Former player
(Edit) Since FCEUX 2.1.5 is fully functional with TASEdit now, I edited out my old methods using 2.0.3. See this link for information how to use it (includes a superb video). Credits to Feos for all the information and video, and to me for being the first to use this method. :3
Former player
(Edited out)
Banned User
I read in another thread that TAS Movie Editor allows the user to select multiple frames of input, and edit them. Is there any way that same method can be used in FCEUX's TASEdit? I wouldn't be surprised if it was impossible right now. I would strongly suggest this in the next FCEUX version/build.
Former player
I'm not sure exactly what you mean. You can select multiple frames and change them all at once, using Ctrl or Shift, if that's what you mean. You don't have to do them 1 Frame at a time.
Former player
Wow, I'd love to see this thing implemented into snes9x. It certainly would help a ton if it had 2p 3p and 4p support as well. I'd like it in all emulators actually.
I think.....therefore I am not Barry Burton
Former player
This one does have 2P support, but yes, a SNES one would be awesome. I also don't know how to TAS the traditional way, and I'm running a little low on NES games. ;;>_>
Editor, Skilled player (1505)
when I open a fm2-data the TAS Edit don't playback the movie, only when I add new inputs Why isn't Import fm2 working? This can be the most useful thing of TAS Edit.
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
I think the Manual for TASEditor should be a bit more trivial & visual for example: Load existing movie into TASEditor, by engaging TASEditor while the movie you need is loaded into emulator Doubleclick on frame number & the movie will be brought to this frame Click '||' to play movie from the current frame '<' and '>' advance movie 1 frame back or forward respectively You also may advance frames your usual way '<<' and '>>' bring movie to begining or end Add input by doubleclicking the place you need, accordingly to frame number & button, or you may highlight the frame & click on the button name in the headline EDIT: i lol'd hardly after realising that Tas Editor gives 0 rerecord count to movie XD also noticed that it actually can NOT paste frames, only cut. it is drawback... Add link to TASEdit page in 1st post http://tasvideos.org/EmulatorResources/TASEdit.html
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Some thoughts produced by IRC & myself. To load inputed segment of movie into tasedit one shall greenzone the necessary frames by running || button. If you set input, but try to play it by simply advancing >, your input won't load. Exception is for FrameAdvance Hot Key, all hotkeys work as in normal recording. This produces interesting effect of having different movies in TASEdit's memory at one time. It is like this picture: http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2970/91776230.png You have greenzoned 100 frames of input. Then returned to frame 0 & redid some input. Greenzoned only 80 frames. Then redid input once again & greenzoned only 30 frames. If you now watch the result by advancing >, you will see 30 frames of newest movie, then 50 frames of older movie, then 20 frames of the oldest one. And by greenzoning them all ( || ) till 100th frame you will replace old movies' events by new movie, getting it normal. So, speaking about rerecord count, one shall add a counter to this cycle: You edit input, then load it running || for the first time. This gives the first record, or 0 rerecord. All the next events like this will increase counter by 1. A note for monitoring RAM while advancing >. Memory Watch values advance according to a frame. But RAM Watch values freeze until you press your Frame Advance HotKey.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Skilled player (1637)
Sorry to derail, but for input editing, I highly recommend FatRatKnight's multi-track script. Its actually less of a multi-track script, and more of an input editor. It just serves as a different option.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
I absolutely love this tool. This (or something like it) is how I would love to start TASing. But, without the save options it's really limiting. You say you've made TAS's with it, how did you save? Just using save states?
Former player
To save you use "Export to FM2". And yeah, all of my TAS stuff was done using this. It can be a bit slower than just manually playing, but this method requires no skill of the player at all and makes inputs with certain patterns or multiple buttons easier (say pressing A every 20 frames, etc). It's barely functioning, but it's enough to work.
Binarynova, if you mean savestates for backup, you can save your session as *.tas, then require it when needed. Exporting each time to fm2 isn't necessary while you can save projest as *.tas. If you need to rewind to cirtain frame, or "go to frame" function, you load your project & just double click on the frame you need. It will run fast to that frame.
feos, I just booted up FCEUX 2.1.4 to double check that the save function didn't work for me. Of course, during my double check, I loaded the .tas file and it loaded fine. I'm not sure what I did wrong last week but it was loading a blank. Either way, it seems to be working now. I may give it one or two (probably several) more test runs before I have another go at a test run though, just to be safe. ;) Thank you!
