Post subject: Some word-based challenges
Chamale
He/Him
Player (178)
In light of the Math Challenges thread, this is a thread for word-based challenges. Not something like a vocabulary quiz or word problems, but stuff like "How many suffixes can be added to this word?" Here's 2: What is the longest word where the letter are in alphabetical order (Double letters allowed)? My best so far is CHILLS What 4 letters have the most anagrams which are also words? No double letters. Brand names and proper nouns count as words here, provided they are fairly common. My best is E, N, O, S: NOSE (That thing between your eyes) NOES (Plural of no) NEOS (Plural of neo) ENSO (A type of Ferrari car) SONE (A measure of sound) ONES (Plural of one)
Player (36)
[Post content lost in a database crash]
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
Post subject: Re: Some word-based challenges
Chamale wrote:
ENSO (A type of Ferrari car)
*facepalm*
<agill> banana banana banana terracotta pie! <Shinryuu> ho-la terracotta barba-ra anal-o~
Editor, Active player (296)
lisp, lips, slip tone, note vote, veto acne, cane rear, rare rage, gear idea, aide Yep, cannot find many.
Player (80)
I'm not really a fan of puzzles that can be solved better by Perl scripts than by humans (unless the object is to write the script).
ideamagnate| .seen aqfaq <nothing happens> DK64_MASTER| .seen nesvideoagent * DK64_MASTER slaps forehead
Chamale wrote:
What 4 letters have the most anagrams which are also words? No double letters. Brand names and proper nouns count as words here, provided they are fairly common. My best is E, N, O, S: NOSE (That thing between your eyes) NOES (Plural of no) NEOS (Plural of neo) ENSO (A type of Ferrari car) SONE (A measure of sound) ONES (Plural of one)
You missed EONS
Active player (422)
Chamale wrote:
What is the longest word where the letter are in alphabetical order (Double letters allowed)?
Aegilops But only because I previously knew it as a sort of trivia thing.
Former player
Chamale wrote:
ENSO (A type of Ferrari car)
It's actually Enzo.
In Finnish, sota=war saot=septics (plural of a prefix) taso=plane sato=harvest atso=azo (prefix) otsa=forehead osat=pieces osta=purchase (imperative) TOAS=Tampereen Opiskelija-Asuntolat (an organization) tosa=a dog breed (that I didn't know of before)
Tub
Bisqwit wrote:
TOAS=Tampereen Opiskelija-Asuntolat (an organization)
If you're going to allow acronyms, you've missed TAS. ;) (and probably a few hundred different TLAs)
m00
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Tub wrote:
Bisqwit wrote:
TOAS=Tampereen Opiskelija-Asuntolat (an organization)
If you're going to allow acronyms, you've missed TAS. ;) (and probably a few hundred different TLAs)
Yeah, but it would have to use all of the letters. O isn't used in TAS.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Former player
Chamale wrote:
What 4 letters have the most anagrams which are also words? No double letters. Brand names and proper nouns count as words here, provided they are fairly common. My best is E, N, O, S: NOSE (That thing between your eyes) NOES (Plural of no) NEOS (Plural of neo) ENSO (A type of Ferrari car) SONE (A measure of sound) ONES (Plural of one)
Since it's actually "Enzo", I think I can beat your five: E,A,T,S ATES: a kind of Spanish fruit pastry EAST: commonly used direction EATS: plural of "eat" ETAS: plural of Greek letter SATE: to satiate SEAT: something you sit on TEAS: plural of "tea"
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
mr_roberts_z wrote:
Since it's actually "Enzo", I think I can beat your five: E,A,T,S ATES: a kind of Spanish fruit pastry EAST: commonly used direction EATS: plural of "eat" ETAS: plural of Greek letter SATE: to satiate SEAT: something you sit on TEAS: plural of "tea"
You missed one. TESA: A system commonly used in hotels for electronic key cards. (Not that most people would know that.)
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Former player
Sir VG wrote:
TESA: A system commonly used in hotels for electronic key cards. (Not that most people would know that.)
I assume that's an acronym and because of that, it doesn't really count.
Former player
Sir VG wrote:
TESA: A system commonly used in hotels for electronic key cards. (Not that most people would know that.)
Wikipedia redirects 'Tesa' to 'Semen analysis.' What kind of hotels do you stay in?
Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign aqfaq Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign
Experienced player (822)
What is (AFAIK) the only English word to have three sets of double letters in sequence? (for example, aammpp)
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Editor, Player (67)
This site contains a lot of "word trivia" for people interested.
jimsfriend wrote:
Sir VG wrote:
Wikipedia redirects 'Tesa' to 'Semen analysis.' What kind of hotels do you stay in?
It's interesting (unusual?) that it redirects to the least relevant page that appears when you actually search for Tesa. Should this be taken to indicate anything about the people who run Wikipedia? ;)
Current Projects: TAS: Wizards & Warriors III.
Is it by any chance soonnee? What is the longest paragraph that can be spoken without using a vowel?
Renting this space for rent. Trying to fix image on this site. Please cut slack. As of April 6th, 2012: After a long absence, here we go again?
Former player
mmbossman wrote:
What is (AFAIK) the only English word to have three sets of double letters in sequence? (for example, aammpp)
Bookkeeper, perchance?
...?
