Submission Text Full Submission Page
I have deduced from the comments in the discussion board that this game is not worth the second pass! As I feared, it's a bit too long and repetitive for most people's tastes. If it were 25 levels, I think it'd have gotten a more favorable response. 50 is pushing it. And 100 is pretty darn nutty. It wasn't a total loss... I got a lot of practice with frame advance and luck manipulation (two TAS skills I'm normally weak at) out of this. =)

• uses snes9x v.1.51 w/default settings (will not work with earlier versions)
  • aims for the fastest time
  • uses luck manipulation
Puzzle Bobble is also known as Bust-a-Move, and is one of the more well-known puzzle games, where the player helps the characters of Bubble Bobble clear away playfields full of bubbles using skills with aiming and strategy.
The SNES version of the game is a mix of the stages found in the arcade games, with a few of its own stages, new powerups, and a boss fight. All in all, it has 100 stages total.
Admittedly, this is not the most difficult game to so a TAS of, but it may prove entertaining nonetheless. The strategy for each stage is as follows
  • Figure out the quickest way to destroy all the bubbles at the top of the playfield. (more often than not, this was pretty straightforward)
  • Use frame advance to manipulate luck and get all the colors needed.
  • When shooting bubbles, make sure they're aimed in a way to consume the least frames possible to get where they need to go.
For the most part, the correct bubbles always come up, but there are rare cases where bubbles are wasted. As shooting a bubble does change which colors come up next, there are some moments where it consumes less frames to do so (particularly if I need two specific-color bubbles at the beginning of a stage). Along with that, there are times when certain-color bubbles won't appear at all until certain bubbles in the field are cleared out (this almost always happens in stages with water bubbles)
It's also worth noting that the collision angles on the right side of the screen are slightly different than the ones on the left. So a couple stages that have seemingly symmetrical solutions may end up having different strategies for each side. Don't be alarmed.
There's a chance I may make another pass at this run, but it will be a while before I'm able to do so. As it is, the run is pretty tight, so I thought I'd go ahead and submit this one to the Workbench, mainly to see if people find this game interesting in general. I know 100 stages is a lot. Is it too much? Let me know!

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1576: josh l.'s SNES Puzzle Bobble in 25:44.12
Former player
Personally, I love Puzzle Bobble/Bust a Move. I did not love this run. No vote. Also, add one more for the "Why the (J) ROM?" crew.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
upthorn
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Active player (388)
I watched through the run, and , though I did fast forward through a couple levels, I was entertained for the most part, so I'll be voting yes. But perhaps a pure speedrun of this game isn't the best goal to go with. If you redo it, I'd suggest that you try to keep as many of the original bubbles as possible on when you pop the last ceiling bubble.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
Player (120)
Yup, I enjoyed watching this. Have even watched it a couple of times now. It's a lot quicker than I imagined. I like upthorn's idea -- that would turn into a bit of a score attack, no? I would also like to see the other modes of play, the vs mode where you could bury your computer opponent insanely fast or the "endless" mode where clearing the board garners a special bonus (though i suppose "endless" and "speedrun" don't go together well ;) Digressions aside, great run SuperHappy, very glad you made it.
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
creaothceann
He/Him
Editor
Also voting yes.
Zurreco wrote:
Also, add one more for the "Why the (J) ROM?" crew.
josh l. wrote:
Hina98 wrote:
any reason you're using the (J) version of the game or is that just the name of the input file?
I just like the name better. I never really understood Taito America's need to be hip and contemporary with this game. Bust a Move! Yeah. Word up.
Player (101)
upthorn wrote:
I watched through the run, and , though I did fast forward through a couple levels, I was entertained for the most part, so I'll be voting yes. But perhaps a pure speedrun of this game isn't the best goal to go with. If you redo it, I'd suggest that you try to keep as many of the original bubbles as possible on when you pop the last ceiling bubble.
Hmm... I'm not sure if there are any stages where the goal of doing this and completing the stage as fast as possible isn't one and the same.
http://girlyyy.com/ The El Viento TAS is the only decent thing I submitted here.
Neat! I've always wanted to see this damn thing being played well, and without getting a constant stream of the wrong colors. Yes vote.
Experienced player (612)
Not a bad run. It was interesting to see how you would go about completing certain levels. I give this a yes vote.
Shingen
He/Him
I vote meh. It was a good run, but I found myself reaching for the fast forward key a few too many times. 100 levels of this game drags on for me. I cannot ignore that it's well played, I cannot ignore that there are no wasted moves, so it's not "no". *snip*
Player (215)
Yes vote. I was always interested to see how the next set of bubbles would be quickly taken care of in spite of the complex layout.
upthorn
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Active player (388)
josh l. wrote:
upthorn wrote:
Hmm... I'm not sure if there are any stages where the goal of doing this and completing the stage as fast as possible isn't one and the same.
There are a few stages with zappers and explosives that could be avoided...
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
Player (70)
Too long and repetitive I'm afraid. And it doesn't seem optimal at some points. Sorry, no-vote from me. :(
Active player (432)
READY?! :) I love how they say that word. Adorable and pretty quick game. I liked it. Clear yes vote.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Banned User, Former player
This is one of those "shut your brain off and watch" TASes. Although I do agree that a score attack would be a little more interesting, provided it wasn't just "fill the playfield with junk and clear the screen all at once". Regardless my vote falls on the line between "meh" and "yes".
Perma-banned
Voteing Yes. Fun to watch, pace seemed pretty good.
Has never colored a dinosaur.
Also, add one more for the "Why the (J) ROM?" crew.
but I voted yes, I was entertained
Sorry, my english is really bad...
Some levels had some creative solutions, that weren't outright apparent, but still it gets boring after a while. Anyway, I'm voting meh because I was fairly entertained by some of the levels. Some other mode of this game might be better suited for TASing, I guess?
"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." ( Pratchett & Gaiman: Good Omens )
as far as modes in this game go, this one is probably best. The only alternitive would be far longer I do think.
Has never colored a dinosaur.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3598)
I found the first 50 levels simple and boring. Things didn't get interesting until 51 or so. Even then though, it was only mildly entertaining. Also, 100 level is way too much. I vote no. This game has a password system. Could you just use a password to go right to 51, or maybe some other level? I know that which level to choose is rather problematic though since it an arbituary decision as to which level to begin at.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, stale!
Why was this not vaulted? I'm curious. Seems like a perfect vault candidate.
Patashu
He/Him
electricslide wrote:
Why was this not vaulted? I'm curious. Seems like a perfect vault candidate.
A lot of movies that are vaultable and were rejected pre-vault have been overlooked, so feel free to point them out as you find them.
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2299)
Reads the two posts above this one. Goes to page one of the discussion. This was canceled by the author.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Feel free to contact the author and tell him to uncancel it.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.