Post subject: PCSX Rerecording (new version)
mz
Player (79)
[img_right]http://i41.tinypic.com/34hyopj.png[/img_right]PCSX Rerecording ---------------------------------------- PCSX Rerecording is the rerecording version of PCSX with many customized features designed to aid in recording movie input files. Latest version: ----------- -Binaries: pcsx-rr-v013a.7z -Source: pcsx-rr-v013a-src.7z Changelog ----------- v0.1.3 -Lots of stuff from SVN and various fixes. v0.1.2 -Eliminated the major cause of desyncs that could occur when rerecording. -Added a few hotkeys for Ram Search. -Fixed the dialog title for WIN32_LuaRunScript(). v0.1.1a -Fixed the Lua scripting function "joypad.set". v0.1.1 -Lua scripting. -Fixed a possible cause of desync in GPU_writeDataMem; only seen when frameskip was enabled (for ex. with Fast Forward). As a side effect of this, Fast Forward is now ~25% slower. -Screenshots are now taken correctly and they get saved as PNG. -Added "-lua" command line option. -Added "Maximum Speed", "Run Lua Script", "Stop Lua Script" and "Reload Lua Script" hotkeys. They will need to be remapped if you've used previous versions of PCSX-RR. -Various minor improvements in the "-RR" code. -My computer gets 10% slower due to the "pcsx.exe.manifest" file, so it doesn't come within the release archive anymore. You may want to remove it from your PCSX-RR folder too if you have a slow system. -------------------------- Please read "pcsx-rr-instructions.txt" before using. *** VERY IMPORTANT *** Using Fast Forward can cause desyncs, especially in 3D games. Do not use it when you're recording a movie or playing back a movie to create a savestate so then you can resume recording from it. *** VERY IMPORTANT ***
You're just fucking stupid, everyone hates you, sorry to tell you the truth. no one likes you, you're someone pretentious and TASes only to be on speed game, but don't have any hope, you won't get there.
Skilled player (1149)
A buddy and I can't run the emulator, it always crashes after we choose a game. Your old version works fine to us but this one doesn't, that's quite odd. Any reason why it happens?
mz
Player (79)
Uhm, it looks like it crashes if you try to use any other GPU plugin, even if it's an older version of my modified P.E.Op.S. GPU plugin. So, try using only the newest P.E.Op.S. GPU plugin that comes with the last PCSX-RR archive and see if that helps. I'll try to fix this later, but you shouldn't be trying to use any other plugin, though. :P If you're already using my latest version of P.E.Op.S. and it still crashes: does it only happen if you try to record a new movie or even if you just select "Run CD"?
You're just fucking stupid, everyone hates you, sorry to tell you the truth. no one likes you, you're someone pretentious and TASes only to be on speed game, but don't have any hope, you won't get there.
nfq
Player (93)
crashes for me too when i Run CD, even though i use the peops soft plugin that comes with the archive.
mz
Player (79)
Try this one and let me know if it still crashes: pcsx-fix.7z.
nfq
Player (93)
yeah, it still crashes
mz
Player (79)
That sucks... It will be hard to fix this one, since I can't find another way to reproduce it. Have you already tried using the last pcsx-fix with any other GPU plugin, like one of Pete's PSX GPU plugins? If they don't crash, then the cause is my modified P.E.Op.S. Soft GPU plugin...
nfq
Player (93)
i figured out why it crashed, it had nothing to do with the emulator, i just forgot that i had to change something in the cdrom plugin. i'm such a computer noob. does this emulator have general save and load slots that save and load the current slot?
mz
Player (79)
nfq wrote:
i figured out why it crashed, it had nothing to do with the emulator, i just forgot that i had to change something in the cdrom plugin. i'm such a computer noob.
Ah, cool. Thanks for leting me know.
nfq wrote:
does this emulator have general save and load slots that save and load the current slot?
Not my current version. But it will have it whenever I'm able to finish the configurable hotkeys stuff...
