Submission Text Full Submission Page
A pirated NES game has survived! This beats nitrogenesis's run by 20 35 frames.

Game objectives

-
  • Emulator used: This FCEUX version
  • Manipulates Luck
  • Fastest Time

Comments

This run was made after I discovered that you can manipulate enemies away from the game without pausing. I could've gotten faster, but I got horrid luck at the end. :(
Suggested ScreenShot: Frame 2548

DarkKobold: judging.

Baxter: Submission file replaced as requested by the author.

DarkKobold: This is just a bad pirate game, and doesn't offer a whole lot to the audience. Rejecting for bad game choice.

adelikat: This movie has been beaten. Setting back to rejected.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3384: jlun2's NES The Lost World: Jurassic Park in 00:55.41
Skilled player (1706)
I've managed to improve the run by another 15 frames due to (somewhat) better luck. Can a Mod please replace the movie with this file? Thanks!
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
Do I see another Baby Moses on the horizon? I better damn hope so.
Skilled player (1706)
Temp Encode: Link to video Edit: The video is the updated version of the run.
Banned User, Former player
There's significantly less fireball shooting. Is that a good or a bad thing?
Skilled player (1706)
Warp wrote:
There's significantly less fireball shooting. Is that a good or a bad thing?
I was hoping the vanishing T-Rex and faster completion was enough to make up for the lack of action. =P
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Wow, a frame war on this game? Nice improvement. It's so fast it's entertaining! I retain my Yes vote.
I like this movie a lot. Well deserved yes vote.
Skilled player (1307)
I dont think there is enough content for this to be entertaining. The "wall jump" was neat, but the gameplay as a whole seems too simple & too short. Sorry, but voting No for Bad Game Choice.
Skilled player (1637)
My feeling is that this game should not be treated as a normal NES title, but more like we treat hacks - the hack has to be of sufficient value in addition to the quality of the TAS. This game is very poorly implemented, executed, etc. In the last submission, most votes were "yes, because it is short." However, you have to burn the rope was also short, and was not accepted, because of the lack of actual depth. I played this game (when I thought I would be judging it.) While the game is longer (you have to get a key card to go the roof), there is not an extreme amount of depth. Additionally, there isn't much here that screams TAS. Even the one glitch is easy to implement in real time. No vote.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
Senior Moderator
Voted meh. I'm not opposed to this run being published, but of all the 55-something seconds only one was actually notable, imo.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
I thought the first submission of this game was fairly funny. With less action, I don't really think so anymore. It's unfortunate sometimes how more optimization can remove entertainment. I'll go with Meh for similar reasons to moozooh. Good screenshot idea, though. I think it's funny if you imagine Grant is farting at the dinosaur.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... minty!
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Yes vote. Nothing technically wrong with this game, as long as it's okay that it's a pirate game.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3596)
Is a pirate game ok? The Vault description I wrote says no hacks, but unlicensed are eligible. Though what I really meant is that unlicensed games MIGHT be eligible. I can't find much information about this game. Should it really be considered a hack? Seems like a badly done game either way.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
What's the difference between a hack and a unlicenced game today ?
Calling something a "hack" implies that the developers took another game's programming and used it to make their game. Unlicensed games, for all that can be said about their quality, are usually built from the ground up with engines the developers programmed themselves, even if just to mimic another game. To use an example already on the site, Squirrel King for the Genesis is an unlicensed knock-off of Capcom's Rescue Rangers games, but it is not a hack; the games they are copying were only ever released for the NES, so the developers programmed their own version of the engine from scratch. The infamous Genesis Super Mario World, on the other hand, qualifies as a hack; it is an edit of Squirrel King which replaces the knockoff Chip and Dale with the Mario Brothers and the first stage with World 1-1. This Jurassic Park game, crappy as it is, looks to have been made from scratch, not based off of any other game, and is therefore not a hack. The movie itself seems to be technically sound; the TAS player executes a shortcut flawlessly and is able to grab all of the eggs using what looks like the shortest path. Therefore, I say "Yes" to publishing this run in the Vault.
- The Green Herring
Acually it seems to be the jurasic parc 1 graphic motor with some palett swap... My point In that question is : should we consider unlicenced games as hacks (like we could with rainbow street fighters) or should de give them a full game status (as squirel kings) Some hacks looks much more "professional" and are much more polished than most of our currently published unlicenced games (super demo world comes as an exemple or the nes supermario metroid crossover...) Also should de conssider fan made games as un official games or as hacks ?