Post subject: Jade Cocoon.
A major blast from my past. This game sort of resembles Pokémon in a way, since you send creatures out to do the fighting for you. Plus you have the option of capturing creatures you fight. I think this game deserves a TAS. ^.^
The game have so awful control :P But it might be fun :P
I'll admit the controls aren't that great, but it is a very fun game. I've been playing it, hehe. I loved this game when I had it around ten years ago, so I just had to play it.
Shameless dead thread bump! xD Well, with the new PSXjin in development, perhaps this game could be given another look? :3 Now, for a more detailed description. You could call this game the Pokémon prototype, since I believe it came out before the Pokémon games. There are several types of creatures you can capture in Cocoons, and each has a different Element that is strong or weak against another Element. The controls aren't too horrible, at least, I never had trouble playing it. But I'm not exactly sure how long the game is, since I've never actually beaten it, myself. I'm sure Critical Hits would have to be manipulated to make the run as short as possible. One of the most unique features of the game, is that you can combine two creatures to make a stronger creature. I'm not sure if you can just use any combination, though. I could probably go on with this forever, so I'll just stop now. xD
And...Shameless Bump! xD I've really given all the information I can about this game, I think. However, I think it would be a good TAS Choice not only because it's a decent game, but also because it's basically where Pokémon got it's start. You don't just face random monsters all of the time, either. You actually do face other Cocoon Masters from time to time as like Minibosses or Bosses. Not exactly sure on the Miniboss part, since I haven't played it in a couple years, now. However, from the lack of interest here on the forum, I take it not many people have played, or heard of this game. If you haven't played it, I urge you to do so. However, give the game a decent chance before you cast your judgement on it. I didn't like Paper Mario when I first played it brand new on N64, but it's one of my favorite games, now. xD
Former player
How shameless of you, Kitsune :P I suppose my opinion on this game is that it would be of questionable choice, with only soso entertainment. I haven't played it in many years, but I vaguely recall grinding and merging being almost a requirement to get past certain points. If a run could bypass the former almost entirely, without sacrificing huge amounts of time due to doing pitiful damage, it may get a more respectable response. I'd suggest (given the lack of response) that you give it a whirl yourself, and see how it turns out after a bit.
I'm not a runner, unfortunately. More than likely never will be. And TASing a game is just way out of my league.
Former player
Kitsune wrote:
I'm not a runner, unfortunately. More than likely never will be. And TASing a game is just way out of my league.
What better time to start, then?
Player (208)
Kitsune wrote:
You could call this game the Pokémon prototype, since I believe it came out before the Pokémon games.
According to Wikipedia: Jade Cocoon: - JP 1998-12-03 Jade Cocoon: - NA 1999-07-29 Pokémon Red and Green: - JP February 27, 1996 Pokémon Red and Blue: - NA September 28, 1998 So yes it did come out in Japan around the same time Pokemon hit the U.S., but it did not come out first in either country.
Atma wrote:
What better time to start, then?
Easy for you to say. I'm by no means a perfectionist. And I've seen how some people pick TASers apart when the run isn't up to their standards. So no thanks. [quote="According to Wikipedia: Jade Cocoon: - JP 1998-12-03 Jade Cocoon: - NA 1999-07-29 Pokémon Red and Green: - JP February 27, 1996 Pokémon Red and Blue: - NA September 28, 1998 So yes it did come out in Japan around the same time Pokemon hit the U.S., but it did not come out first in either country.[/quote] Oh, okay. I think I played Jade Cocoon first, though. Which is probably why my timeline is screwed up. I don't think there were any Pokémon Game commercials here when Red and Blue came out for a long time. Sucks living in Michigan.
I absolutely LOVED this game, and have thought of trying to TAS it, but, the truth is it wouldn't evolve into an entertaining video, sadly. The only entertainment value I think you can get from it would be an amusing merge outcome, but, that'd be better shown in a screenshot that a whole run of the game...