Post subject: Freeware Game: Doukutsu Monogatari
I wanted to let everyone here know about a game that's been out for a bit, that's pretty fun. It's an action/adventure platformer, and it's fairly long and has a good storyline as well. Here is the link to the game, and since it's obviously in Japanese, here is the English patch. I hope you take some time to check it out--it's fun.
Player (67)
I LOVE THIS GAME! I have to say, this game is very good. It's the kind of game that looks unimpressive in screenshots, but is much better when you play it. The motion is very fluid and it the game plays like a dream. The music is excellent. The gameplay is excellent. The weapons are amazingly fun, original and extremely well balanced (so far, at least). If you have a gamepad (like me), it's even better. Although I couldn't configure it properly with the configuration program that comes with the game. I just use JoyToKey instead. Well, I guess I've said what I wanted to say. My new favorite game at the moment.
Oh wow this game is so awesome. And as Blublu said the music is great! Now back to play it more, as I highly recommend it.
Former player
VERY nice game. There's just one bad thing about games like this... they always get me sooo~ addicted, I can't stop playing until I finished it or I gotta go to school ~_~ (NOOO MOMMY! ;_;, DON'T BE SO CRUEL! THAT'S SO MUCH MORE IMPORTANT THAN SCHOOL! PLEASE LEMME STAY AT HOME! ;_;)
Nice lil' gem of a game. :) Though those bosses...eeeeevil. o_O Currently the tank thingy in the Labyrinth is ripping me to shreds with its homing shots...only I matter of time before I figure it out though. ...Is it just me, or does King resemble Knuckles the Echidna? o_O Both in appearance and character... And Balrog sooooooooo rules. "Huzzah!" *SMASH*
Former player
Very awesome game. If only I could read it to see what was going on. Also, I haven't played it long, but I collect many of those triangles which upgrade my weapon, then in a couple minutes I look and it's back to having no experience. What's that all about?
You saw that he included an english patch right? Anyway you gain xp from none to 3 max and as you get hit you lose levels of your weapons so you get rewarded for not being hit.
Former player
4matsy wrote:
And Balrog sooooooooo rules. "Huzzah!" *SMASH*
yeah =P I just finished the game, so there's no need to stay at home from school =)
Yes, the patch is in a seperate link in the first post. Download the game and unzip it first, and then download, unzip, and run the patch program (and the additional program, if you want to hear the game's music). And now, some secrets: If you don't exchange the Polaris Star in the opportunities that you have, eventually you can upgrade it to the most powerful weapon in the game. There is a way to save...someone, but it requires that you find an object before they need rescuing. Look in the lower right-hand corner of the largest waterlogged room, as soon as you can get there. As with the gun, if you don't get the first jetpack you can and continue on, eventually you'll receive an upgraded one. Finally, there is a secret level you can get to, after the final battle. It does require following all the previous steps, though.
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1300)
I'd like to play this game, but I can't because it runs at 0.0005 frames per second... what are the system requirements?
It says here "Windows 98, 2000, XP", and "DirectX 5" or later, so I'd assume at least a system capable of handling that. I'd also like to say that I had a lot of stuttering when I first ran the program, as well, but when I restarted my computer there were no additional problems. What type of computer are you running?
Former player
Silly me. Was so eager to play the game that I didn't even think to read it a second time. Anyway, this game is still awesome.
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1300)
Viewer wrote:
It says here "Windows 98, 2000, XP", and "DirectX 5" or later, so I'd assume at least a system capable of handling that. I'd also like to say that I had a lot of stuttering when I first ran the program, as well, but when I restarted my computer there were no additional problems. What type of computer are you running?
Windows XP, DirectX 9, NVidia GeForce 4, 2 GHz cpu, 256 MB RAM I was thinking maybe it was programmed for a specific color depth or windows 2000 or something but different settings and config options and compatibility modes haven't helped so far.
Works awesomely with my Xbox controller. ^_^
.... wow.
Player (67)
Yeah, this game is the reason everyone should have gamepads. I've already completed it twice. I was going for the secret level the second time, but I messed up at one point. Oh well, it's not like I don't like playing through ... AGAIN. This is the first game in a VERY long time that I've actually felt like completing more than once.
Former player
Blublu wrote:
Yeah, this game is the reason everyone should have gamepads. I've already completed it twice. I was going for the secret level the second time, but I messed up at one point. Oh well, it's not like I don't like playing through ... AGAIN. This is the first game in a VERY long time that I've actually felt like completing more than once.
I second that. The most fun game I've yet played this year. My SNES controller is perfect for playing that thing
Nitsuja, I found out that your problems may have to do with your graphics driver; I've seen some complaints like yours in other places, and the suggestion was to rollback to a previous driver, if that's possible.
Player (67)
Whew! I finally beat the game and got the best ending. That last level sure was a bitch!!! Fun, though. Umm... I don't have anything important to add. I just wanted to brag about my "uber 1337 skills". Nothing more. :)