Hello! This is my Chakan TAS that I said was discontinued but then found a workaround and managed to complete. Enjoy!
This is a 19852 frame (05:30.87) improvement over the previous submission due to a new glitch and several optimizations.

RAM Watches

AddressName
00FFC0E8X Speed
00FFC0EAY Speed
00FF515EEarth Boss HP
00FF5766Water Boss HP
00FF25A0Final Boss Phase 1 HP
00FF24A0Final Boss Phase 2 HP

Tricks/Glitches

Infinite Double Jump This is by far the highlight of the run. By attacking for one frame and then doing a jump while holding up, you are able to do another jump in the air. This helps skip large chunks of the game, especially the air stages. This glitch also works with the grapple since its the only other weapon in the game that allows you to perform a double jump.
New Speed Management Sometimes when you do a slide, your speed decreases slowly over time. By doing a lttle adjustments, I was able to get constant speed in a lot more places in the run. This can be seen in the first Earth Stage.

Closing Comments

This was quite relaxing to do. At first it seemed like it would be a drag to do since this game is 30 FPS. But once I tried it out for a bit, It got suprisingly enjoyable. It was also nice to take a short break from making the new Sonic 2 run since there arent so many things I have to worry about.
Also, Shoutouts to Wulf for finding the double jump glitch in the first place. Without his discovery, not nearly this much time could have been saved.
Suggested Screenshot:

sgrunt: Replaced with a 14 frame faster version at the request of the author.
klmz: Claimed.
sgrunt: Replaced with a 02:00.43 faster version at the request of the author.
feos: Next HD encode delivered.
klmz: The latest ZIP archive contains one extra folder and one more movie file inside the folder besides the top-leveled movie file. Will not judge until this gets clarified. See also the Submission Instructions.
sgrunt: Sorry, that was an error on my part in the replacement. Fixed.
klmz: Accepted as an improvement to the published movie.

Brandon: Publication underway.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3053: Sonikkustar's Genesis Chakan: The Forever Man in 12:08.52
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
I will make HD encode.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Well, this was quite surprising. It was a pretty good watch too. The repeated jumping glitch is obviously the major change, which has the extra advantage of making a lot of parts less boring (all the Air stages, for instance, and most of the Fire stages). You had pretty good style choices too with the boring ice boss, though maybe some more Chakan posing would've been fun, like the published run has. I just have one question. In the published movie, the main reason for playing the stage with the Axe was to get the clear potion for High Jump. You no longer need High Jump to get the potions in the stage with the Trident. Would it save time to skip the Axe stage and just fight the octopus boss with the swords?
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Skilled player (1307)
mklip2001 wrote:
I just have one question. In the published movie, the main reason for playing the stage with the Axe was to get the clear potion for High Jump. You no longer need High Jump to get the potions in the stage with the Trident. Would it save time to skip the Axe stage and just fight the octopus boss with the swords?
This might save some time, but not that much because the octopus boss has very odd hit boxes. That and the swords only do 1 damage as opossed to the axe which does 2. Also, feos. Dont encode just yet. Im going to improve the final boss later today and ask for the movie to be replaced.
I liked it up until the first boss battle. Then each subsequent boss battle. Really killed it for me.
good improvent, but it's kinda single toned, sorry my first NO vote
live life
Patashu
He/Him
Is it poor form to Yes a movie because you love the game it's TASing? Because I am in love with this game now. <3
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
OMG, I uploaded it yesterday & only now I'm knowing that it was in vain. Okay, next attempt will be later, now you watch what I got. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pimid_kePrw
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
I'd be interested to see what the time difference would actually be with skipping the first stage and fighting the Octopus with the swords. Having a few more hits seems like it would be quicker than going through a whole extra stage (especially since you have to spend more time in the "area selection" place to go between the stages). But in any case, this still deserves a Yes vote.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Skilled player (1307)
I might get back to you on that actually at a later date. But for now, Im just glad that the run was finished. Now im off to go focus my TAS energy on a different game!
Editor
Note to self: Swing swords in hands rapidly. Gain ability to fly. The first 20 seconds is enough for me to say yes. He flies like magic.
When TAS does Quake 1, SDA will declare war. The Prince doth arrive he doth please.
I found this run very entertaining to watch
Jungon
He/Him
Player (40)
Is that 4 minutes credit screen really supposed to be slow and 'a bucket of cold water'? The first 10 minutes of the video are genius, amazing great TASing, but the last 4 minutes were really boring to watch... can't vote yet, I'm thinking >.> I'm sure that people know it, so I will say it: hold Up on the credits, any credits in the game, and they scroll faster =P a little more than 200% speed if I remember well.. *person that finished this game on hard mode playing on console and a crappy 3-button joystick, old and stiff*
*Jungon*/*Johnnyz* smilie weirdo =P ^^ o.o @__@ +D
Skilled player (1307)
Jungon wrote:
I'm sure that people know it, so I will say it: hold Up on the credits, any credits in the game, and they scroll faster =P a little more than 200% speed if I remember well..
Oh wow. I just checked this and it saves 2 minutes off the run. Should I just have it replaced again since its just the credits? I hope youre sastified with the run now Jungon!
New HD encode will follow after the movie gets accepted. EDIT: okay, in some days really.
Jungon
He/Him
Player (40)
Oh Yeah =P Now it's a strong Yes \o
*Jungon*/*Johnnyz* smilie weirdo =P ^^ o.o @__@ +D
Skilled player (1469)
I haven't seen the precious one,only see this great one. Yes vote.And i will try to play it.
Do the work.
Patashu
He/Him
I love it when someone optimizes the hell out of the TAS, then don't know they can fast forward through cutscenes or something similarly trivial. :D
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Patashu: TASers always look for unusual solutions. Pressing A on credits is too simple to find out for them.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
Pressing A on the credits does nothing.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
I meant pressing Up.
Discovering that pressing up on the credits speeds them up isn't easy. Also, I disagree with your claim about TASers often missing simple stuff.
Sonikkustar wrote:
I might get back to you on that actually at a later date.
I would like to see it as well.
AzumaK wrote: I swear my 1 year old daughter's favorite TASVideo is your R4MI run :3 xxNKxx wrote: ok thanks handsome feos :D Help improving TASVideos!
TASers often missing simple stuff.
I've never said that. >_>
feos wrote:
TASers often missing simple stuff.
I've never said that. >_>
You seemed to mean that with the following claims:
feos wrote:
Patashu: TASers always look for unusual solutions. Pressing A on credits is too simple to find out for them.
Anyway, I disagree with what is quoted right above this line, even if you meant "pressing up". <_< By the way, thank you for the encode.
AzumaK wrote: I swear my 1 year old daughter's favorite TASVideo is your R4MI run :3 xxNKxx wrote: ok thanks handsome feos :D Help improving TASVideos!
Zeupar: I didn't put smilies near that my post about simple stuff, but it was not serious either.