1 2
18 19
Post subject: Work being done on Genesis/Megadrive rerecording
I modified source code of Gens to implement Movie recording. I could easily implement movie rerecording as well. I would like to know if someone is interested to use this feature. EDIT 2005-08-08 New bugfix version (9f) and source released EDIT 9e (2005-07-10) -Fix a bug with 3 player movie playback EDIT Version 9d (2005/07/03) -3 player support (check this option when recording a new movie. To record with 3 players, set the first controller to teamplay and configure pads 1,1B and 1C (3 buttons setting only) -Record new movie from now : Check this option when recording a new movie to make a savestate and record a new movie from it. To play back the movie, use the Play from savestate option and load the associated savestate. -New autobackup : Use use this option, check it on the Misc option dialog box. A backup will be created when a savestate is loaded while playing a movie or when the option "Resume record from now" is selected. The backup filename is (movie name).bak.gmv -New Input display : Show the keys being pressed ! To use this option, go to the Misc option menu. -New option in Controller setup to allow left+right / up+down -Other little features i forgot about. EDIT : Version 9c This version isn't as ready as I would like for public release but I won't be working in it until a long time. Furthermore, the official Gens with movie support is comming soon. New in this version : New in Version Test9c: -44khz is now the default sound rate -Response time of redefined keys improved when the game is paused. -Quickload and quicksave enabled when the game is paused -AVI framerate of PAL games fixed. -Slowdown check in the menu fixed New in Version Test9b : - Slowndown mode with sound disabled is now more constant - New option in Graphic menu: "Never skip a frame with auto frameskip". - You can now advance frames one by one when the game is paused. To do it, first assign an Advance frame key in Options/Joypads... menu. - You can now define a Movie path in Options/Directories... menu - You can now disable the blue pause screen effect in Options/Misc... menu - New framecounter. To activate it, go in Option/Misc... menu. Time is showed as minutes:seconds:frame. You can change its position too. - Read-only is now disabled by default. - If Read-only is disabled and you load a savestate while a movie is playing, the movie will switch to recording (like in Famtasia and Snes9X) - Movies are automaticly closed on reset. - A red circle will blink if a movie is being recorded. Know bugs : -Usual Gens problems -Problems with AVI greater than 2GB -Random freezing when loading savestates EDIT : Version 9a -Fix a random "ERROR OPENING MOVIE" bug. -AVI dumping. Only for testing. See the .txt file to see how it works. The rest of the announced additional features will come with TEST10. EDIT : Version 9 -New GUI for movie options (idea from Snes9x WIP) -Code cleanup (with help from Bisqwit) -New movie core. Better than Version 8. -New movie format including 2 new features : -Author note to tell your name and the rom version -Controller configuration. For information only. All movie are still compatible with all versions. To convert a movie to the new format, use this tool : http://step.polymtl.ca/~jyzero/gmvtool9.zip Drag and drop a gmv over the executable and follow instructions on screen -Features that will wait a future release : AVI recording and movie comments -A big thank you to Cherry, _Dan, FODA, Gigafrost, Jackic and nifboy for private WIP testing. EDIT : Version 8 -Bug fixed where movies longer than 65536 frames caused corruption Previous savestates are incompatible, but previous movies are compatible. EDIT: Version 7 -Bug fixed where movies bigger than 65536 bytes couldn't be saved -Resume record from savestate fixed -Changing visual settings bug fixed EDIT: Version 6 Lot of changes. See readme file. This version is an almost total rewrite of the movie recording core. It might be more stable, however it drains more resources. Be