draw and holster weapon, also if its held and left or right is pressed it switches weapons.