MOD EDIT: hijacking this OP to reflect the brand new HL2 Done Quicker run. <3 samsara https://sourceruns.org/speedruns/half-life-2-done-quicker/ --- ORIGINAL OP BELOW --- Hey, we just finished our project over at www.hl2dq.net. Not sure if anyone here has heard about it, but figured I'd let the good guys at nesvideos take a look. We worked a long time on making this, over a year in fact, and a lot of hard work and effort was put into it. If you have any questions about it, the download comes with Comments, Questions Guide, and Tricks text files, and of course I'll be checking back on this thread. Also, no cvars or cheat commands were used in the making of this run. Right now our main download links are torrents, and we've had people report some real nice speeds on it. Don't use the Google Video link to watch it unless you're desperate, as the quality is butchered thanks to Google recompressing it, and it lacks the text files that accompany the video. Torrent Downloads (Insane,High,Medium): http://24.17.254.227:6969/ Game Arena (High Quality): http://www.gamearena.com.au/files/details/html/halflife-2-done-quick-1h35min Planet Videos (Medium Quality): http://nato.daddeln.de/pv/index.php?nav=files&action=detail&id=7264 Google Video (Low Quality, streaming): http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7597745302270855580 Introduction to the run from the Comments.txt:
Thanks for watching our speedrun. We had a lot of fun times and painful memories making this, and we're glad we have an audience to see it. In case you think we timed our jumps too perfectly, know that this speed-run was NOT focused on timing jumps. For bunnyhopping, we used a simple macro which presses the button assigned to "jump" repeatedly, for as long as it is held in. This was done to increase focus on less tedious and more complicated tricks in the run, as well as to prevent people from doing silly things like making an in-game script with hundreds of "+jump" commands and binding jump to the mousewheel as well as 12 buttons on a joystick to stomp on. In case you're wondering, yes, the above method has actually been used before the macro was voted as an option. This run is also not perfect. We have spent a long time trying to cut down on seconds throughout various maps, but some do have their weaknesses. Sometimes we may run into a pole, walk when we could have sprinted, or miss a teleport or two. Nevertheless, we spent a large amount of time finding revolutionary shortcuts and shaving off seconds, so it should at least be quite an undertaking to improve on this run significantly. For this run, we began timing the moment we were able to move as per SDA rules, and stopped the moment we lost control. These times were the tram opening and the explosion of the portal, respectively. We clocked in for a total time of ~1:36:50, with an SDA time of ~1:37:03. We finished with 26 non-traditional segments, most of them due to the random and difficult nature of their content, for a total of 93 segments. For every level transition we included a special _2.dem demo which is automatically generated while recording during a map change, to help bridge the gap between loading a new level and the autosave which occurs a few seconds afterward. However, they do not count as their own segment as they were not necessary and were only included for video continuity. If you have any questions about how we performed the tricks shown in the video, read the HL2DQ Tricks text as well as the HL2DQ Questions Guide text.
Wow, awesome! I'm definitely checking this out tomorrow (about to go to sleep). I didn't fully sit through the first one, but I expect this to be very good. You should consider putting it on the Internet Archive for good measure, too, since my experience is that a lot of hosts go down after a few years. EDIT: it seems that the forum software ate up your links. They're trimmed with dots in the middle.
Skilled player (1885)
Yeah, I watched this little beauty yesterday. Truly amazing job, you guys! I have been following the progress in the forum some too, and it's really great that this movie finally came out. :) Thumbs up! You beat the 1h 45min barrier. :)
Editor, Skilled player (1939)
So this is Half-Life 2 for PC? I guess using a macro controller constitutes tool-assistance. Using a macro controller to glitch a game is not new. However, at this site, we focus mainly on emulated tool-assistance, since emulators have tools necessary to achieve perfection. You are free to post this here, though, since there aren't any PC emulators. I'm not a Half-Life fan though, so I'm not going to watch. Sorry.
FractalFusion wrote:
I guess using a macro controller constitutes tool-assistance. Using a macro controller to glitch a game is not new. However, at this site, we focus mainly on emulated tool-assistance, since emulators have tools necessary to achieve perfection.
I don't really see what you're trying to say, FractalFusion. Sure, this is a forum dedicated to tool-assisted speedrunning, but this is an unassisted speedrun that doesn't really have to do anything with what we do. He's not implying that it does. It's just linkage to something the people here might like.
We posted it in a number of sites, you guys are just one of them :P I posted here to share the video, not because I considered this tool assistance or because I wanted you to host the video. I wouldn't even dream of putting it in the same category, because we do not use anything close to slomo, 1000's of savestates, or anything of the sort, and it took much too much effort and practice to make these runs. On top of that, none of the tricks or glitches require the script. The script itself merely utilizes a loop function. Scripts have been accepted before, and word is it will be accepted at SDA anyway. I'm not discrediting what you guys do, in fact I admire the hard work and dedication you put into making everything pixel perfect. To me this site is more about hard work to make a finished masterpiece, rather than a show of skill, and I respect that, which is why I thought of posting this here. But I also don't consider the run we did in the same category at all.
