Post subject: Request- Top Gear 2
I just picked up this game in ROM format today and played it a good way through. I haven't played this game before today since I used to play it at my friends house during sleepovers back in elementary school. For those of you who haven't played it, it is (in my opinion) a pretty well made racing game with very good music. I think this would be a good game to TAS because you have your choice of "paths" as far as what to upgrade in your car and when. Obviously, being a TAS, you wouldnt need to invest in armor. But that still leaves a lot of paths from which to choose.
It seems as though snes9x actually emulates this one. Look what those punks did to my car! The problem with most racing games is that the player gets into first place, and never has to leave. I think that won't be a problem with this game, as it was more than likely programmed by satan himself. (I.E., the difficulty is evil enough to merit a run.)
Former player
One thing that can be done to TAS racing games is in the start leave the car stopped, and after some time, start the race, to ever win, but finish side-by-side with the second place. Yep, this probly is boring wait, but much less boring than start at full speed and run 2, 3 minutes only passing generic cars.
Not more working on: DKC3 105% < Needs modified Nitsuja Snes9x+9, with reset recording.
I find this game fast enough to be enjoyable watching someone in first when they are going high speeds. Especially during a nitro boost after your car is maxed out :)
Kaz
Former player
The game is way, way too long. If you win every race you'll be fully upgraded before you're even 1/3 through. It's fun to play but it would be mind-numbingly repetitive to watch. There's only so much you can do and there's like 40 races.
I just counted and there are 64 races. Maybe one could do a TAS of the first, say, 5 countries (countries are 4 races each) Edit: since the game becomes boring to watch after you max your car, why not consider the run over once your car is maxed out? That could prove interesting (do you buy the next engine or save for the best one, etc).
Kaz
Former player
It would be a technical demonstration at best. Even then, there really isn't much to show off in top gear 2. There are no stunts or interesting tricks to do that won't slow you down a bunch. Every turn can be taken at max speed. It's only a question of weaving your way through the other cars during the first lap. I like playing the game too but it's pretty barren as far as TAS potential goes.
Kaz, you bring upo a good point. Perhaps this isnt a good TAS game.
Active player (410)
Good game but with 64 races which takes a minimum of 2 minutes per track then o_O the movie will be pretty long.
Expert player (2581)
I have an idea for Top Gear 2 here, please watch and comment. Things you might already know: the speed of my car is 130 mph, with nitro it can reach 171 mph the speed of the CPU car is 186 mph, so, even with nitro it is impossible to win any race. To race in the last country, I used part of this trick, unless you use the entire trick it is quite useless on a real SNES, but on a TAS you can use the CPU car in order to beat the game.
I am old enough to know better, but not enough to do it.
Active player (417)
Ficou show cara! Muito bem jogado. Você faz certo em usar o Password, senão ia ficar muito repetitivo. Talvez o pessoal daqui não goste muito, pois são muito exigentes. Mas vejo que você tem um bom potencial para fazer TASes. Legal que você não deixa os caras ultrapassar. hehe Translation: Very good driving. Perfect curves and some fun moments. But maybe a little repetitive. You've a nice potencial for TASing.
Expert player (2581)
Que bom que você gostou, dá pra terminar o jogo sem melhorias no carro, mas em algumas pistas é impossivel chegar em primeiro sem comprar nada, e sobre a Password, ela só serve pra isso mesmo, eliminar um pouco a repetição do jogo, não me dá vantagem nenhuma sobre os outros competidores. Glad you like it, you can complete the game without improvements in the car, but in some tracks it is impossible to reach first place without buying anything, and about the Password, it serves only for this, remove a little repetition of the game, but it don't give me any advantage over the other competitors.
I am old enough to know better, but not enough to do it.
Active player (308)
The only thing I like in this game is the menu theme. "You might be missing some of the benefits that stereo can provide!" hahah...
"Genuine self-esteem, however, consists not of causeless feelings, but of certain knowledge about yourself. It rests on the conviction that you — by your choices, effort and actions — have made yourself into the kind of person able to deal with reality. It is the conviction — based on the evidence of your own volitional functioning — that you are fundamentally able to succeed in life and, therefore, are deserving of that success." - Onkar Ghate
Bisqwit wrote:
Drama, too long, didn't read, lol.
Active player (410)
pirate_sephiroth wrote:
The only thing I like in this game is the menu theme. "You might be missing some of the benefits that stereo can provide!" hahah...
I was always wondering what he is saying. I could hear the "You might be" and "that stereo can provide!" but couldn't figure out the "missing some of the benefits" and even after reading your post and listening what he is saying I can barely recognize these words especepially the word "benefits".