A simple video where i played back my wip via TASEditor Link to video
Player (84)
There are a few things I can add here, since I'm currently working on a movie with TASEdit. However, please note I'm using FCEUX 2.1.5. I didn't want to create an entirely new thread, since the information already in this thread is valid for the latest version. You can save your projects by using "Save As" and saving over the old *.tas file, or by creating a new file. I will typically create a new file when I experiment with different routes, and then continue on with whichever file proves the fastest. Also, it may be because I have an old computer, but I can't switch between projects without first closing TASEdit, and re-opening it to select the other project. The copy and paste functions do work in the latest version, but you have to use the drop-down menu from the toolbar (ctrl-c and ctrl-v do not work). That is, you have to highlight the frames you want to copy, go to Edit->Copy, then go to the frame you want the input, and Edit->Paste. I only use "Export to FM2" when I want to save a movie on dehacked. However, the file size on the *.fm2 can become hefty, as it appears that TASEdit does some re-record tracking by adding several thousand "comment author TheHepper" lines to the input file. I manually delete these when creating a *.fm2 file to reduce size. So overall I think TASEdit works great, and can't imagine TASing with anything else. But the one thing that will have you pulling your hair out is setting it to read-write mode and accidently skipping ahead to later frames, over-writing input in the process. In practice, I only use the read-write feature (default hotkey "Q") for sequences in which I plan to hold down a button, and double-click the frames in read-only mode for jumps, etc. Lastly, I know this post is fragmented; but I've thought about putting together a complete walkthrough document for how to use TASEdit (with screenshots, etc.), and will gladly do so if anyone would like. I had planned to complete a movie with TASEdit first in order to improve my cred.
Since I reassigned read-write hotkey to Shift+Q, I have no problems with it. Also, if your first fm2 file has no author comments, tasedit doesn't touch it. You probably shall just wait more time to open another project. If it's the version of the same TAS, you'll have some frames already greenzoned. Tips. To load your memory off save project each time you get to some successfull point. Otherwise all the session would be kept in your RAM. You may fastforward the fm2 to some part, then engage tasedit & resume playing the movie back, loading only next data to tasedit. This allows it to save projects faster. You even can load a movie starting from savestate & engage tasedit then to work with this movie. As for tutorial... Link to video And yeah, tasvideos already have published a movie done completely in tasedit. See my profile for it.
Former player
Haha, it's cool to see other TASers doing this! :D
Experienced player (509)
Is it possible to use the Zapper while using TAS Editor or is that feature not built in yet? I tried but could not figure out a way for it to work.
AnS
Emulator Coder, Experienced player (723)
goofydylan8 wrote:
Is it possible to use the Zapper while using TAS Editor or is that feature not built in yet? I tried but could not figure out a way for it to work.
Currently Tas Editor goes through heavy remaking, but there's no plans to add the zapper feature. NES zapper games are too trivial to optimize, I don't think you need that amount of precision Taseditor provides. In fact, you can make frame-perfect TAS of, say, Duck Hunt, without even Frame Advance key.
Experienced player (509)
I know it is sort of niche as far less people run FDS compared to Famicom and NES but is there any plans to include the option to eject and flip the FDS disk to the .tas file input? I know fceux has in itself has an option to eject and flip the disk but if it is chosen while using TAS Editor it progresses the movie a frame and accomplishes the goal, but on playback it acts as if the option wasn't selected.
AnS
Emulator Coder, Experienced player (723)
OK, done. But you won't see any symbols on frames where you invoke disk commands, so you'd better set Markers to remember the place. And to delete these commands you'll have to delete the frame. This feature isn't used often enough to grant adding new columns to Piano Roll.
Experienced player (509)
Thanks. That is good enough for me. I actually found out by trying to play a billiards game that would never be accepted here so it really wasn't that imperative. I just figured that there most likely is a future publishable run that requires it. Thanks again.
nocash4u
She/Her
TASEdit plugin ins't a good plugins for game such Mario , but still good
Experienced player (509)
retardedhorse wrote:
TASEdit plugin ins't a good plugins for game such Mario , but still good
What do you mean by this? I have not seen a single game that TAS Editor "ins't a good plugin" for. It works in the exact same way as normal fceux except you don't have to worry about making save states and it is far easier to see and introduce patterns.