Editor, Skilled player (1939)
Omega wrote:
I don't really see what you're trying to say, FractalFusion. Sure, this is a forum dedicated to tool-assisted speedrunning, but this is an unassisted speedrun that doesn't really have to do anything with what we do. He's not implying that it does. It's just linkage to something the people here might like.
OK, I guess people have done that in the past. I wasn't trying to discourage anyone. I was just emphasizing the site's goals.
Oh, and I just fixed the broken links. Sorry about that.
Sweet. :)
Spacecow
He/Him
I saw this over at SDA a day or two ago. You guys are insane.
Ooh, very nice. I'll have to watch when I get home from work. Sounds like a great run. :)
"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." ( Pratchett & Gaiman: Good Omens )
Banned User, Former player
Max wrote:
I'm not discrediting what you guys do, in fact I admire the hard work and dedication you put into making everything pixel perfect. To me this site is more about hard work to make a finished masterpiece, rather than a show of skill, and I respect that, which is why I thought of posting this here. But I also don't consider the run we did in the same category at all.
It's very nice to get some positive attitude from speedrunners for a change instead of all that "fake cheat" crap. :) Regular speedruns and tool-assisted speedruns indeed form two quite distinct categories, and both forms are quite enjoyable in their own way. I believe most of the people who enjoy TAS runs (because they often look so awesomely cool) do also enjoy regular speedruns (because they show incredible human skills, besides looking awesomely cool too). I myself am a big fan of the QdQ runs and I always anxiously wait for new runs. It's too sad that so many people dismiss tool-assisted runs because they have this prejudice that they are "fake" and "cheated" and "too easy to do". All that is complete nonsense. There's nothing fake nor cheated about them (they are genuine and honest tool-assisted speedruns), and the amount of work which goes into making them is often huge (just look at the amount of work which has been put eg. in the latest rockman submission). It's sad that so many people are missing all the enjoyment of TASes because of their prejudices. As I said, it's nice for a change to hear positive comments from the speedrunning community. Not all of them are prejudiced. :)
Hoe
I'm currently working on Duke Nukem 3D, and I am astonished by your capture quality. You have a very impressive frame rate, resolution, and quality. I have been using TV out to my mpeg2 encoder so that I would net get lag from, for example, Camtasia, but you seem to not have the DAC->ADC loss nor the frame loss of a software solution. How'd you do it? :)
Well, you'll have to ask RandomEngy or hope he reads your response, because he did the capturing/video editing etc. :)
Former player
that HURT. ive never played Half-Life of any variety, but seeing how much you beat the other time by, i had to see it... and OMG... i was between astonishment and a complete headache from all of the quick movement. beautiful abuse of the bugs and what i assume are shortcuts in the game. it makes me wanna go out and try the game. kudos to you and your team.
Just got a chance to finish downloading and watch the High Quality version. Very, very cool, although like the original Half-Life run on SDA, I kinda wish there was a 'walkthrough' style one to see all the dialogue and scripting in its glory without having to actually take the effort to play myself.
Just watched it all, insanely impressive, very well done. I kept thinging "ooh, how're they gonna do this bit?" and then you'd just completely miss it out by utilising some dodgy Havoc physics. :)
Hoe wrote:
I'm currently working on Duke Nukem 3D, and I am astonished by your capture quality. You have a very impressive frame rate, resolution, and quality. I have been using TV out to my mpeg2 encoder so that I would net get lag from, for example, Camtasia, but you seem to not have the DAC->ADC loss nor the frame loss of a software solution. How'd you do it? :)
Half Life demos can be dumped directly to lossless frames directly. They didn't record it off the TV or anything.
Active player (432)
I wanted to view this for the first time but all the links that Maximus provided are dead (the google link works though). Does anyone have the run so I can download it?
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Former player
Borg Collective wrote:
Negotiation is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. You will be assimilated.
upthorn
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Active player (388)
So this is why everyone in IRC was talking about the SDA HL2 run. I watched this last Saturday, and I was totally amazed. On the one hand, I have difficulty imagining a TAS being any more impressive, but on the other hand, one must wonder what sorts of new tricks a proper TAS would uncover. But anyway, very impressive work there.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
Former player
The only thing that annoyed me was the long, boring scripted sequences. But other than that, it was very good.
Borg Collective wrote:
Negotiation is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. You will be assimilated.
Post subject: Half Life 2: Done Quicker
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
I can't find another Half-Life 2 thread, and I don't want to make a new topic for this, so I'm posting it here. Today, at 12 PM EST (16 GMT, 18 CEST), Half-Life 2: Done Quicker, which announced to complete Half-Life 2 in under an hour premieres on gamesdonequick's twitch channel. Video announcement below: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpo_F3c3A4U I'm excited. //The VOD is below: Link to video
Post subject: [Not a TAS] Half-Life 2 Done Quicker
Editor
When TAS does Quake 1, SDA will declare war. The Prince doth arrive he doth please.
Experienced player (630)
Um... why is this in the off topic sub forum and not in the game's thread again?
Here, my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dekutony