Completes the game the fastest way
   Gets an unglitched ending
   No items used
   Takes damage to save time 
Now i Hate this game by my Tas
Different RNG compare to the SMS version
thank's to xy2_ for video

Samsara: Claimed, added YouTube module.
Noxxa: Fixed game system, game title, and branch name.

Samsara: Time for a decision that'll take longer to read than it will to watch the movie itself.
Well, let's get the positive out of the way first. This is much better than your previous submissions from a technical standpoint. At the very least, it looks optimized, on par with the currently published SMS movie. It definitely qualifies for Vault because of that... But there's the issue of the SMS run already being published to contend with. Comparing the two games and the two runs tells me that they are nearly identical: The graphics are almost unchanged, the level layouts are extremely similar, and ultimately there's no discernible difference between the two runs apart from different music and slightly different corridors to walk through. That's a bit of a problem.
I posed the question of publishing this alongside the SMS run in the thread, and there wasn't a single overly positive response. Some said it's not worth publishing, some said they don't mind if it is published, but no one spoke up and said for certain that it SHOULD be published alongside the other run. As for me, personally, I belong to the former category, deeming the runs to be too similar to warrant separate publications. So then the next question is whether or not this should obsolete the SMS run as the "preferred version" of this game, and that was also pretty quickly put to rest by the thread's comments. The run being a second and a half slower seemed to be the kicker, but there were also comments made about the GG version being slightly inferior for a game that isn't exactly superior to begin with.
As such, I'm going to reject this run, as it's too similar to the SMS run to warrant a separate publication, and it's inferior to the SMS run in both design and timing to warrant an obsoletion. I suppose I'll boil it down to "game choice".
gamerretro2, I hope you don't take this personally. The technical quality of the run shows that you have improved greatly over time. Had the SMS version not already been on the site, this would have absolutely been accepted to the Vault. The only problem here was the game. I wish you luck on your next project, whatever that may be.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4887: gamerretro2's GG Dragon Crystal in 01:07.04
Editor, Experienced player (817)
Player (23)
i now but the Gamegear version is different the game is more stable Different RNG
There was a post here, but it was rendered irrelevant; the issue was cleared up (see the below post).
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
This looks like the site parser screwing up. The next question is if the GG version is sufficiently different to be published.
Player (23)
in version GG music and stability of the game and the RNG Differente I think so
Editor, Skilled player (1505)
Why does it say emuVersion 1.9.1 in header file? Typo? 1.5.x still had .bkm files. It also says SMSHawk.
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
Player (23)
TASeditor wrote:
It also says SMSHawk.
I don't know but i have use GameGear rom
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
gamerretro2 wrote:
TASeditor wrote:
It also says SMSHawk.
I don't know but i have use GameGear rom
There is no GGHawk. SMS and GG (and the SG-1000) are all covered by SMShawk.
Synahel
She/Her
Former player
Wow almost as boring as my TAS I should nitpick that you keep directions pressed even when unnecessary but who cares (that doesn't affect the RNG). I'm unsure the GG version can crash like the SMS does though, haven't played it enough (and gosh i hate its music haha).
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2121)
Watching the two runs back to back (thank heavens they're short) isn't convincing me that they both deserve a spot on the site, as they're almost literally the exact same game with different music/stage layouts. I'll pose a topic to the audience rather than to the author: Is this version of the game better, worse, or exactly the same as the SMS version? Is there enough different to publish both runs side-by-side? Should this run obsolete the SMS run (assuming it's up to the site's standards of optimization)?
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Link to video High quality walking encode.
GoddessMaria
She/Her
Reviewer, Experienced player (849)
Thanks for the temp encode, xy2_! Now for my thoughts on this submission... While it does seem to be a little different from the SMS version of the game, from an entertainment standpoint, it flops in comparison. As for Optimization, nothing obvious stuck out to me yet... Not sure how to truly feel about it overall so I'll just go with Meh Vote.
Current projects: failing at life
Synahel
She/Her
Former player
Why would this obsolete my run considering it's a whole different game on another system, and longer than mine?
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
For what it's worth, it looks to me like the two games are basically the same game. The RNG mechanics do not make the run look any different to the untrained eye. Given that this is the longer run, and its graphics look worse, I do not recommend obsoleting the SMS run by Synahel. I'm leaning slightly towards publishing this alongside the SMS run, but it's not a strong preference. After all, the Vault is about speed records, and it matters if the system affects the speed. I think it would also look fairly inconsistent if improvements of the run kept switching the published movie's system from GG to SMS or vice versa. gamerretro2, you made a good-quality run. Unfortunately, that quality comes at an entertainment price :/
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
good run for the vault and looks optimised
Has someone actually checked to see if the RNG actually does work differently between the two? His previous submissions don't inspire confidence that assertion should be taken at his word, and everything else appears identical between versions.
Skilled player (1436)
Except music games look like twins, it is more like choosing ROM version for the same platform. Versions are so similar that if new run was faster probably it can be accepted as cross-platform improvement, however it is slower and there are no proof that it is better optimised (or at least equally well). So it definitely would be mistake to obsolete Synahel's run. Not sure that is worth to have two independent publications for almost identical versions of this game. Have one of them published is already more than enough imho. Uneasy case for judgement.
I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Current projects: NES: Tetris "fastest 999999" (improvement, with r57shell) Genesis: Adventures of Batman & Robin (with Truncated); Pocahontas; Comix Zone (improvement); Mickey Mania (improvement); RoboCop versus The Terminator (improvement); Gargoyles (with feos)
Active player (372)
Meh vote. I don't see why there isn't room in the vault for both. They're for two different systems, and they are not exact clones of each other.
Editor, Expert player (2015)
Can't say I was entertained, but eh it's good enough for Vault I guess. Meh vote.
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
ars4326
He/Him
Experienced player (764)
Samsara wrote:
Watching the two runs back to back (thank heavens they're short) isn't convincing me that they both deserve a spot on the site, as they're almost literally the exact same game with different music/stage layouts. I'll pose a topic to the audience rather than to the author: Is this version of the game better, worse, or exactly the same as the SMS version? Is there enough different to publish both runs side-by-side? Should this run obsolete the SMS run (assuming it's up to the site's standards of optimization)?
In terms of game version, it didn't seem much different to me, at all (although I do prefer the SMS version's more upbeat BGM). As for publishing both side-by-side...eh, one technically could, but I don't see much of a point in doing so, since the two are so identical and brief in length (no disrespect to the author, of course). As for obsoleting Synahel's SMS run, isn't this one about 1 second and a half longer? (unless I'm overlooking something?)
"But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." - 1 Corinthians 2:9
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2121)
By "obsoleting the SMS run", I didn't mean time-wise, I meant game-wise. If this run is proven to be as fast as possible, and people prefer this version of the game, it could obsolete the SMS run just for being preferred/more entertaining at the cost of some speed, but judging from the posts in the thread I can see that people really don't care about version choice, so this isn't an issue anymore.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... sweet!