Submission Text Full Submission Page
As always, I have provided a release package on my sourceforge project. It includes the movie file, submission text, Lua script, and spreadsheets. I highly recommend using the PunchoutStats.lua script if watching it in an emulator. It shows all the damage, health, and timers which makes it clearer what is going on.
Unlike the published movie this movie takes advantage of the clock stopping glitch. This is a glitch that allows the clock to stop which can significantly reduce clock times. It is only available on opponents that Mac can "rapid punch". This is possible on 5 opponents. The glitch is utilized on 4 of them.
CS glitch times
  • Don 1 - 11.97 (14.97 no cs)
  • Soda: 32.48 (44.25 no cs)
  • Don 2: 44.48 (58.00 no cs)
  • Macho: 35.82 (45.25 no cs)
All other opponent times are the same as the no glitch version.
The clock stopping glitch involves delivering a rapid punch to the opponent then doing a delayed jab that will glitch the clock into remaining stopped. It will not restart again unless Mac delivers a stunned punch or uppercut (or either Mac or the opponent get knocked down). Not all opponent punches can be countered with rapid punches so the logic here is to get the opponent to throw such a punch as soon as possible. This leads to some very counter intuitive strategies. For instance, on both Soda & Don II, I have to get knocked down twice. In fact, in each case Mac is one punch away from losing the fight.
The clock stopping glitch makes a real time trade off of about 1 minute because once the clock is stopped, uppercuts can not be used which lengthens the fights (as well as being knocked down). However, real time is not the primary goal in this movie nor the no glitch version. And the no glitch version makes a number of real time tradeoffs. Sandman, Piston II, Piston I, and Don II could all be beaten faster if aiming for real time. Also, both take advantage of clock stopping. The clock stops momentarily during rapid punches, stunned punches, and uppercuts. Maximizing the time that the clock is stopped is a standard feature of most fast Punch-Out Strats.
This version shows off a nice glitch and some surprising strategies and so I propose that this movie be published along side the glitchless version.
For more information about the clock stopping glitch and MTPO in general, see the Game Resources page.
Enjoy!

Nach: This glitch does not seem special enough to warrant a separate run. If the glitch changed much of the run it might, but as it is now, it does not. Rejecting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Jess
She/Her
Site Developer
Claimed for HD encode. HD encode exists. Nevermind.
Editor, Expert player (2313)
Only 4 out of 13 matches use the clock-stopping glitch. In my opinion, this isn't enough to warrant a seperate category. In fact, I think it would be the best to have this movie obsolete the other movie and call the category "fastest times by all means".
Soda's time is 31.82, not 32.48. Anyway, I'm not so sure this deserves a separate category due to the large similarity to the currently published video. I enjoyed the new strategies in this run, but I skipped the rest of the video.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
Voting no, the movie's just the same as the published run except for some fights being significantly slower realtime, for a lesser gain of in-game time.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Hmm, looking at it again, it seems like there are already clock-stopping glitch runs on the site. For the sake of precedent, this video should be published. If not, the whole category should be removed (have we ever removed videos from the site? I don't think so).
Player (142)
I think this should obsolete the other run that aims for in-game time. First and foremost I already think it's silly to aim for in-game time instead of real time. So having two in-game time categories seems way too arbitrary for me.
Scepheo wrote:
I think this should obsolete the other run that aims for in-game time. First and foremost I already think it's silly to aim for in-game time instead of real time. So having two in-game time categories seems way too arbitrary for me.
This is the in-game time run, though.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Out of the 4 new fights, I like Don Flamenco I and Super Macho Man. Those show off new strategies while still looking silly, like Mac is toying with them more. However, the other two fights, involving all the knockdowns, feel sloppy. I know those fights are deliberately set up that way, and adelikat, you definitely get credit for working out those strategies, but it doesn't come off as impressive. I feel like this particular glitch is well-known enough, though, that Punch-Out enthusiasts would benefit from seeing a clockstop run on the main site. I would vote Meh because of this, but so many of the fights are also quite similar to the published run, which leads me towards No. I don't think I'm voting in this one.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
I had to watch the other CS glitch runs before I watched this one, and when I did, I noticed that none of the times were improved from the submission earlier this month. But I guess that means they were already optimal.
mklip2001 wrote:
I feel like this particular glitch is well-known enough, though, that Punch-Out enthusiasts would benefit from seeing a clockstop run on the main site.
I agree, and I am voting yes because both this submission and the published run aim for in-game time, and this one beats the published run in that category. It should obsolete the published run.
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2121)
I don't really see a reason for both runs to exist on the site. If this is published, I would hope that it obsoletes the other movie instead of being published alongside it. I will abstain from voting for now.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Editor, Expert player (2313)
Hmm, looking at it again, it seems like there are already clock-stopping glitch runs on the site. For the sake of precedent, this video should be published. If not, the whole category should be removed (have we ever removed videos from the site? I don't think so).
It should be handled on a game-per-game basis. If cs and no-cs runs are different enough from each other, then publication alongside each other should be warranted but this is not the case here (in my opinion).
Active player (432)
Mothrayas wrote:
Voting no, the movie's just the same as the published run except for some fights being significantly slower realtime, for a lesser gain of in-game time.
This. Voted no.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3598)
Kles wrote:
Hmm, looking at it again, it seems like there are already clock-stopping glitch runs on the site.
But no clock stopping glitch movie has been published, only submitted.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Skilled player (1637)
I feel like this video deserves a tag line in the publication, like the two 14% runs of Super Metroid, but it isn't sufficiently different or interesting to the non-punchout enthusiast to warrant a separate publication.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
I agree with the feeling expressed by a few people above. This is a good submission, but I don't think there should be two categories for a game like this. So I abstain from voting, or rather, I throw a "pick one" vote in the pile either keep the old one (and do what DarkKobold said, write a mention in the summary), or obsolete the old one with this (since this one uses a glitch it has that little something better than the other one, which can be likewise linked).
AngerFist wrote:
Mothrayas wrote:
This. Voted no.
Exactly. Also, it is less entertaining than the published run.
My first language is not English, so please excuse myself if I write something wrong. I'll do my best do write as cleary as I can, so cope with me here =) (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ
adelikat wrote:
Kles wrote:
Hmm, looking at it again, it seems like there are already clock-stopping glitch runs on the site.
But no clock stopping glitch movie has been published, only submitted.
Oh, really? My bad for not reading a little more closely. If those runs were submitted but not published, I don't see any reason this one should be published.
DarkKobold wrote:
I feel like this video deserves a tag line in the publication, like the two 14% runs of Super Metroid, but it isn't sufficiently different or interesting to the non-punchout enthusiast to warrant a separate publication.
Good idea. This isn't a new speedrun, just an "alternate run" to the currently published one.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... om, nom, nom... nom nom