1 2
15 16
Post subject: Can't remember a game's name? Then ask here!
Skilled player (1404)
There's been a couple of topics recently of people looking for a game they remember playing but don't remember what it's called. So, for future questions, I present you this topic! That being said, there *is* a game I am looking for. It's an arcade game, a platformer back in the early 90's, in which you play as a floppy eared dog whose main mode of attack were these glass orbs filled with water. Chuck them a short distance and they burst, covering a portion of the ground they hit with a splash of water. Powerups give you bigger orbs, resulting in more splash. One of the bosses was a large robotic ball with a rabbit face and ears. It would bounce around the screen, and after a while open up, shooting two twirling streams of fire out of the sides. Anyone have any idea? When asking, please indicate what system the game is on and approximately what time period it may be from. Such things would be very helpful! Well, may you find your answers in this topic! Plus, for some further help, you can check out the What Was That Game? forums. Thanks, moozooh, for the pointer! Edit:[/b] Considering that several people have come here asking for help at the same time, I'll get a list going of individuals who still need help. Still Looking: stickyman05 Baxter Raiscan AKA IronSlayer Bisqwit Blublu Rridgway Chamale jaysmad klmz Molotov ShinyDoofy MUGG Found! Ferret Warlord found Liquid Kids mmbossman found Social Climber IronSlayer found Mega Lo Mania girfanatic501 found The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask Truncated found Vendetta Anon found Last Battle merick888 found Boomer's Adventure in Asmik World and The Adventures of Star Saver moozooh found Ranger-X Larkin found The Faery Tale Adventure Aqfaq found A Fistful of Bucks Cardboard found Return Fire Duksandfish found Pandemonium Pekopon found Roadblasters Molotov found Koi wa Balance - Battle of Lovers Please PM me if it becomes apparent I overlooked your request for help.
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
good work ferret warlord! ... although I dont have any idea what game you speak of. The game I am wondering about is an old computer game, circa mid 80s to early 90s. It was in complete black and white, with some gray for places as indicated by my MS Paint Masterpiece. http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t90/stickyman05/oldgame.jpg You collected money or gold bars or something, as well as a gun i believe. possibly some briefcases of money involved too. Some big blocks fell from the top of the screen, and they killed you instantly. also some kind of evil men tried to kill you too, but you could shoot them with the gun. It sounds to me that this game was probably elevator action, but i have not found an elevator action game where the elevators killed you and only moved down, not up. the main goal was to get something or another at the top of the screen, but i cant remember wtf it was. i will probably edit this when my memory continues to remember things.
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.
Experienced player (822)
Stickyman: I seem to remember a game very much like the one you described. I played it on my grandparents old Mac (estimating it had a processor somewhere around 40 MHz). But I couldn't tell you the name of it for the life of me :/ EDIT: Also, happy 1000 posts to me!
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
atleast i am describing it well enough for someone else to remember! ^_^
adelikat wrote:
Bobmario511 wrote:
This is a huge long shot, but I'm looking for the name of a very old computer game, which I used to play on 5.25" inch floppy disk. It was a game similar to Civilization or Dune; build up an army and base, and defeat your enemies. The graphics were incredibly good for the time, you had one of four different Houses to choose from (each symbolized by a different color), and your weapons ranged from an introductory slingshot to airplane bombers to nuclear warheads.
Player (120)
re: sticky/mmboss men social climber? Not an exact match but I remember being aggravated by this game. the site where I found it is awesome for any old mac users Also: macs had nintendogs and (further down the page) trauma center :P
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
@IronSlayer - Could it be Mega Lo Mania? I don't remember if it had a PC version (wiki says it did). It sounds kind of close to what you're talking about.
Experienced player (822)
alden: Yes! That's the old one I was thinking of, thanks! I may go try to find that and an old Mac 7.6 emulator now:) And my families first computer had the grouch trash can on it. My dad had to disable it for a while, because my sister was like 3 at the time, and would just drag any file she could find into the trash to hear Oscar sing to her.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
I think this a Zelda game, but.... I remember playing a game where you could ride on a horse and there where carrots above it and you could make the horse go faster, and when you did they would depleat, but after a while the horse got slower and the carrots came back. I'm a forgetful loser :P.
See Youtube page (GIRfanaticTAS) for all runs and stuff.
Former player
girfanatic501 wrote:
I think this a Zelda game, but.... I remember playing a game where you could ride on a horse and there where carrots above it and you could make the horse go faster, and when you did they would depleat, but after a while the horse got slower and the carrots came back. I'm a forgetful loser :P.
That one would be Ocarina of Time (or Majora's Mask).
...?
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
I played a side-scrolling beat'em up at an arcade several years ago. The things I can remember was: * You could hit the opponents lying down by pressing the kick, or possibly jump button. The game gave instructions on how to do this when the opportunity appeared. * There were weapons you could pick up, and one was a bucket, which when thrown on a bad guy got stuck on his head and blinded his sight for a few moments. * There was a boss (on a train? perhaps.) carrying a cylindrical saw which (when he missed a swing?) accidentally got stuck in the ground. That's really all i can remember. Any ideas?
curtmack wrote:
girfanatic501 wrote:
That one would be Ocarina of Time (or Majora's Mask).
I knew that is was a game in Brawl's masterpeices! I coudn't remember what it was called.