Former player
I just tried recording two movies with the new version linked in the opening post. All I have to say is "NICE". The last version of pcsx desynced on basically every game I tried after about 10-30 seconds worth of playtime. This version I played a good 10 minutes without a desync occurring. I also tried recording a movie while having sound enabled so as to actually hear the music etc. while recording. I only recorded for a shorter period of time (closer to 5 minutes) but it still recorded and played the movie back without a desync. I did however find one bug of sorts: when you're playing back a movie (not sure if this would apply to recording it too), if you press escape to go back to the main window, and then proceed to go back to emulator > run and continue to watch the movie, the movie will show input playing, but the input will have no effect on what's actually happening, and the character will do nothing. Or something like that.
Well, I tried the same thing on Blaze & Blade with this emulator, and... strangely enough it desynced even earlier. I pressed Down on only one frame to select the next menu item. Once I hex edited in two more Downs, it got past that part. This does not seem robust. However, it still desynced at the same place as last time, on the first card flip.
Voted NO for NO reason
Former player
LagDotCom wrote:
Well, I tried the same thing on Blaze & Blade with this emulator, and... strangely enough it desynced even earlier. I pressed Down on only one frame to select the next menu item. Once I hex edited in two more Downs, it got past that part. This does not seem robust. However, it still desynced at the same place as last time, on the first card flip.
Admittedly, I recorded the two movies I did in realtime, but in the same regard, the previous movies that I mentioned were also done in realtime and desynced quite quickly despite that point. edit: Just testing it more in depth right now, an annoyance I've found is that while it does continuous frame advance, if you press a new button while doing so it wont continually advance until you release and repress one of the frame advance keys.
mz
Player (79)
Atma wrote:
I did however find one bug of sorts: [...]
Yeah, you're right. It's been like this since the first version, it seems. You should always load a savestate after resuming emulation to prevent this, at least until I can find a way to fix it.
LagDotCom wrote:
Well, I tried the same thing on Blaze & Blade with this emulator, and... [...]
I don't have this game, so I don't know what could be the cause of your desync. But if you're having problems with every game, maybe it's something on your config. Make sure you don't have "analog" enabled in the controller plugin if you're recording movies with just the standard controller, or it will always desync when you play back. Also, always use the P.E.Op.S. CDR plugin, No Sound SPU plugin and a real BIOS. Besides that, I don't know why you might have so many desyncs... I'll try to get this game later and see what happens. Thank you all for testing.
Yeah, I have all those settings as you say they should be. A little about Blaze & Blade - I'm using my PAL-E version, so it should be running at somewhat below 50fps, but also the game itself only seems to update graphically every 3f or so. I don't know if this has anything to do with it. Actually, now I play it back a few more times, it seems like it's inserting some extra frames at the beginning or something? However, removing (any amount of) these doesn't seem to get it back in sync.
Voted NO for NO reason
Skilled player (1637)
Hey mz, sorry for dropping the ball on helping you. My life turned insane this summer as far as work goes. Things are looking amazing now. Keep up the good work!
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
Former player
Hmm, I only just noticed this when going to record a movie in frame advance. The lag counter doesn't update at the same point every time. frame advancing over a 50 frame period many times, I noticed the lag counter would increase at its own choice while playing back and recording. Sometimes it would have a frame of lag 10 frames in, sometimes 40 frames in, sometimes not at all, sometimes twice in that period etc. I believe this is likely a possible reason as to why runs would be desyncing, as I surprisingly actually suffered a couple while recording without sound still. Also, just out of curiosity, why does pcsx use so much cpu time, even when no game has been loaded/the emulator is in the menu? I just found it odd, that's all.
nfq
Player (93)
what is a lag counter? i've never seen that in an emulator before. i don't get it, it's just a bunch of numbers that randomly go up. how is it useful, how can i use it to my advantage?