sure to read the readme file before continuing any speedrun as some options have changed. Please reports any bug. EDIT: Version 5 -Slow down speed is selectable -Toggle slow mode is assignable to game key -Pause is assignable to game key -Bug fixed where Movie files would not load properly EDIT: Version 4 -Quicksave and Quickload are assignable to gamekeys. -Very slow mode (20% speed) -Bug fixed in Play Movie where the last frame was currupted Should be the last version, unless a major bug is found. Movies from previous versions are still compatible. EDIT: Version 3 -Slow Mode (Auto frame skip only) -Movie options now available with manual frameskip and sound disabled EDIT: Version 2 : Play Movie bug fixed. EDIT: UPDATE Version 9f: http://step.polymtl.ca/~jyzero/gens_movie_9f.zip Test verion 9c http://step.polymtl.ca/~jyzero/gens_movie_test9c.zip Test version 9a http://step.polymtl.ca/~jyzero/gens_movie_test9a_exe.zip Source (current WIP) http://step.polymtl.ca/~jyzero/gens_movie_9fsrc.zip Test version 9 http://www.speedruns.org/downloads/gens_movie_test9_exe.zip Thanks to SpeedRunner for this mirror http://step.polymtl.ca/~jyzero/gens_movie_test9a_exe.zip Credits to Stéphane Dallongeville and other Gens developpers for his awesome emulator Modified source files from Ipher's source code v2.12: Beware ! Quick and dirty hack EDIT : grammar EDIT by Bisqwit: Now stick
Former player
I'm sure there are interested parties here, since some genesis games would be excellent choices for videos: Sonic series Streets of Rage series Vectorman series Contra Hard Corps Castlevania Bloodlines Rocket Knight Adventures Shinobi 3 Ristar and etc. In summation, bring it on. :)
Former player
Rocket Knight Ad-- I never could get past this one spot. I need to go back and retry it now that a few years have passed, but I distinctly remember getting my butt handed to me. Let's see, what could be added to the list? Gunstar Heroes, Kid Chameleon, The Haunting (Starring Polterguy) [Never could beat that last boss.], Beyond Oasis if it was done right, Comix Zone would have extreme style... And a Marathon Run through the single Rockman game that came out (with enhanced versions of games 1-3).... I can't remember the name, but I distinctly remember playing some game on The Sega Channel (God, I feel old now. ~.~) that starred a mummy...and you would throw your head at people. Damned if I can remember it. Speaking of heads - Dynamite Headdy! And maybe it's just me, but I'd love seeing someone beat Ultimate Qix on the hardest difficulty without dying...
Former player
I think you mean Decap Attack! Great game! I'd also love to see some Genesis speed runs.
Active player (410)
Evidently,I will do Streets of Rage series Double Dragon series Contra Hardcorps Castlevania Bloodlines Goldenaxe series etc..
Bugsy..... i loved that game and if it happened the bobcat will be the first one i run through
Former player
Bubsy? o.- I wouldn't mind seeing some of the better shooter games get bested, either. As I recall, there were quite a few evil ones. How about B.O.B? Yellow robot, number of odd weapons... Golden Axe... kick a midget and get a potion!
Post subject: Re: Work being done on Genesis/Megadrive rerecording
Active player (410)
Jyzero wrote:
I modified source code of Gens to implement Movie recording. I could easily implement movie rerecording as well. I would like to know if someone is interested to use this feature.
Well it seems we are interested ;)
BombAHead wrote:
Bubsy? o.-
errr yeah uhhh oops :-P i was thinking it'll be awesome if someone hacked the Kega Lazarus emulator, as it has the option to play game gear, sega master system, genesis and sega cd (of course, Gens can do that too, but it's never worked well for me :P) I'll probably try out Knuckles Chaotix too.....
Active player (410)
Well personally I prefer Gens. :-p
Former player
that would be great news, can't wait to see a Sonic 2 time attack.
Kage bunshin no jutsu!!!
Former player
Oh please let me see a Revenge of Shinobi time attack. That game blew me away.