Senior Moderator
This thread will be better off stickied. Also, the first post should have a link to WWTG, just in case.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Skilled player (1402)
I played a NES game a long time ago... don't know much about it. I believe you could walk and jump around, and punch. There were also several different powerups... and I think the second boss was on an autoscrolling elevator, with fireballs you had to dodge while fighting him (probably the most clear thing I can remember, because no matter how often I hit this second boss, he wouldn't die). It could very well be that this game was never officially released, I played it on a 13 in 1 game cartridge... anyone know the name of this NES game?
alden: sadly, that isnt the game I was thinking of... too good of graphics XD but the general layout is the same, just fewer people (no one rides the elevators) and more black/white plain patterns (although when elevators passed over the floor lines, the lines completely turned to black, or possibly a gray checkered pattern)
adelikat wrote:
Bobmario511 wrote:
Skilled player (1404)
moozooh wrote:
Also, the first post should have a link to WWTG, just in case.
Done. Thank you for the suggestion.
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Baxter: That kinda sounds like a level from Akumajou Special: Boku Drackula-kun, but it wasn't on a 13-in-1 cartridge. I don't even think there is a 13-in-1 cartridge for the Famicom/NES.
Mechuyael wrote:
@IronSlayer - Could it be Mega Lo Mania? I don't remember if it had a PC version (wiki says it did). It sounds kind of close to what you're talking about.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! That's exactly it. Truncated- The game you're describing is called Vendetta. Decent side-scrolling beat-em' up, but I've played literally dozens of titles from that era that are better.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
Truncated wrote:
I played a side-scrolling beat'em up at an arcade several years ago. The things I can remember was: * You could hit the opponents lying down by pressing the kick, or possibly jump button. The game gave instructions on how to do this when the opportunity appeared. * There were weapons you could pick up, and one was a bucket, which when thrown on a bad guy got stuck on his head and blinded his sight for a few moments. * There was a boss (on a train? perhaps.) carrying a cylindrical saw which (when he missed a swing?) accidentally got stuck in the ground. That's really all i can remember. Any ideas?
You're searching for Konami's Vendetta (A.K.A Crime Fighters 2). We need to get together and play it some day. That game kicks ass, definitely one of my favorite beat em ups of all time. You have chains, baseball bats, bricks, buckets and even shotguns! And there are enemy dobbermans, not to mention that the graphics are very good (and you get to kick enemies that are on the ground, which rox). I love the urban/industrial scenery. I think this game has more style and "beat everybody up" feel than most beat em ups out there, especially using four players. PS.: The japanese version is uncensored.
FODA wrote:
You're searching for Konami's Vendetta (A.K.A Crime Fighters 2). We need to get together and play it some day. That game kicks ass, definitely one of my favorite beat em ups of all time. You have chains, baseball bats, bricks, buckets and even shotguns! And there are enemy dobbermans, not to mention that the graphics are very good (and you get to kick enemies that are on the ground, which rox). I love the urban/industrial scenery. I think this game has more style and "beat everybody up" feel than most beat em ups out there, especially using four players. PS.: The japanese version is uncensored.
Like I said in the post before yours, it was a decent game, but it had some annoying problems, and I could literally name DOZENS of side-scrolling beat'em ups that were LIGHT YEARS ahead of Vendetta. Seriously dude, if I wanted to play a cool old-school beat'em up with a friend, Vendetta wouldn't be among the first 40 games that came to mind.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
I'm curious as to what you think are "annoying problems". I can't seem to think of any.
FODA wrote:
I'm curious as to what you think are "annoying problems". I can't seem to think of any.
It's been a few years since I played it, but the cheapness of some of the later levels and bosses was absurd. They weren't coded with particularly good AI, or weren't grouped together in a tough, interesting manner, they just had ridiculous priority than one's character. I also think a lot of the neat tricks and level design was wasted very early on in the game, and the later stuff was made in a rush, resulting in a more boring, straightforward conclusion. Overall, it was a decent game; I love that it had a Mike Tyson character, a Hulk Hogan character, a Zangief character, a standard American kickboxer character, and all the ridiculous bosses. However, it wasn't particularly innovative or incredible; again, if you want, I could list a few dozen better beat em' ups, one of my favorite game genres.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
I see, but it's an arcade game, and arcade games are supposed to be coin eaters. Take TMNT for example, it's impossible to beat it with 1 credit. But simpsons and captain america have simple AI, so I could beat those with 1 credit. It happened often, I beat the game with 1 credit and the next day I come to play again and the machine "breaks". The arcade owner turned it off because it's too easy. I think it's true what you said, but I have major fun playing the game, I guess I just like the whole urban/industrial with plenty of varied weapons idea too much.
Senior Moderator
There's still a difference between a good challenge and bad design. Both can be coin eaters, but while one of them is fair, the other isn't. Not talking about Vendetta in particular; gameplay design applies to any game equally. The difference is subtle (since it all pretty much boils down to the time you spend on the game), but it doesn't take a lot of experience to notice. To bring up an analogy, good game design gives you an iron hammer and a hundred of nails to drive into various surfaces in a limited time. A hard task, but you know what to do and how to do it, eventually you understand the optimal ways of gripping the hammer handle, optimal angles to strike, optimal force required, and just plain increase your striking speed. Bad game design gives you a wooden hammer instead, and the nails are all crooked. Your own efforts are severely limited by insufficient tools. Case in question: Contra/Super C vs. games like TMNT or Ghosts 'n Goblins. The former are hard (especially Super C), but you know what's coming at you, and you have a chance to react, because the controls are tight and user-friendly. The latter wave a solution in front of your face, but cover it with a wall of glitches and other bullshit you can't even dodge properly because the characters are barely controllable.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
I remember an Arkanoid game which had enemies in it and bosses. It was pretty good, but for some reason all the Arkanoid games I've tried don't have that sort of stuff. Perhaps I remember it to be far better than it was, and it was just the original Arkanoid for the NES or something. Still, can't hurt to ask here. Thanks.
<adelikat> I am annoyed at my irc statements ending up in forums & sigs
1 2
15 16