Fog
Experienced player (626)
Please use builds from http://dolphin-emu.org/download/ . The latest master version should generally be the best to use for tasing in most cases. New features are being added in all the time to improve the tools available for TASing. Versions prior to 4.0-3595 are deprecated and will not be accepted in the future. Both Gamecube and Wii games are supported for TASing with Dolphin. For the Wii, Wiimote inputs are only supported through Emulated Wiimotes or TAS Input. Important settings for tasing: Dual Core: This must be off. This is very important, as it can cause desyncs, and even if it doesn't, it is impossible to properly dump video with this on. DSP emulator engine: DSP HLE is currently recommended due to multiple issues of desyncs occuring with LLE. DSP LLE can be used, but be warned that potential desyncs can occur with memory cards. Other Game Settings: These days, it should be fine to stick with what games recommend for settings, and shouldn't cause any desyncs. Graphics settings: Search for your specific game on http://wiki.dolphin-emu.org . Nothing should matter for tasing in particular, though you may want to disable all of the hacks. SRAM: It's possible for games to utilize SRAM values in games for RNG purposes, causing desyncs if they don't match up. For this reason, it's currently recommended to either copy the SRAM.raw file, or delete it prior to starting a TAS. This will be accounted for in the near future, but to remove any known risks of desyncs, it's best to start from clean SRAM. Desyncs: Desyncs can, and will potentially happen. We're constantly working on and updating Dolphin to be a better emulator for TASers. If you do run into a situation where you do desync, feel free to either contact myself on the forums or on IRC, or make a post on the forums providing as much information as possible. Tracking down desync causes can be difficult, so providing as much information as possible helps us to track it down and hopefully resolve these issues for new versions of Dolphin. Wii TASes with saves: As of 4.0-6512, Wii TASes which require save files will not work as it creates a Blank NAND (which does not transfer saves). To resolve this for the time being, use Dolphin versions prior to 4.0-6512. As of 5.0-2413, Wii saves will now transfer over to the blank NAND when creating a TAS if the save already exists for that particular game. Bounding Box: Newer versions of Dolphin use hardware optimized implementations of bounding box, which produce different results at different resolutions and graphical settings, as well as being tied to specific hardware. To avoid this while using the latest versions, use the Direct3D backend with Microsoft Basic Renderer (as to be hardware agnostic), or use version 4.0-5124 or older to us e the older software based bounding box solution. I will be updating this post as much as possible as soon as new information becomes available. Thanks to RachelB for the original topic.
Edits by feos: Dolphin revisions from 5.0-10039 to 5.0-10093 inclusively should not be used for TASing due to non-determinism across different operation systems, exposed by tweaks to Idle Skipping. It was fixed in 5.0-10095. Since 5.0, MMU must be explicitly enabled for TASes. Enabling it causes Dolphin to emulate crashes more accurately, which (in certain edge cases) helps ensure that whatever glitches you're exploiting in the game actually work on a real console. Go to Config -> Advanced and tick Enable MMU. Builds from 5.0-11231 until 5.0-13180 have audio/video desync in AVI dumps, first frame will be missing. If the first frame repeats, all its duplicates will also be missing. It can't be fixed on user end. Use older or newer versions.
If you don't have portable.txt in your Dolphin folder, it will store all the config settings in a User folder of your OS, and settings from various versions of Dolphin will mess with each other. So to reduce the possibility of desyncs because of this, always keep portable.txt in your Dolphin folder.
Do not use NKit images or other bad dumps, they are not sync-compatible with clean dumps. To check if your dump is good:
  • Right click the game in the list -> Properties -> Verify tab -> click the Verify button

Messed up stereo setting in the GameCube BIOS may cause desyncs that persist with default SRAM.raw in User/GC. Try setting byte 0x13 to 00 in a hex editor or refer to this post for clearing it through the BIOS menu in Dolphin.