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Post subject: Starting this discussion back up/asking for feedback/help
Technickle
He/Him
Player (108)
It's been almost 2 years since anything has been posted here, and I am wanting to keep this discussion alive since I've created TAS'es for this game "all tracks in 2:19:48.15" I am creating a new TAS that hopefully crushes that time by about 8 1/2 mins maybe 9 mins. I am right now trying to solve an issue currently residing on Wall Glitches, namely on Aswan, the 2nd track in Eygpt that I am currently on. However, the issue lies with being able to make the car hit the Grey wall, get stuck, not hit the rock that is semi-connected to the wall, and finish the race within 9-ish, to 10 seconds overall. Doing this would make the run almost 3 mins faster than the current published TAS. There are other tracks that I would like to discuss as well, but 1 track at a time for now, so it's not confusing and complicated. Here is a Gyazo GIF that I took trying to get a visualization of what I'm trying to accomplish: https://i.imgur.com/BTy5PoF.mp4 (Image linked through Imgur) Here is the password with the current upgrades being used if anybody wants to help test this: J26P G6YD QPDP 28(HM ?87NN (Password is for anybody that wants to use it, no passwords will be used in this TAS I'm making).
Post subject: Almost got it to work ...
Technickle
He/Him
Player (108)
Track: Egypt - Aswan https://i.gyazo.com/e05bc22f6386cfc0c97fbce247403f1f.mp4 Managed to bounce back from the wall here, it's this sequence that seems to work, otherwise, I'm hitting the rock formation next to the wall https://i.gyazo.com/0ddb0748f79f046fb1df8e4ffc6d18a8.png for the correct inputs, not finishing the race quite yet, but that's how it's working for now ...
Post subject: Feedback for new TAS is welcome
Technickle
He/Him
Player (108)
New Top Gear 2 All Tracks TAS: http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/63167269714279374 Asking for feedback on this TAS I don't believe there any improvements to be made, however, I could be wrong! Possible improvements that I can think of, but have yet to been done in TAS format are: France: Nice Wall Glitch Germany Cologne Wall Glitch South America: Chile Wall Glitch Those are the possible improvements that I can't seem to find, however, if these are found this could just barely be a sub 2 hr run. all the track wall glitches noted are difficult to find and or perform correctly, but it is probably possible.
Post subject: Re: Feedback for new TAS is welcome
jmosx36
He/Him
Player (123)
Technickle wrote:
New Top Gear 2 All Tracks TAS: http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/63167269714279374
Temp encode: Link to video (The dumping took me about 10-11 hours) I will give you the feedback after watch the whole run
Currently making a route for Super Bomberman 5 200% TASes i'm planning: aero fighters, tg3000 (again), gradius 3, bust a move, bust a move plus, gradius rebirth, smg, smg2, mp9, gh3 (wii)
Level 1 looks good, without changing nitro I optimized the start-up a bit, but didn't get any time gain overall. Checking last level...
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Last race is also good. The weak spot of your previous TG2 movies was the start-up, where I easily optimized gear shifts and gained speed sooner, but here it finally looks optimal. The questionable turn where you drive on the grass is necessary not to crash later. Nitro usage I didn't test, because it would be a part of a full-blown new TAS attempt, since it's probably the hardest part of routing. If no one feels like testing other levels for a week, I'd consider this worth submitting.
jmosx36
He/Him
Player (123)
I have some questions: In Britain - Loch Ness (12:53 in my temp encode) there's a "turbo pad" on the floor, it was convenient to get that turbo while the nitro was active? In Britain - London (16:20), that wall glitch can be performed twice?
Currently making a route for Super Bomberman 5 200% TASes i'm planning: aero fighters, tg3000 (again), gradius 3, bust a move, bust a move plus, gradius rebirth, smg, smg2, mp9, gh3 (wii)
Post subject: answer for jmosx36
Technickle
He/Him
Player (108)
Speed Up Answer: When going through the speed up, it acts as a half nitro, so if you use a full nitro on top of that, it will expand the original nitro timer. London Answer: unfortunately, it can't be done twice as I am going way to slow for it to work again.
jmosx36
He/Him
Player (123)
a quick question could a 2 player strategy similar to TG1 work on TG2?
Technickle
He/Him
Player (108)
2P rather than 1P, Answer: No, Unfortunately, since TG2 introduces more realism to the racing aspect, if a CPU or Human player car touches another car, from the side, 'front' or back, the corresponding player will lose valuable speed.