Post subject: Website suggestion - ScrewAttack
GabCM
He/Him
I think it's the right place to make that king of suggestions. If it's not, feel free to move. I found another website where we can upload encoded tool-assisted speedruns. It's ScrewAttack.com. It's a website where anyone can post blogs and videos about video games. Sure, the site's staff has their own videos, but it's doesn't prevent anyone to upload anything gaming-related. About the video, the maximum file size is 500 MB. You can add tags too. It has its own embeddable flash video player, so it's possible to embed it in the publication's page on TASvideos.org. An interesting feature is the fact that we can create a "show" which is a page where multiple videos are grouped together. Multiple users can upload videos on the same show (it's up to the show's owner to add users). But I don't think it supports 60 FPS. The encoding will probably reduce the frame rate to 30 FPS. And I'm not sure about the time limit, since they don't talk about that. Here are some screenshots and links to show how it does look like. Video page Video uploading form Show starting form Show's user manager Show page Embeddable player So, what do you think?
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
I am not in a position to make decisions but I think this sounds like an excellent idea. I support it.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3596)
I didn't know users could upload to screwattack like that or I would have already done this. But here we go, let's see what happens; http://screwattack.com/shows/TASVideos
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
I think adelikat just likes having his name on as many things as possible ;P
Show Vitals wrote:
Tool-assisted game movies PUNCTUATION When human skills are just not enough! These movies are Tool-assisted meaning they are emulator replays that take advantage of tools to perfect game input. These movies overcome human limitations to complete games with extremely high precision, entertaining our viewers as our players tear through games at seemingly impossible speeds.
Huzzah for editing!
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.
GabCM
He/Him
I knew it was a good idea! The Mario 3 TAS got in the Community Spotlight! [URL=http://img508.imageshack.us/i/epicwine.jpg/][/URL]
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
The Super Mario Bros. 3 stream is somewhat ugly and scaled... does anyone have any information as to what resolutions Screwattack transcodes to? Also, I'm not sure if I'll make an account myself... I usually do keep inside 500 megabytes, but quite a few of my HD encodes break that easily, again, resolution information would clear this up by quite a bit. It turns out I made an account over a year ago... does adelikat feel like letting me post videos onto the show?
Experienced player (612)
Flygon wrote:
The Super Mario Bros. 3 stream is somewhat ugly and scaled... does anyone have any information as to what resolutions Screwattack transcodes to?
Looks like 320x240. I think we should resize the videos before we upload them because their resizer is awful.
320*240... that... is really quite odd. It almost looks like they're downsizing it. @.@ Perhaps a 4K video intended for YouTube should be fed into it and see what happens, heh... worst comes to worst, it downsizes.
GabCM
He/Him
Flygon wrote:
The Super Mario Bros. 3 stream is somewhat ugly and scaled...
Same thing for the other TAS videos. I wasn't expecting that.
Flygon wrote:
It turns out I made an account over a year ago... does adelikat feel like letting me post videos onto the show?
You can add publishers and encoders to the show's user list, as long as they have a ScrewAttack account.
VANDAL wrote:
Looks like 320x240. I think we should resize the videos before we upload them because their resizer is awful.
Or we can encode them at a higher resolution, since they support "HD", even if I think it's not real HD.
adelikat
He/Him
So the experiment to put some TAS movies on Screwattack seems to have worked out well. Once I put the new SMB3 warps publication there it did get featured on the community spotlight! The number of views for that movie shot up considerably and the response while mixed was for the most part positive. I was disappointed about the quality of the video after the site processes it but I am trying some Flygon HD encodes to see how they handle those.
Patashu
He/Him
As a note for the tetris TAS upload on screwattack: The description states it starts on level 19, but this one starts on level 18.
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
adelikat
He/Him
Patashu wrote:
As a note for the tetris TAS upload on screwattack: The description states it starts on level 19, but this one starts on level 18.
You are fast! I caught that after I started the upload but had to wait until it was available to change it. It has been fixed now.
juef
He/Him
Player (131)
Is it me or the tag(s) seems to be entered incorrectly? It's as if it was one very long tag instead of multiple individual tags.
On the upside, as least it downscales my HD encodes wonderfully. Though, uploading them to Archive.org will be extremely difficult, especially when you consider that other encoders will probably encode the movie (Eliminating me from using Archive), and that Screwattack has a 500MB limit... which blows the chance for half of my HD encodes. Perhaps we should consider just using 2x scaled videos for upload to Screwattack? Yes, it creates a third branch of encoding, but it's worth it when you consider that only more notable TAS's seem to be getting uploaded anyway.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
Speaking of which, how about we try gametrailers? Or do they suck?
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Experienced player (612)
NitroGenesis wrote:
Speaking of which, how about we try gametrailers? Or do they suck?
GameTrailers sucks. Their encoder only handles like three formats and the specifications have to be pretty low on CPU usage or else their encoder freaks out and leaves it in limbo for about 3 days. Not only does their encoder suck but uploading is a pain. You can only upload video that's 200MBs or smaller. Sometimes uploading will just lose focus and it'll either start over or just go back to 0% and never budge. It also has the same/similar problem that ScrewAttack has where it'll really mess up the resolution. There's a lot wrong with GameTrailers and their encoder. The community is pretty much full of morons but there are some cool people with an open mind that actually enjoy TASes. I'm not saying that we shouldn't give them a try but be forewarned, it's frustrating because of how little control you have.
Reviewer, Active player (277)
Is it just me, or did one of our videos disappear?
Tompa
Any
Editor, Expert player (2142)
He removed it because the quality was horrible.
Active player (420)
I've been featured twice in Community Spotlight with my Mario 64 videos. Once around December for this video, and last month in July for this one. =)
Player (60)
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/top-10-screwattack/704480 Screwattack mentions "Tools Assisted runs" on Screwattack's Top 10 hardest NES video.
greenalink.blogspot.com
GabCM
He/Him
GreenaLink wrote:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/top-10-screwattack/704480 Screwattack mentions "Tools Assisted runs" on Screwattack's Top 10 hardest NES video.
"No tool assited speedruns!" Epic reference!
GreenaLink wrote:
I sure hope he allows player 2 to die on Clinger Wingers and come back, otherwise it'd be impossible to score all that swag being offered.
GabCM
He/Him
Seriously, we definately had an influence on ScrewAttack. If their video processing method wasn't crap, we would probably invade (jk) ScrewAttack.
Mister Epic, HD (And persumadly HQ) encodes process surprisingly well. The restriction of us uploading videos there is artificial, to prevent us from flooding them with videos that people might not necessarily watch.