Post subject: Gens 10a Input Splice feature
Active player (254)
I'm starting my first TAS, Crusader of Centy. I've already done a regular, multi-segment speedrun of this so I already have most of my route planned out. However, there is a possibility that while playing it back, I'll discover some new tricks and will have to redo a certain part while keeping later inputs. This, I hear, is where the new "input splice" feature of Gens Movie 10a comes in. The problem is that I don't know how it works, and I can't seem to figure it out. There's no documentation for it. Could somebody explain to me very carefully how input splicing is performed so I don't screw up later?
Post subject: Re: Gens 10a Input Splice feature
upthorn
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Active player (388)
Eratyx wrote:
I'm starting my first TAS, Crusader of Centy. I've already done a regular, multi-segment speedrun of this so I already have most of my route planned out. However, there is a possibility that while playing it back, I'll discover some new tricks and will have to redo a certain part while keeping later inputs. This, I hear, is where the new "input splice" feature of Gens Movie 10a comes in. The problem is that I don't know how it works, and I can't seem to figure it out. There's no documentation for it. Could somebody explain to me very carefully how input splicing is performed so I don't screw up later?
First, play the movie to a good transition point, go to tools->input splice, and enter the number on the frame counter. This will save all the input past the number you entered. Then, redo the movie up to the exact point in gameplay that you entered, and go to tools->input splice again. This will copy the saved input back to the end of the recorded file, and enter playback mode so that you can screen for desyncs. Most games will probably require a bit of hex editing to get to resync all the way properly after an input splice.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
Active player (254)
I see! So once I've created the splice file, I can reload from a save state and redo that segment, making it faster. As for desyncs, I know it's one of the nightmares of TASers. I doubt that this game will be subject to it due to (1) no lag frames except in very rare situations and (2) little randomness, only in enemy movement patterns. Supposing it still desynced, I could just make another input splice, correct?
upthorn
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Active player (388)
Eratyx wrote:
I see! So once I've created the splice file, I can reload from a save state and redo that segment, making it faster. As for desyncs, I know it's one of the nightmares of TASers. I doubt that this game will be subject to it due to (1) no lag frames except in very rare situations and (2) little randomness, only in enemy movement patterns. Supposing it still desynced, I could just make another input splice, correct?
The first thing to try on splice-related desyncs is to go to the frame you were at when you ended the splice, and add or remove an empty frame.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
Active player (254)
Okay, I've got it now. In a test movie, I press A on frame 100, then tell it to save the splice at frame 100. If I go back and pause at frame 50 and put the splice in there, A is pressed on frame 51. Thanks for the hints!