Post subject: SMV editing tool
GUI version: http://rapidshare.de/files/20962872/smveditgui.7z.html (200 kb) This program is based on VBM editing tools but modified to work with SMVs. You can read general description in VBM editing tools topic In short: It allows you to edit movies without having to use hex editor.
OK. Just tried it, It works perfect. Probably .smv does'nt include data of CPU's move. My Moves worked fine. CPU did different move, so i failed editing my record. Anyway good Tool.
Radz.
Well you see, "computer" player on snes can not generate absolutely random numbers, they are always calculated - from time and input. In some games input is ignored and time is calculated only from the beginning of level, so you can cut some frames or fix some keypresses to make movie shorter of more impressive. SMV movie, like other ones, contains only your input, and "computer" input is always calculated by the game. read about how emulator movies work for more information )
zefiris wrote:
SMV movie, like other ones, contains only your input, and "computer" input is always calculated by the game.
If i recorded a 2 player VS Match and want to edit with this tool... So how will this work? I think computer moves should be included in .smv file. When editing using Hex Editors, (for example Megaman) it will include enemies moves too, Am I Right?
Radz.
Shakespeare wrote:
zefiris wrote:
SMV movie, like other ones, contains only your input, and "computer" input is always calculated by the game.
If i recorded a 2 player VS Match and want to edit with this tool... So how will this work? I think computer moves should be included in .smv file. When editing using Hex Editors, (for example Megaman) it will include enemies moves too, Am I Right?
NO, it WONT. It only records input. All the rest is calculated anew every time. as timing and input are always the same - calculation results are also the same. If you modify input - calculation results may alter. BUT they may remain the same. depends on game and changes you do.
Senior Moderator
Shakespeare wrote:
When editing using Hex Editors, (for example Megaman) it will include enemies moves too, Am I Right?
To store enemies' movement, you'll need to store a ton of variables each frame (basically, a complete memory snaphot). The movies are just records of your keypressings.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Former player
I formated the PC and the link in first post expired. Anyone can upload it again, please?
Not more working on: DKC3 105% < Needs modified Nitsuja Snes9x+9, with reset recording.
Former player
Doesn't Maximus's tas movie editor work as well?
Borg Collective wrote:
Negotiation is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. You will be assimilated.
laughing_gas wrote:
It does, but you see, there are some cases where this kind of editing is more preferrable ) I, For instance, only edit VBMs using similar VBM decoder/encoder as it's most convenient solution for me despite of existing editors ) I reuploaded whole set ^_^ http://savefile.com/files/562342 Now it includes command-line tools for win32 and linux and gui versions for win32 for converting SMV and VBM files ^^ It does only handle singleplayer movies for now, and i don't think anything will change anytime soon.
Emulator Coder, Former player
zefiris wrote:
laughing_gas wrote:
It does, but you see, there are some cases where this kind of editing is more preferrable ) I, For instance, only edit VBMs using similar VBM decoder/encoder as it's most convenient solution for me despite of existing editors ) I reuploaded whole set ^_^ http://savefile.com/files/562342 Now it includes command-line tools for win32 and linux and gui versions for win32 for converting SMV and VBM files ^^ It does only handle singleplayer movies for now, and i don't think anything will change anytime soon.
Actually, the way I handle input in my editor is essentially the same as decoding the smv/vbm to a text file, as it shows input the same way, and you can add/remove frames and cut-and-paste frames the same as you would a smx/vbx file in notepad (or equivalent). If, however, this method of editing is preferable, I'd be happy to revisit my current methodology to make it more text-editor-ish. The only downside to this method (though it's not really a "downside"), is that it's a 3 step process (decode-edit-encode), versus a single solution (as with most editors). Personally, I would have liked to see zefiris update his editor, since I thought the input representation in tracks was actually pretty cool :) Either way, these are great tools. Keep up the good work man :)
creaothceann
He/Him
Editor
Maximus wrote:
it's a 3 step process (decode-edit-encode), versus a single solution (as with most editors)
Not really, you have to do the load-edit-save steps with all editors. Btw. you could add a pagecontrol and let the user switch between GUI- and text-based editing. ;) example
Love the Idea. really.
Emulator Coder, Former player
creaothceann wrote:
Maximus wrote:
it's a 3 step process (decode-edit-encode), versus a single solution (as with most editors)
Not really, you have to do the load-edit-save steps with all editors. Btw. you could add a pagecontrol and let the user switch between GUI- and text-based editing. ;) example
Sorry, I meant having to use more than one application for each step :P
In fact I prefer this way, using command line tools. Using file manager makes it nice and fast I just have ecoder and encoder in my movie folder. Ctrl+enter adds filename under cursor to command line. having file doceded once i can fix things that i dislike and then encode it. when it's done, both encoding and decoding commands are in command line history. It's the way I hexedit VBM. I don't use any other editors )
Former player
Thanks for the upload. =]
Not more working on: DKC3 105% < Needs modified Nitsuja Snes9x+9, with reset recording.