Do Not Talk About Feitclub http://www.feitclub.com
First test version avaible. See first post
Former player
Wow, just tried it and it seems to work pretty well, although making time attacks in real time is way more difficult it's also more challenging XD, i tried it with a MegaDrive game, a Mega Cd one and a 32X one, it works flawlessly on MD and 32X but not in Mega Cd, save states don't work properly, but they neither do in the regular emu version, good work, thanks.
Kage bunshin no jutsu!!!
I'm suprised it works with the 32X. I haven't touched any 32X section of the source code I guess it's because it relies on the solo Megadrive code for the slave unit.
Former player
Now if only it had better controller input. >< I guess I'll be stuck watching and not making, like with Famtasia. Ah well. Long as SOMEONE takes out that infernal Kid Chameleon game, I'll be happy.
kid chameleon will be a very short run. would like to make it but cant config my controller :-/ dunno but gens closes during the button configuration. btw, would be cool if you could implement a feature that allows to make an avi out of the movies like virtuanes does. but great work i was looking so long for this feature for genesis thanks a lot :)
You can try configuring manualy throught Gens.cfg. Tell me what you want as button configuration and i'll tell you the keycode equivalent.
Active player (410)
BombAHead wrote:
Now if only it had better controller input. >< I guess I'll be stuck watching and not making, like with Famtasia. Ah well. Long as SOMEONE takes out that infernal Kid Chameleon game, I'll be happy.
I don't understand. Why? You can configure your controller.I have a Logitech Wingman Rumblepad anf if I remember correctly it works well with this emu.Otherwise use the keyboard , which ,personally, I recommend when doing timeattack.
Former player
Sorry, I shoulda been more specific. My controller tends to double/triple-input on controller setups like Gens has. In other words, when it tells me to hit the button I want to assign to 'Up,' it'll enter the up d-pad key for the first two or three directions. Button presses are the same way. So basically, it's impossible for me to set the dumb thing up. Quite annoying, that. Can't remember how Kega's controller setup works, but that's the emulator I've had to use, since it was the only one with a controller setup that I could actually use. Edit: Lesse here, going into the .cfg file... P1.Type=1 P1.Up=4097 P1.Down=4097 P1.Left=4099 P1.Right=4099 P1.Start=4119 P1.A=4115 P1.B=4116 P1.C=4116 P1.Mode=4118 P1.X=4118 P1.Y=4113 P1.Z=4114 The up button took out up and down... the left button ate the right direction... Start did alright. B button ate C... and I'm not entirely sure what the smeg happened to Mode/X. >>; M'joypad's a basic Propad Digital (There's an 8 in there somewheres.) if that makes any difference. I'll try fiddling with the numbers and see if I can't make it function right. x.X
BombAHead wrote:
Sorry, I shoulda been more specific. My controller tends to double/triple-input on controller setups like Gens has. In other words, when it tells me to hit the button I want to assign to 'Up,' it'll enter the up d-pad key for the first two or three directions. Button presses are the same way. So basically, it's impossible for me to set the dumb thing up. Quite annoying, that. Can't remember how Kega's controller setup works, but that's the emulator I've had to use, since it was the only one with a controller setup that I could actually use.
You should try to configure manually. At the controller setup, try some buttons on your controller. Quit Gens. Look at Gens.cfg. In the joypad configuration section, look at the codes associated to the buttons of your controller. Note them. Repeat to collect each code associated with each button of your controller. Then edit Gens.cfg and assign manually joypads buttons with codes of your controller.
Former player
Well, I'm pretty sure I worked out the Dpad, Start, A, B, and C. I just need to go download a fighting game or something to see if X, Y, Z, and Mode are functioning right. X.x Thanks for the help, though. Never woulda thought to check the config file. @@
All your base are belong to us. Twas actually a fun game until the emulator glitched up on me.
I shall have to try it out with Shadow Dancer and Gargoyles...and possibly Revenge of Shinobi and Shinobi 3...
is it possilbe to configure quicksave=4116 and quickload=4117 i find it very enjoyable to save and load with the pad...
1 2
18 19