One speedrun I'd like to see is Squashed. It's a really fun game, and I imagine it'd be even more fun to see it played really fast. But I'm not sure if I want to try and make one. I've never done a run before, and I'm not really that good a gamer in the first place- I totally rely on savestates. Even with savestates, I died a couple times on the crazy auto-scrolling level where you have to jump from moving platforms suspended over nothing. Every now and then I do something cool by accident, but nowhere near as many required for an entertaining run. So I'm wondering, do I dare make one, or should I let someone else give it a shot?
Active player (422)
Looks like a pretty cute game, but it was only exists as a prototype. It might be better to use Ninja Jajamaru: Ginga Daisakusen. That aside, you don't need any playing skill, really, to make a TAS. Just patience. Relying totally on savestates is a good thing. But this game sounds like it may have complicated movement...? I'll look closer at the game (ie play it) another day, what with being busy and all. But if you want it done, I'd wager you could do it if you have the time and energy. edit: Looks really good for a TAS, by the way. I'll start a testrun when I have time if you really don't want to do it.
Thanks for the advice. Why do you think I should use the original Japanese version?
Active player (422)
I just figure that since Squashed wasn't released, it might save some trouble using the official release. But, maybe it doen't even matter what version you use, consdering how little seems to be changed. edit: On another note, I got around to testing a bit today. Thanks to the dash, movement is indeed fairly complicated. I'm not sure the best way to approach this game. edit again: Oh, okay. If you hold B and keep jumping as soon as possible, you seem to keep your dash speed. Should be easy enough to make. There doesn't seem to be any lag to worry about, at least in the early going.
Active player (422)
Since I can tell everyone's so excited about this game, here's level 1 completed. Tell me what you think, anyone who bothers to watch it. After figuring out a bit about how the game works, it winds up being pretty fast. You are able to keep your dash speed by staying in the air. I was going to test if having the space suit saves you from being killed by the damaging floor in 1-3, but then I found that if you jump on the first frame you land on it, you don't get hit. I have managed to get partially inside up-right slopes in testing, but I get ejected pretty quickly back to the left. I have not yet tried up-left slopes. There may be applications. edit: oh, uh. I used the Ninja Jajamaru: Ginga Daisakusen rom. It may work with the Squashed prototype as well, I haven't tested. If you have Squashed, the movie plays until the first slope of 2-1
Nice. I sure hope someday I'll be able to do this run, but what with school and other more important things to do, it may be a while.
School's over, so going to attempt a level. What exactly is the technique for the dash in this? Forecast: 100% chance of lots of trial and error and a learning experience. Bleh. x_X
Active player (422)
tymime wrote:
What exactly is the technique for the dash in this?
IIRC I would hold B until the first frame that you actually dashed if you let go, and then held for 7 more frames. That seems to be the maximum speed for the minimum hold. If it helps, you hold B unil the first frame when letting go creates smoke when you let go/dash. It's not too hard to find this frame through trial and error. If I kept good notes I could help better. Also, there's some ideal frame to start holding B depending on if you are falling to start the level, how high you are falling from, or if you have to dash again some point mid-level. Basically, you want to maximize sliding forward while charging your dash, but still minimize the amount of time the dash takes. The rest of the game is just holding B and jumping on the first frame you can for different lengths of time and trying to avoid stopping. Also post WIPs so I can see :)
I have to say, I loathe playing this game! Not so much that it is a horrible game, horrible to TAS etc etc, it is just so damn hard to play. Look forward to viewing some WIPs and such (as well as a publication ;) )
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.