Experienced player (822)
nfq wrote:
what is a lag counter? i've never seen that in an emulator before. i don't get it, it's just a bunch of numbers that randomly go up. how is it useful, how can i use it to my advantage?
It counts lag. And it's been in Gens for at least 6 months, and been in FCEUX since it's inception. Use it to try to avoid lag.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
nfq
Player (93)
ah, i see. but what is lag exactly? is it when the FPS of the game slows down? could avoiding lag also avoid desyncs? then it might be useful in mupen.
Former player
Not exactly the FPS slows down, but the game itself. It mainly happens when there's just too much on the screen or things have to be calculated that the game's engine can't handle at regular speed. So avoiding lag saves frames and also is mostly more entertaining to watch.
Player (244)
Is this version compatible with any of the current CDR plugins? Perhaps I'm missing something important, but I can't seem to run actual PSX games with this new version, since I can't select any of the CDR plugins.
mz
Player (79)
v0.0.2 released with the GPU fix and some other minor fixes. See the first post for more information and download links.
Atma wrote:
The lag counter doesn't update at the same point every time [...]
Yeah, that's the main cause of desyncs + savestates not being very robust (saving/loading while emulator is loading data from CD will always cause desyncs later, for example). If I ever get to reduce any of these problems, we might have a very decent emulator for PSX TASes...
Atma wrote:
Also, just out of curiosity, why does pcsx use so much cpu time, even when no game has been loaded/the emulator is in the menu?
I have no idea. But the official version behaves exactly the same, so thankfully it's not a bug on my part. :P @ElectroSpecter: yes, I haven't changed anything regarding CDR plugins. My archive already comes with "cdrPeops.dll", so in theory you should be able to see that one at least... @DarkKobold: thanks, I ended up using most of your code/ideas anyway. :P
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
ElectroSpecter wrote:
Is this version compatible with any of the current CDR plugins? Perhaps I'm missing something important, but I can't seem to run actual PSX games with this new version, since I can't select any of the CDR plugins.
Have you tried Mooby2 CDR 2.8 plugin? I tried to work with P.E.Op.S CDR plugin but it keeps giving an error when I select "Run CD" or anything else, and it seems to insist on reading a CD-ROM drive even though the image is on my hard drive, right in the PCSX folder.
Active player (308)
well, if you mount your image with daemon on alcohol, it works flawlessly. EDIT: Bug Report... Default folder problem. When you run it for the first time, it crashes if you just press the OK button in the Record Input window. That's because the default path isn't set. This is the registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32\OpenSaveMRU\pxm
"some letter"="C:\\Path\\movie.pxm"
If it's blank, CRASH!
"Genuine self-esteem, however, consists not of causeless feelings, but of certain knowledge about yourself. It rests on the conviction that you — by your choices, effort and actions — have made yourself into the kind of person able to deal with reality. It is the conviction — based on the evidence of your own volitional functioning — that you are fundamentally able to succeed in life and, therefore, are deserving of that success." - Onkar Ghate
Bisqwit wrote:
Drama, too long, didn't read, lol.
Former player
Ok, another post by me in this thread. Not so much bugs, as odd occurances. 1)Wwhen playing at normal speed, the frame flashes red to indicate that there's a lag frame. now, this would seem all well and good as at 60fps a flash is all it'd last for. However, in frame advance mode, it still only flashes for a moment (sometimes not even that), not really informing you that it's a lag frame. 2) Unlike the video recording plugin, the sound recording plugin doesn't (seem to) record based on if the emulator is paused or frame advancing. Instead recording from the moment the button is pressed until the moment it is pressed again, making it slightly more difficult to get a good audio track to use for video. Any chance of getting the frame counter to stay a solid red colour during a lag frame to indicate such, and possibly updating the sound recording plugin to honour the frame counter (eg. if the emulator is paused, it wont record sound until it is unpaused, and only records frame by frame audio as opposed to everything if you paused it midway through and then unpaused which would screw up the audio). Cheers