(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
This is a special submission! It's a bit late, though, I'm sorry.
I was laying in bed with a nasty sinus infection on the real date.
To play this movie, please change two bytes, starting from the fourth byte in the ROM, to 04 01.
This movie will not play back properly otherwise!
The fourth byte is byte 0003. Remember, humans count from one.
Submission goals:
  • Aims for fastest time.
  • Collects 0% items.
  • Ignores all goals of the game.
  • Ignores the ending.
  • Includes handy DVD scene selector after the movie completes! Use left/right to control.
  • Has a nice frame count (234)
  • Was crated and submitted halfway between the day it was due and my birthday
  • Plays a good game
  • Uses no precomposed SRAM: This is an important one, and can be verified by checking the movie file
Happy April, everyone. Sorry I was late.

Nach: I'm all over this one! :)

Nach: Surprisingly, I don't find this run acceptable, what with it not being made for any game in existence and all.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Editor, Player (67)
Obligatory yes vote for Zelda improvement. Also, hi, Xkeeper.
Current Projects: TAS: Wizards & Warriors III.
Banned User
In case you are in doubt, it really does work and the movie does complete the game if you do it properly. :) Thanks Dacicus. Nice to be back (even if only for a little while).
My TAS voted no on your TAS.
LSK
Just watched it, and... wow. What does that slight bit of hex editing cause, and what's going on in the movie?
Why am I hacking the ROM to get it to sync?
Banned User
ObadiahtheSlim wrote:
Why am I hacking the ROM to get it to sync?
LSK
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Nice. I'm ok with this being a little late for April Fool's Day. I approve of the choice of 4 and 1 as the byte values. Still voting No, though... but I approve of the idea. This also gave me a nifty April Fool's idea too late: just have a movie enable Sound Test and play around with some jams. (I know that, for instance, you can do this with Kirby's Dream Land.)
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Patashu
He/Him
mklip2001 wrote:
This also gave me a nifty April Fool's idea too late: just have a movie enable Sound Test and play around with some jams. (I know that, for instance, you can do this with Kirby's Dream Land.)
Can you do it anyway? :D
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Banned User
I agree! It would be interesting to see. I'm all for more unique videos (as most of you undoubtedly know). I tried to do something different for this year's other than the "fastest game over" crap (it was old three years ago, guys). Hope it was something unique, though I wish the encode went to the end. As for big improvements? You can use "__z" or something instead to shave off more time; I just wrote "END" for fun. Call it an entertainment tradeoff :)
LSK
Minaya wrote:
I tried to do something different for this year's other than the "fastest game over" crap (it was old three years ago, guys). Hope it was something unique, though I wish the encode went to the end.
I would've done a longer encode, but I don't know anything about encoding efficiently, so what you are viewing is actually 7 seconds of uncompressed video. It uses a whopping 240 MB on my hard drive.
Banned User
Oh! Impressive, impressive. I'd never have expected someone to go through the trouble for me! Also, don't mind the comments on that video -- I'm a smartass to the bitter end.
nice april fools joke, but still NO for me
live life
Editor
Hacking the ROM? That's in the realm of cheating. Though, it's interesting how it broke. Anyone know why it did this?
When TAS does Quake 1, SDA will declare war. The Prince doth arrive he doth please.
LSK
hegyak wrote:
Hacking the ROM? That's in the realm of cheating. Though, it's interesting how it broke. Anyone know why it did this?
Modify the ROM in the specified way and it should be a little clearer what's going on. It's a deliberate debug feature.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Unfortunately, I don't see myself doing a sound test video in the near future, as I have yet to learn how to actually TAS anything well. With grad school finishing up, I don't see myself having the time to learn either :-( Furthermore, I don't trust my musical talents. Thanks for the encouragement though.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Patryk1023
He/Him
/0_o\? ...HELL!
<Nach> scrimpy is fretty with her sunglasses on I'm here. never visible.
LSK wrote:
Modify the ROM in the specified way and it should be a little clearer what's going on. It's a deliberate debug feature.
so, this still works if the ROM iis not hacked?
My first language is not English, so please excuse myself if I write something wrong. I'll do my best do write as cleary as I can, so cope with me here =) (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ
LSK
OmegaWatcher wrote:
LSK wrote:
so, this still works if the ROM iis not hacked?
No. But modify the ROM in the specified way and play around with it, and it'll make more sense what's going on.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Nice, but this goes against what this site is about, IMO anyways. Hacking to make a game work in an emulator or a full rom hack to make the game different or harder? Fine. Hacking it to go straight to the ending? Eh...no fun really. NO vote.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
I believe this can be classified as a hack. As such, it is an extremely boring hack, as its sole purpose seems to be to allow for skipping directly to a glitched ending. I say No.
Synahel
She/Her
Former player
Funny, but I consider this a hack of the rom, so No.
Senior Moderator
This is a hack of the ROM, as you're modifying the content of the ROM, there's nothing really to consider. :P
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Banned User
The fact that this is being taken even somewhat serious has wrapped around from dumb to hilarious. I love you folks. <3
Editor, Expert player (2313)
mklip2001 wrote:
This also gave me a nifty April Fool's idea too late: just have a movie enable Sound Test and play around with some jams. (I know that, for instance, you can do this with Kirby's Dream Land.)
Did something like this with Amazing Mirror.