Post subject: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
Banned User
Well I'd like to use the PS version becuase that's what I've played on most, and I think it's the best, but there's no good emulators for PS as far as I know, so N64 will have to do. Speaking of which, what N64 emu and plugins would be best for this? I don't think the strength of this game lies in its potential for speedruns but in the entertainment, creativeness, and showmanship of its combos. Check this site out to see what's already been done on a real PS. http://jedsvideos.planettonyhawk.gamespy.com/ All the videos done by Blake are mine. Going beyond the human limit like for many games would allow totally new things to be done which were once impossible and only theory. There's lots of a theoritical, humanly impossible combos which I would love see if they actually are possible or not. For many combos things I'm pretty sure it would possible with frame by frame control such as the balance being the only problem. I want to see if there's a point where you simply cannot balance anymore and you bail between frames. I suspect there is a point where frame by frame precession isn't enough, but the more intresting question is what can be done before reaching that point.
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."
Pretty sure the n64 version for THPS1 is better looking (not sounding) than the psx version. I remember playing 3 the most. Is this what you mean by balance? I did a bs overcrook to bs nosegrind around the pipe and couldn't balance any further after this point, the cursor was just too fast to manipulate. Although you can affect it so it may be possible to throw it in a loop so you don't fall. Would take a lot of retries but probably wouldn't be used at the crawling speed i was going at.
SXL
how can it be too fast if you use frame advance ? did you mean you had trouble calculating the appropriate input in advance enough ?
I never sleep, 'cause sleep is the cousin of death - NAS
Former player
I'd like to see this, but the simple fact that some levels can't be done in one fluid motion (see Mall) kinda ruins the overall flow of a run. Still, you could bust out a 100% run <15 minutes if you plan accordingly.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
I would kill to see a good tool-assisted Tony Hawk run
SXL wrote:
how can it be too fast if you use frame advance ? did you mean you had trouble calculating the appropriate input in advance enough ?
I wasn't doing it for real, just rerecording to stay balanced. It got to a point where i was going too slow and the cursor could jump from center to right or left in mere frames. And pressing the other way does not work because the chance to change direction decreases as speed slows. I'm sure you could probably do it using fractional movements repeatedly though instead of a full left or right guessing game (was using a controller)
Banned User
Fractional movements? And what emu/plugins would be best to use? Also what's the best way to get roms? bit torrent sites?
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."
Banned User
I didn't have any plans to do an actual speed run, just ridiculous combos, as I think this game doesn't make for a very good speedrun. I'm pretty sure the mall can done one run without a great problem. The Only level which might require two runs is san fran. The level is big and the SKATE letter make you cover all the ground, and also the secret tape takes you a great deal out of your way; however, I have one theory to get the tape much less time which would make beating the whole level in one run plausible. I remember trying this before and just getting SKATE (and I think the cop cars too) left you with about 10 seconds left. If my idea to get the tape does work and I can beat san fran in one go then I think doing a full speedrun might be worth it.
djs
I would love to see a run of THPS
Those who sees this must accept that TAS'es almost skips the whole game..
I agree that a speedrun should be done for THPS3. 2 was my absolute favorite, but 3 has manuals (introduced in 2) and reverts so you can chain combos after coming down from a jump. It'd be so cool to see someone do a 2 minute run accomplishing almost every, if not every goal in one stage.
Former player
djs wrote:
i would love to see a run of THPS3.. also a good site is I DONT READ THE RULES
No ROM site linking. Edit your post please. /backseat mod
Spider-Waffle wrote:
Fractional movements? And what emu/plugins would be best to use? Also what's the best way to get roms? bit torrent sites?
Full right or left was mostly all that was used as it was from a controller, not say a % to left/right axes.
Active player (277)
A controller with analog sticks, or what? You're not being very specific.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
..why does that matter? It is analog but i still didn't use precision.
Banned User
% left or right? You mean with like an analog stick? Does the analog stick even work like that when grinding? How long were you able to grind before you couldn't see the balance meter anymore?
Former player
I think a TAS of any Tony Hawk game would be awesome. Good luck anyone who wants to do this.
Former player
I'm very interested in doing this, I just have to get a working emulator first.
Former player
So what is the idea for this game? 100% speed or every goal acheived? What about competitions?
FYI, my friend Discombobulator was working on a 100% THPS 1 run for the SDA, but he never sent it in, in hopes of achieving a better time (which isnt likely at this point, so hopefully he'll send it in soon). His time was around 8 minutes, I believe, with a TON of route optimization and tricks executed flawlessly. If someone does try to do a TAS of THPS 1, this should be roughly the worst time you should hope for.
Former player
Zurreco wrote:
So what is the idea for this game? 100% speed or every goal acheived? What about competitions?
I would definately say a 100% run, as even this will only take around 10 minutes. For competitions, you can win them in only 2 rounds (there are 3 total), and you can end the rounds whenever you want. So the competitions could be beaten in the time it takes to do two decent combos. Also, I would sat THPS2 would be the game of choice, but this is up to the runner.
Experienced player (612)
I'd also be interested in a couple of runs coming about, one being the fastest but with the least goals necessary (the fastest goals possible) and the other run 100% completeness. Now the question is which character would be used for either run (someone with a grinding special most likely)? I'd consider doing one of them or both if I had one of those USB adapters that allows for a PSX controller to be used on my computer but I no longer have one. I could see just the 100% run being necessary but there's always the other run to also think about.
Former player
I can almost imagine a TAS... a single trick combo from start to end: manual => grind => off half-pipe => boneless => crazy vert tricks => revert => repeat... I am just wondering, how many level goals can be completed in a single go? With good route planning, 50% on average?
Truncated wrote:
Truncated is the most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of man. -- xoinx
Former player
No half pipes or reverts in THPS1. Grinding is the only real way to string along tricks. That being said, the only fluid combo levels will be the mall, school, and maybe the warehouse. Then again, who knows?
Experienced player (612)
Are there manuals in the first one, at least in this revision from the PSX version? I know the second one has them, maybe that is what you were talking about. In the first one I think all the level goals can be done in one go through but probably not the second one because per level there are much more goals to be done.
Former player
I have never played THPS 1, only 2 & 3 on the PSX, so maybe my comments were targetted more towards a THPS 2/3 run. From what Zurecco said, THPS 1 seems to have much fewer tricks to showcase, which doesn't sound as exciting... I may be wrong (again). For THPS 1, it sounds to be more of street skating, so I think Geoff Rowley would be good (Darkside Grind FTW).
Truncated wrote:
Truncated is the most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of man. -- xoinx