Active player (422)
mmbossman wrote:
three sets of double letters in sequence
Subbookkeeper comes to mind. Unless you consider it invened for the sake of people being able to say a word has 4 sets of double letters. In which case, bookkeeper comes to mind :)
Experienced player (822)
Rridgway wrote:
Is it by any chance soonnee? What is the longest paragraph that can be spoken without using a vowel?
Sorry, dictionary.com doesn't have soonnee, so since it's not a real word, I'd say it doesn't count. Also, a paragraph without a vowel? Does that exclude the sometimes vowel y? If so, then there's a couple words that use "w" as a vowel, cwm being one of them (pronounced coom) Oh, and bookkeeper was the one I had in mind (although subbookkeeper is an interesting one.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
SXL
? || \/
I never sleep, 'cause sleep is the cousin of death - NAS
HHS
Active player (282)
Hmm... wtf? By Ms. Lynx' hymns 'n my shy nymphs, why Y's 'n W's, sly gypsy spy? (Ok, that's the longest I can think of for now :P) I didn't find "cwm" in my dictionary, but it seems to be a word in Welsh. Perhaps you were thinking about "cwt.", which is an unit of mass equal to 50.80234544 kilograms. A paragraph is an element of written text and therefore contains letters. A vowel then means one of the letters A, E, I, O or U in the English alphabet and not any other letter. The letters don't correspond directly to individual phonemes anyway. Since a paragraph consists of an unlimited number of sentences, there is no theoretical limit on how long such a paragraph could be as long as a sentence can be constructed. Here are some words that do not contain vowels: brr brrr by cry crypt crwth cyst cwm dry fly flyby fry glyn glyph gym gyp gypsy gypsyfy gypsyry hm hmm hmmm hy hymn jth kth lth lymph lynch lynx mth my myrrh myth 'n nth nymph nymphly pht pry pst pwn pygmy pyx rhythm rhythmy scry shh sky sly shy spry spy sty sylph symphysy syzygy thy thymy try tryst tsk tsktsk twyndyllyng why wry wynd wyrd zzz Some common abbreviations: BBC (British Broadcasting Service) BBS (Bulletin Board System) BC (British Columbia or Before year 1) BCL (Bachelor of Civil Law) BD (Bachelor of Divinity) b. (Born) bd (Birthday) BFBS (British and Foreign Bible Society) BM (Black Mage) Bp (Bishop) Bt. (Baronet) cL (Centilitre) cm (Centimetre) CNN (Cable News Network) CS (Computer Science or Counter Strike) CSCS (Civil Service Cooperative Stores) CSM (Company Sergeant Major) CTC (Cyclists' Touring Club) cwt. (Centiweight. DC (Direct Current or Dreamcast) DCL (Doctor of Civil Law) DCM (Distinguished Conduct Medal) d. (Dead, day) DL (Dcotor of Law) DM (Deustche Mark) dL (Decilitre) dm (Decimetre) Dr. (Doctor) ff. (Fortissimo) FGS (Fellow of the Geological Society) FRCP (Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians) FRCS (Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons) FRGS (Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society) FRS (Fellow of the Royal Society) FS (Fleet Surgeon) FFS (For Fuck's Sake) FZS (Fellow of the Zoological Society) ft. (Foot) g (Gram) GB (Gameboy or Great Britain) GC (Garbage Collection or Gamecube) GF (Girlfriend) GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) gs. (Guineas) HP (Health Points, Hit Points, House of Parliament or Hewlett Packard) HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) Jr. (Junior) KKK (Ku Klux Klan) kg (Kilogram) km (Kilometre) L (litre) LTTP (Link To The Past) MC (Motorcycle) mg (Milligram) mL (Millilitre) MM (Mega Man or Majora's Mask) mm (Millimetre) MMX (Mega Man X or Multimedia Extension) MP (Member of Parliament, Magic Points or Military Police) Mt. (Mount) μm (Micrometre) nm (Nanometre) NJ (New Jersey) NY (New York) NZ (New Zealand) PC (Politically Correct or Personal Computer) pd. (Paid) PDC (Programme Delivery Control) PDD (Pervasive Developmental Disorder) PM (Post Meridiam or Private Message) PN (Phone number) PPP (Point to Point Protocol) Mr. (Mister) Mrs. (Mistress) MS (Microsoft or Multiple Sclerosis) Ms. (Miss) N (North) NW (Northwest) Pt. (Pesetas) QB (QuickBasic) RM (Red Mage or Rockman) RMF (Rockman & Forte) RMS (Root Mean Square) RSS (RDF Site Summary) Ry (Railway) S (South) SM (Super Metroid, Sailor Moon, Self-mutilation or Sado-Masochism) SMB (Super Mario Bros. or Server Message Block) SMP (Simultaneous Multiprocessing) sry (Sorry) SS (Schützstaffel) SW (Southwest) W (West) WDM (Windows Driver Model) WMD (Weapon of Mass Destruction) wth (What The Hell) wtf (What The Fuck) Xty (Christianity) y. (Year) yd. (Yard) YKK (Yoshida Kogyo Kabushiki-gaisha)
Using "y" in a form that gets pronounced "i" (ee) could be considered cheating in the no-vowels challenge.
likewise using any abbreviation or acronym
Voted NO for NO reason