Experienced player (704)
Lol RachelB topic brings back old Dolphin memories, thanks for info! :D
Current: Rayman 3 maybe? idk xD Paused: N64 Rayman 2 (with Funnyhair) GBA SMA 4 : E Reader (With TehSeven) TASVideos is like a quicksand, you get in, but you cannot quit the sand
Active player (432)
Thank you Fog for sticking out with my nagging. I hope this vital information helps all future tasers of Gamecube games. Don't know if this info also applies to Wii tasing.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Skilled player (1218)
I'm about 13 minutes into a Wii Muramasa run I started making with DPS LLE because of outdated information in the other thread. Is there a way to alter the .dtm so it doesn't automatically change to LLE upon playing it to see if it at least still syncs on HLE? If it doesn't, should I continue the TAS or start over with HLE? (Bernka recently submitted a TAS of the same game using LLE).
Fog
Experienced player (626)
Hetfield90 wrote:
I'm about 13 minutes into a Wii Muramasa run I started making with DPS LLE because of outdated information in the other thread. Is there a way to alter the .dtm so it doesn't automatically change to LLE upon playing it to see if it at least still syncs on HLE? If it doesn't, should I continue the TAS or start over with HLE? (Bernka recently submitted a TAS of the same game using LLE).
If you're using the same version that Bernka used, it's fine to use LLE as his previous TASed used it as well. We're still not sure for the reason of the desyncs, it's something I do plan to look into more.
JosJuice
She/They
Editor, Emulator Coder
Hetfield90 wrote:
Is there a way to alter the .dtm so it doesn't automatically change to LLE upon playing it to see if it at least still syncs on HLE?
Yes. Use a hex editor to change the byte at 0x8D to 1, then Dolphin will force HLE instead of LLE.
Skilled player (1218)
Alright, thanks for the info. Using HLE now and no sync issues from switching over.
Unknown394
He/Him
how do I enable autofire? It takes too long to do it manually with frame advance
I love Nintendo
JosJuice
She/They
Editor, Emulator Coder
Unknown394 wrote:
how do I enable autofire? It takes too long to do it manually with frame advance
Right-click on the button's checkbox in the TAS input window.
admiralpete
He/Him
Is there a way to stop recording a movie without stopping gameplay? Every time I try to stop gameplay on 5.0.1418, it gives some sort of error about not having the title in the NAND after which it requires a "non-graceful" shutdown (I think that was the way the devs put it). Anywho, the movie file created after the non-graceful shutdown desyncs immediately upon loading no matter which game I load. From what I've read, if I could somehow stop the movie before shutting down, I could avoid this error all together.
JosJuice
She/They
Editor, Emulator Coder
Oh, it seems like the stop function does graceful handling of Wii shutdowns before saving the movie... That's not nice. I don't know if it's the reason for your problem, though. You can save a copy of the movie without stopping emulation by using Movie > Export Recording..., but there's no way to actually stop recording without stopping emulation as far as I know.
Fog
Experienced player (626)
JosJuice wrote:
Oh, the stop function does graceful handling of Wii shutdowns before saving the movie... That's not nice. I don't know if it's the reason for your problem, though. You can save a copy of the movie without stopping emulation by using Movie > Export Recording..., but there's no way to actually stop recording without stopping emulation as far as I know.
There's a Zelda Edition fork of Dolphin which does have this, and should be simple to port.
Experienced player (543)
I have only a 32-bit Windows 7, I actually want to try some TASes of Wii, but unfortunately, version of Dolphin from 4.0-3595 (and some prior this version) are supported only for 64-bit version. There is no way to upgrade Windows to 64-bit unless formatting with that version but I can't do it due to some personal reasons. My question is: Is there any 32-bit version of Dolphin that TASVideos can support? If not, then is there anyway to build a 32-bit copy of the current versions of Dolphin (for everyone who have the same case as me)?
I still learn more about English. https://www.youtube.com/user/McBobX100
I wrote:
Working is the best way to achieve goals in speedruning. Hardworking is a pain.
