1 2
5 6
NESAtlas
He/Him
Player (56)
I've mashed up Lord Tom's Metroid Speed Run with an Atlas map. You can watch it here. I'd love to know what you guys think! Feel free to suggest other TAS videos you'd like to see mashed up too. EDIT: Here's all of them so far (not all speed runs): Nevermind... just see http://youtube.com/nesatlas
Skilled player (1402)
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
This is awesome! It must have been an absolute headache to put together, and I congratulate you for it. Now, what about, say, the current Mega Man 2 run? Seeing the map jump around all over the place would be hilarious.
NESAtlas
He/Him
Player (56)
sgrunt wrote:
This is awesome! It must have been an absolute headache to put together, and I congratulate you for it. Now, what about, say, the current Mega Man 2 run? Seeing the map jump around all over the place would be hilarious.
Yeah it was a bit of a headache shifting the footage frame-by-frame... but worth it in the end :) Mega Man would be awesome too! I've already done two already but they're not speed runs... here's Flash Man's stage.
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
I like what I see there
Wow, that's great. But it must've been a pain in ass to create.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4139)
Frame-by-frame? How long did it take for you to create such videos?
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Very nice! Seeing how the different sectors relate to each other, and seeing how the patterns in the vertical shafts repeat, was quite nifty. Other games I could see this working well for (just as possible ideas): * Zelda 1 and 2 * Castlevanias * Batman * Blaster Master * Legacy of the Wizard
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
NESAtlas
He/Him
Player (56)
Mothrayas wrote:
If I had to guess... I'd say the Metroid video took maybe 16 hours to put together. Rendering in 1080p took 2 hours and final filesize was about half a gigabyte. Definitely a labor of love and totally worth it in the end :) Would you agree?
Noxxa
They/Them
AndyDick wrote:
Mothrayas wrote:
If I had to guess... I'd say the Metroid video took maybe 16 hours to put together. Rendering in 1080p took 2 hours and final filesize was about half a gigabyte. Definitely a labor of love and totally worth it in the end :) Would you agree?
Heh, definitely. These videos are awesome. Though I wonder if it's possible using Lua scripts making this easier to do.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
NESAtlas
He/Him
Player (56)
Derakon wrote:
Very nice! Seeing how the different sectors relate to each other, and seeing how the patterns in the vertical shafts repeat, was quite nifty. Other games I could see this working well for (just as possible ideas): * Zelda 1 and 2 * Castlevanias * Batman * Blaster Master * Legacy of the Wizard
I already did the 1st Dungeon of Zelda but it's not a speed run... I'm sure I'll do a complete speed run sooner or later though seeing as how the gameplay footage doesn't actually move too often. Unlike Metroid which moved between 1 and 8 pixels almost every frame... ugh! Legacy of the Wizard & Castlevania would be great too! Thx for the suggestions.
Former player
This is most awesome! Great work AndyDick!
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3596)
WOW. This is very impressive and most awesome to watch.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
I'd really like to see if we can find a way for these to be done automatically. And if you're taking more suggestions, M.C. Kids would make for some interesting videos. (Too bad there don't seem to be any maps made for that game?)
I like my "thank you"s in monetary form.
Skilled player (1402)
AndyDick wrote:
I already did the 1st Dungeon of Zelda but it's not a speed run... I'm sure I'll do a complete speed run sooner or later though seeing as how the gameplay footage doesn't actually move too often.
Hmm, Zelda would be very nice... might be hard to pick which run though... the second quest run is optimized with the screen glitch, but that very glitch might look weird when displayed on a big map...
Player (116)
How about that mega man where hes glitching through the floors like crazy? Also, some of the sonic runs this would be cool for.
[19:16] <scrimpy> silly portuguese [19:16] <scrimpy> it's like spanish, only less cool
Editor, Active player (296)
I liked the motion blur at 2:00. Very cool. I believe much of this could be automated, though. See for example what I did here: http://bisqwit.iki.fi/jutut/nesvpic/other.html Examples such as "Super Mario Bros 2..." and "Rockman: Bombman... (big and long!)" are worth mentioning. Being just animated GIFs, they are without music, of course. The automated process of mine does not know the map beforehand; it only records what was seen in the game, so it doesn't know of rooms that are never visited.
NESAtlas
He/Him
Player (56)
Bisqwit wrote:
I liked the motion blur at 2:00. Very cool. I believe much of this could be automated, though. See for example what I did here: http://bisqwit.iki.fi/jutut/nesvpic/other.html Examples such as "Super Mario Bros 2..." and "Rockman: Bombman... (big and long!)" are worth mentioning. Being just animated GIFs, they are without music, of course. The automated process of mine does not know the map beforehand; it only records what was seen in the game, so it doesn't know of rooms that are never visited.
That's pretty interesting. What I've been wanting to do is have the off screen enemies being continually animated on the map until the player reaches their position. Seems like your tool could really help with that!
Noxxa
They/Them
AndyDick wrote:
What I've been wanting to do is have the off screen enemies being continually animated on the map until the player reaches their position. Seems like your tool could really help with that!
I doubt that's possible, since usually enemies don't move until they appear on-screen. And if you were to let them move from the beginning of the level/game/whatever, their movements would probably not correlate with what happens in the video when they do appear onscreen (i.e. appear onscreen with a different/wrong position).
NESAtlas
He/Him
Player (56)
Mothrayas wrote:
AndyDick wrote:
What I've been wanting to do is have the off screen enemies being continually animated on the map until the player reaches their position. Seems like your tool could really help with that!
I doubt that's possible, since usually enemies don't move until they appear on-screen. And if you were to let them move from the beginning of the level/game/whatever, their movements would probably not correlate with what happens in the video when they do appear onscreen (i.e. appear onscreen with a different/wrong position).
I think it really depends on the game and how the enemies move. It won't work for a lot of games, but I bet at least some would work. As for which game... can't really think of one at the moment.
Active player (277)
You could figure how much time it takes to reach the enemy, reverse its movement pattern for that amount of time, then start the enemy from that point for your animation. But yeah, that would be a whole lot of work for something that's not very authentic...
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
NESAtlas
He/Him
Player (56)
Bag of Magic Food wrote:
You could figure how much time it takes to reach the enemy, reverse its movement pattern for that amount of time, then start the enemy from that point for your animation. But yeah, that would be a whole lot of work for something that's not very authentic...
Yes exactly what I was thinking already! And honestly I think it would be worth the extra effort as long as it looked authentic... especially if its a game where enemy paths are already predetermined regardless if the player is next to them or not (like a koopa turtle walking back and forth between two pipes). All I would need to do is "sync" it for when the player actually arrives.
Player (120)
I will pile on another "holy crap"! Please share whatever you work on next :)
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
Let me toss in another "WOW, That was totally awesome".
Lord_Tom
He/Him
Expert player (3273)
GAH why do I always find out about awesome things like this when I'm at work and can't watch?! And it's even for one of my runs! Can't wait to check it out, sounds awesome, and based on the description I would totally flip if it were replicated for Legacy of the Wizard!
1 2
5 6