Submission Text Full Submission Page
pacifist Ninja Gaiden 2 (JPN). I have finished movie without killing any enemy and walking from beginning to end. I didn"t use any tool,but only a FCEU. I don't seek speed or time only,it is a characteristic movie.

Truncated: Ninja Ryukenden 2 is the Japanese name of Ninja Gaiden 2, for anyone having trouble locating it.

Truncated: The opinions seem to be mixed on this run.
  • There are some tricky situations because of the pacifict goals, which are handled skillfully.
  • There are other situations which force long waiting times.
  • Since no special weapons are gotten or used, the bosses are a lot slower than they could have been.
  • The shadow clones, which are unique to this game and used to great effect in our current run, aren't used either.
  • The sliding (left+right) gimmick gets old quickly and doesn't serve any real purpose. It just removes animation from the game.
All in all I think the drawbacks outweigh the advantages, and I will not accept this run.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1423: Xipo's NES Ninja Ryukenden 2 in 12:10.35
Just in case anybody doesn't know, the Japanese name for Ninja Gaiden II is Ninja Ryukenden II - Ankoku no Jashin Ken. I didn't check if it desynchs with the US rom.
pdk
Player (52)
i watched it with the US rom and it synced fine, i'd vote if i could (always gotta keep the lurka man down, eh?)
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
This is more than just pacifist, this is no killing enemies, no taking damage, no power-ups and no moving feet. It makes for some very interesting situations, especially in the latest levels with several flying enemies, but it also has its dull spots. I will vote meh.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Player (166)
I also voted meh. While it is an interesting concept and a fairly good watch, it has nothing on the extremely awesome video of the game already on the site. It could be put into concept demos or something I suppose.
Player (51)
I thought this was pretty cool. Some pretty clever dodging. The left+right gliding footwork was a little odd, though. I voted yes.
This was as exciting as any Ninja Gaiden video I've seen, and much more entertaining due to the novelty.
Ambassador, Experienced player (696)
This was actually pretty cool. There was a lot of thought put in as to using the glitches to get around all the limitations. I would vote for this as a concept demo but not as a second movie for this game.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3596)
A) even if it were a concept demo it would still be a 2nd run to this game B) There is no precedent that this run be in a concept/demo category and plenty of precedent that it be a published in the normal nes videos category
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Skilled player (1402)
adelikat wrote:
B) There is no precedent that this run be in a concept/demo category and plenty of precedent that it be a published in the normal nes videos category
Bisqwit wrote:
Is this an attempt of use the fallacy "because you made mistake A, you should also make mistake B"?
Active player (277)
Is this an attempted use of the fallacy, "Because some precedents are fallacious, we can't use precedents at all"? (I guess that's not the generalized version, though...) Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form. Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form. Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form. Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
What a wild rush. I heard Japan was a typically pacifist nation, but this is ludicrist! I LOVE IT. YES VOTE.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Definitely enjoyed that. Kinda lukewarm, since while it is a successful pacifist run, there weren't many surprises along the way. Still a yes vote, overall.
I've never actually seen the Ninja Gaiden 2 run, so that probably affected my judgement of this run. As it is, though, I enjoyed it, and saw a few neat things along the way. If I could vote, I'd vote yes.
AnS
Emulator Coder, Experienced player (723)
The first part of the run wasn't bad at all, but then the cases of loosing alot of time (in terms of pacifist run) became irritating, so I'm voting Meh on edge with No. Currently published run is much more entertaining.
US Rom works fine. This run is excellently done, interesting and entertaining and Ninja Gaiden is one of my favorite series. But I thought the whole point of the series was DESTROY AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE-Ryu Hayabusa's never quite been about stealth. There is already an excellent run of the game and killing and power ups just make things better. I don't decount the value of this run, but I don't feel it's necessary either so I have to vote no. I also didn't care for the no feet moving thing, I think running looks better. Just a couple thoughts, why NG2 instead of the other ones? It looks like you could've hit Jacquo a bit earlier at one point and saved maybe like a frame since you make up the other hits so fast anyway, but I'm sure I'm wrong about this. I also assume that another secondary goal was "use no special weapons" but I'm just wondering if it would've been faster to use the regular throwing star to get in a couple hits early? If this movie is published which it probably will be I DO NOT think it should be in concept/demos because the Pacifist Contras aren't there and I think there's been a ton of confusion around the site about the concept/demos section lately (or perhaps all along) and I think we should wait till it gets cleared up before we stuff it with more runs..if it ever gets cleared up.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, stale!
Post subject: Would love to see this submission rejudged
eien86
He/Him
Judge, Skilled player (1699)
I've started to work on a NG2 pacifist movie (I don't guarantee I'll finish it though). During my research I came across this submission from 11 years ago. This movie is beautifully made and, in my opinion, would meet today's standards for publication. I would love to see this re-judged and perhaps ultimately accepted. As a viewer/player, my only objection about this movie is that it includes "No Damage Taken" as criterion for pacifist%. This is today not clearly a requirement, as we have plenty of pacifist publications where the only requirement is not to damage enemies or items (see: [4812] NES Ninja Gaiden "pacifist" by MESHUGGAH, eien86, feos, Marx, jprofit22 & Scumtron in 11:16.89 [5034] NES Castlevania "pacifist, minimalist" by eien86 & Challenger in 10:55.42). It also misses the chance to use Shurikens to beat the first boss, which would be definitely allowed. These are minor comments which wouldn't preclude publication, were I to judge it.
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3968)
Since this submission is from banned user Xipo, I don’t think it’s going to be re-judged anytime soon.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
eien86
He/Him
Judge, Skilled player (1699)
EZGames69 wrote:
Since this submission is from banned user Xipo, I don’t think it’s going to be re-judged anytime soon.
I thought this only applied to new submissions. Does this also affect review requests for submissions from before the author fell from grace?
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3968)
I don’t see why it couldn’t apply to older submissions as well.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
fsvgm777
She/Her
Senior Publisher, Player (221)
We've had one submission that got unrejected, despite the author being banned. It got rejected again because of that fact.
Steam Community page - Cohost profile Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.