Fog
Experienced player (626)
McBobX wrote:
I have only a 32-bit Windows 7, I actually want to try some TASes of Wii, but unfortunately, version of Dolphin from 4.0-3595 (and some prior this version) are supported only for 64-bit version. There is no way to upgrade Windows to 64-bit unless formatting with that version but I can't do it due to some personal reasons. My question is: Is there any 32-bit version of Dolphin that TASVideos can support? If not, then is there anyway to build a 32-bit copy of the current versions of Dolphin (for everyone who have the same case as me)?
Dolphin dropped 32-bit support early on into the development builds after 4.0, and adding it back into builds is basically impossible. 4.0.2 is probably your best bet, even though it's deprecated.
JosJuice
She/They
Editor, Emulator Coder
McBobX wrote:
My question is: Is there any 32-bit version of Dolphin that TASVideos can support?
None of the versions that TASVideos currently supports are 32-bit compatible, and I see no reason for them to start accepting older versions again in the future. So the answer is no.
McBobX wrote:
If not, then is there anyway to build a 32-bit copy of the current versions of Dolphin (for everyone who have the same case as me)?
I know it's possible to make 32-bit builds for non-Windows OSes if you do it on your own, but I'm not really sure how it works in Windows. If there isn't a simple way to do it, it should at least be possible with some hacking. But be warned: No matter how you compile it, there will be no JIT, so games will be incredibly slow. (To give a rough estimate, it might be a hundred times slower than normal!) And I'm not sure if you'll be able to sync TASes made using JIT. If you want a useable version of Dolphin that you can submit to this site with, you have no other choice than installing a 64-bit operating system. (If you don't want to format your whole hard drive, it is possible to dual boot Linux.) EDIT: Oh, 4.0.2 is just deprecated, not forbidden? I wouldn't recommend using it, but... eh. Maybe.
Experienced player (543)
Fog wrote:
4.0.2 is probably your best bet, even though it's deprecated.
JosJuice wrote:
EDIT: Oh, 4.0.2 is just deprecated, not forbidden? I wouldn't recommend using it, but... eh. Maybe.
I was actually using 4.0.2 and still, and I was willing to do some TASes, but as soon as I heard that versions prior 4.0-3595 will no longer be supported for submission, I shocked and said good bye my work.
I wrote:
Fog
Experienced player (626)
McBobX wrote:
Fog wrote:
4.0.2 is probably your best bet, even though it's deprecated.
JosJuice wrote:
EDIT: Oh, 4.0.2 is just deprecated, not forbidden? I wouldn't recommend using it, but... eh. Maybe.
I was actually using 4.0.2 and still, and I was willing to do some TASes, but as soon as I heard that versions prior 4.0-3595 will no longer be supported for submission, I shocked and said good bye my work.
Deprecated doesn't mean no longer accepted, just planned to no longer be accepted at some undetermined point in the future.
JosJuice
She/They
Editor, Emulator Coder
Fog wrote:
Deprecated doesn't mean no longer accepted, just planned to no longer be accepted at some undetermined point in the future.
Thanks for clarifying that. I wasn't sure what deprecated meant in this case when it comes to what actually can get accepted and not.
Experienced player (543)
Fog wrote:
You mean I can still try TASing with 4.0.2?
I wrote:
Fog
Experienced player (626)
McBobX wrote:
Fog wrote:
Yeah, go for it.
Experienced player (543)
Fog wrote:
McBobX wrote:
Yeah, go for it.
Cool, you made me happy. Thanks
I wrote:
Fog
Experienced player (626)
Updated information with bounding box and Wii saves.
Experienced player (629)
Ok, so it's been about a year. I don't know what's the recommended version of Dolphin now since I'm now able to use the 64 bit builds. What build should I use for TASing?
Here, my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dekutony
Masterjun
He/Him
Site Developer, Skilled player (1970)
Did you even try reading the first two sentences of the thread?
Warning: Might glitch to credits I will finish this ACE soon as possible (or will I?)
Experienced player (629)
Oh... Well I feel stupid... though using dev builds makes me a bit nervous. I mean they're usually unnaceptable for submissions so I'm a bit unsure of using one for Dolphin despite Dolphin being the only one where that rule is a bit less restricted.
Here, my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dekutony