Post subject: Legend of Zelda: Speed Run Challenges [NES]
Former player
This thread focuses on continuous speed run (no savestates or slowdowns) challenges for the Legend of Zelda. I decided to start this after seeing similar challenges posted on ZHQ, and I believe they will help in the production of a record-breaking "legit" LoZ run. Anyway, the challenge I'm proposing today is: Complete Level 3 with only 3 heart containers, the wooden sword, and 4 bombs. You must also pick up the Raft which is found in the dungeon, and Up+A is allowed. Time starts from the moment you control Link within the dungeon to when you touch the triforce. This is not a time attack, but you can savestate at the start of the dungeon, so you don't have to go back to the beginning if you die, but that is the only place you can do so. I'll be doing this challenge as well, so lets see how fast you can do it! :)
Former player
I already did this challenge and I posted my time in the LoZ topic, but maybe I'll try some more and see if I can improve it. My time was 1:54. By the way, I have a suggestion for future challenges. Maybe in addition to the other rules, there can also be a rule that you must end the level with a certain number of keys.
Former player
If you want a high-level challenge, there's always FirebrandX's Zelda Challenge. Basically: You must complete the game with the minimum number of items possible, and you must also reveal every room in every dungeon and kill every boss and miniboss (except Ganon).
someone is out there who will like you. take off your mask so they can find you faster. I support the new Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun.
Former player
yeah, but my focus here was to make a challenge that resembles what will actually be done in a speed run. Firebrandx's challenge may take awhile to do, and doesn't seem very practical to me. You're not supposed to kill any overworld enemies and you cannot pick up even the wooden sword. It's more something to look at after you can do a speed run of the whole game rather well. Edit: I'm doing the level 3 challenge now, I'll post my time up along with the video (if I manage a good time).
Former player
well, I tried 33 times (!) and I got 1:34 for level 3 with raft. I had to restart so many times because the red darknut wouldn't drop the bomb I needed, or I'd die in the process of completing it...even had a keese kill me once :|. Manhandla can get very annoying if the first bomb doesn't kill him completely, so I had to restart a few times because he'd kill me with his quick-moving, forcing me to redo the darknut room again! Could have done Up+A a little quicker too, but I was rushing a little. Hmm, I also have a bad reflex from ALttP of moving away from a bomb after dropping it... Video here: LoZ Level 3 Challenge Anyone else want to give it a try? Edit: I tried TSA's challenge of level 1 and I got 1:56. I think I'll work on it some more. Edit 2: I redid it again, and I got 1:50. I did get 1:45 earlier but I forgot to record. I believe the lost time comes mostly from the uncontrollable randomness. Anyway, the run is here LoZ Level 1 Challenge
Former player
I just watched it and you did lose some time from being unlucky. You didn't have to kill the 3 goriyas to get the key. You could have just went around the locked door between the map room and the boomerang room.
Former player
I killed the Goriyas because I wanted to get more bombs for the boomerang room and aquamentus. I think if I avoided clearing Stalfos room to get the key and bombed through the keese room like you said, it would have be faster than what I chose to do in the video.
Former player
alright, next challenge, this time much tougher: Complete Level 4 with 3 heart containers, wooden sword, and 4 bombs while getting the ladder within the dungeon I tried it and I got 2:41, which isn't too great. I lost too much time when fighting Gleeok. Looks like my level 4 skills need some polishing... Edit: heh, been trying level 4 for about two hours now. I can do the dungeon quite well with the wooden sword, but I'm still not consistent with Gleeok yet(he still manages to kill me sometimes). Video: Level 4 Challenge I had slightly faster runs, but this one is the smoothest.
just a question, how will you verify that someone did not use savestates?
qfox.nl
Former player
when you end up doing the actual speedrun of the whole game, and you want it to be official, you have to play it on a real NES so you can't use savestates. There's no point in pretending.
Former player
You spent a lot of time pushing the block. As soon as it starts moving you can start walking towards the stairway. Edit: Why is the level 4 challenge only with 3 heart containers? In a speed run you would have 4 heart containers, unless you skip the heart container in level 3, but without save states that's not such a good idea especially since it barely takes any time to get it.
Former player
It can be done with 4 containers, I just wanted to make it more difficult (but it's mainly because I made a stupid mistake of saving at the title screen, losing my level 3 completion savestate, forcing me to start over). But what you're saying makes sense in terms of speed run practice, this challenge should really be with 4 heart containers.
Former player
It feels like im spamming this forum entirely.. Anyways I have 1 question. And I haven´t read the whole thread so this might be unnecessary. If you do it at a real NES, how will anyone know it´s not fake? Film it with a webcam? Record it with a VHS-tape? Im just curious so no offence or anything like that.
/Walker Boh
Former player
vhs tape
Former player
If you're practicing for a speed run, you should also make rules for the challenges about how many keys you should start and end the level with.
Former player
I'll remember that for the next challenge. For the ones already posted, I've done them by starting and ending with 0 keys.
Former player
Anyone care to do Level 6 starting-ending with zero keys, 8 bombs, and the white sword ignoring the wand? I'm interested in seeing how much time is saved doing it without the magical sword. (I deleted my old run of this)
Former player
If you can beat me by 20 seconds in level 3, I don't think I want to know how much you can beat me by in level 6, so I better leave this challenge to you until I get some more practice and improve at the game, but I suggest that you finish your DKC speed run first before concentrating on other games.
Former player
I wasn't going to do this challenge of level 6, the whole idea of TSA's route got me interested. :)
Former player
Well I think it would be a good idea if you do a level 6 run, but finish the DKC run first.
Former player
Playing through the game so many times rekindled my interest again, so now I’m trying for run in the low 33’s. Up until now I’ve been using a modified version of the route we came up with, but the more I play this game, the more impractical the route seems. Not just the gambling, but also in terms of bomb drops and health for dungeons. I don’t even think the best Zelda players in the world can run through L8 with only 3 hearts and the white sword. The runs I did on the NES using this route barely get me 40 min. However, I switched to TSA’s route and I got 37 min on the fourth try, which kind of leaves me in wonder. So right now, I’m back in the planning and testing stage again. I just know it has to end like this: -Whistle to L3 -L7 -Magic Sword -L6 -Whistle to L2 -L8 -Whistle to L1 -L9
TSA
I'm pretty sure that is how it has to end. I think this may be a good start. Level 3 Level 4 Level 1 Level 2 White Sword Level 5
Former player
I found out Rodrigo's route, for his 35:50 run anyway. He really does go to 2 after 1. Did he tell you what route he used for his 33:51 run? I think I already know what it is, but I'm just curious.
Former player
If anyone is bored or has some free time, could you try these two challenges? I’m trying to get a good estimate of Wooden Sword vs White Sword: 1. Complete Level 3 with the Wooden Sword and 4 bombs. You can go in with as much health as you want, just try to finish as fast as you can. You must pick up the Raft, the key in the Zol room, and the key just north of the 2 red darknut rooms. Up+A is allowed. Timer starts the moment you touch the entrance square in the overworld and ends when you touch the triforce piece. 2. Complete Level 4 with the Wooden Sword and 4 bombs. You can go in with as much health as you want, just try to finish as fast as you can. You must pick up the Ladder and the two on path keys. Up+A is allowed. Timer starts the moment you touch the entrance square in the overworld and ends when you touch the triforce piece. Please post your best times for each level. More importantly, if you make several attempts, could you please also post your average time for each(or even just estimate your average). Michael, Deviance, I know you guys already did this challenge, but can you try it with the new settings?
Former player
very much out of practise, but I might give this a try.