Post subject: Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle, The
Banned User
I recently read that this NES game really sucks. And as per the developers of THQ, they did an excellent job by $hitting on the legacy of this 60's popular cartoon show; just by writing a game where music can give anyone an ear tumor, and the controls are not as responsive as it should. But luckily, just like Skate or Die 2, this too can be also be used to one's advantage if possible. This here is what I believe can be another TAS-able game. But there is a downside: Energy is limited and that either taking damage / using Rocky's fly-around / using Bullwinkle's horn charge strictly will cost energy. The most annoying thing about this game, ever, is a "Goof" bomb that warps directional movement and intentionally messes up game music. Especially the first stage; so I'm sure this may not be a submittable FCM. Once I get my first WIP and clean rom, you guys will definitely see how worst this game could get. Luck manipulation plus strategic/conservative use of energy is the only way to get through this game quickly. Again, it may be annoying, but it's worth a try to see what a TAS can do here. Wish me luck. =)
Banned User
I almost have the run complete. But there are things that make me bleed my eyes out! The controls are not responsive, even at 50% speed on FCE Ultra. I'm talking about throwing a bomb or even jumping, it just sucks. Turbo-B or Turbo-A does not work, except when zooming through the level screen to get to the next stage. I'll try to come up with a good script to further explain how bad this game is. I can beat it within 5½ minutes though!
Banned User
Finally got the first WIP arranged - 5:03.03 Watch out, there will be some annoying stuff! http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/798980418/adv-of-rocky&bullwinkle-unofficial-tas-symbolic-X.fcm If that ain't enough, here's my encoded AVI (need WinRAR and VLC with H264): http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/2/4/1739991/adv-of-rocky-and-bullwinkle-unofficial-tas-symbolic-X.rar
- Manipulates luck - Aims for fastest time - Takes damage to save time - Abuses programming errors in the game ("Goof" bomb disrupts background music) - Genre: Action/Adventure
Jigwally
He/Him
Active player (417)
If anyone is interested in pursuing this TAS again there is a new RTA record: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjcenzU1DkM Look at the trick at 4:06 where he uses a bomb to cause Rocky to slide across the screen. Is this able to be abused anywhere else?
Patashu
He/Him
Paging MESHUGGAH to the topic... Paging MESHUGGAH to the topic...
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Here's MESHUGGAH's WIP of Level 1 from almost 3 months ago. It'd be nice to see the game beaten even faster than the new speedrun, if he's still interested.
Editor, Skilled player (1504)
Made some quick testrun. User movie #19685749187108255
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
Active player (469)
TASeditor wrote:
Made some quick testrun. User movie #19685749187108255
Link to video
That was pretty fast! Does it waste any time to get hit by the "Goof" thing?
They reverse left and right, but using the select trick it doesn't affect anything.
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
Active player (469)
TASeditor wrote:
They reverse left and right, but using the select trick it doesn't affect anything.
How about the bad guys in black: Some you jump over, some you get hit once(dmg boostin?)? and some you get hit twice? Super short game btw, i like the select trick
Don't know why I can't jump over some enemies. Taking damage is slower in most cases. Maybe position manipulation can help. Haven't put to much effort into this one. Edit: Turning left before getting hit helped: User movie #19708555012355055 Also some other improvements.
Baka94
He/Him
Not sure if these would be useful in TAS, but here are few glitches I have found: -If you hold A while holding B (readying a bomb), you can move around, which is normally not allowed. If the bomb explodes in Rocky's hand while doing this, your movement speed is increased until you release A, B, Left or Right. -Moving while holding a bomb let's you get off stairs. The game still thinks you are in the stairs, but as soon as you leave the stairs vertically you fall off them. -There also are some "magical" spots in stairs that if you let a bomb explode in Rocky's hand, he starts going up for some reason. You'll go up until you release B. Then you can walk on air until you jump. Keep in mind that if you go off screen, your sprite doesn't screenwrap but your hitbox does. As a last correction to the first post (you may already know this): The reason the controls feel unresponsive because you need to hold the button down for 4 frames until the game decides to do something.
MainLoop: NOP LDX #$01 STX main_loop_done VBlankWait: LDX main_loop_done BNE VBlankWait JMP MainLoop
MESHUGGAH
Other
Skilled player (1888)
All the informations above are known already and correct. edit: You guys should really learn how to use search and where to find those informations you want to know instead of trying to reach me with a forum post... Here's the page you probably missing: Wiki: GameResources/NES/AdventuresOfRockyAndBullwinkleAndFriends
PhD in TASing 🎓 speedrun enthusiast ❤🚷🔥 white hat hacker ▓ black box tester ░ censorships and rules...
Experienced player (852)
As an FYI that ~30 second run was using a level select code
link_7777 wrote:
As an FYI that ~30 second run was using a level select code
I thought that might be the case since the uploader didn't share anything about how to trigger the "glitch". Thanks for setting the matter straight, link_7777.
Here is a tweet from the uploader regarding this "warp" https://twitter.com/WhiteHat94/status/632741041137913856