Submission Text Full Submission Page

Game objectives

• Emulator used: Mupen64 0.5 Re-Recording v8
  • Avoids BLJing
  • Aims for fastest time without game breaking glitch

Comments

We used Hyper speed wall kick (HSWK) to through doors and endless stairs. I did Lakitu Skip, all HSWKs and BitS. Gsus did BitDW and BitS. Snark did Board Bowser's Sub and BitFS. sonicpacker did ending of BitFS. It helped me a lot. Huge thanks to them!

Special Thanks

Moltov and Mario64Masters: Their BLJless entry helped me.
Enjoy our run ^^

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4139)
I... don't really see why this category should be published, really. Sure, it doesn't use BLJ, but it still uses another trick which similarly allows unreachable speeds to glitch through doors. In effect, it has the same results, only slower, and getting one star rather than zero. (That said, I have not watched the TAS yet and not voted yet)
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Skilled player (1431)
Aims for fastest time without game breaking glitch
If high speed walljump allows you to finish the game with 1 star, would you not agree that it is game breaking? Anyway, I'm not able to watch this now but I bet it's a very good run. Can't imagine I'll vote yes though.
Agare Bagare Kopparslagare
Patryk1023
He/Him
Ummm... how many Mario 64 submissions in a day there must be? IT'S 2ND IN A ROW! Let me go forward and ask for encode.
<Nach> scrimpy is fretty with her sunglasses on I'm here. never visible.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... want more!
Experienced player (576)
TASVideos Grue wrote:
om, nom, nom... want more!
Don't we all =) I think it's an interesting concept, but not allowing BLJs and having HSWK's doesn't seem like the greatest overall goal since it basically still has a similar game breaking glitch (just forwards speed instead of backwards). I'd rather see a revised CCCless run (unlikely that's happening) or something.
snorlax
He/Him
Is this on youtube? I'd love to see it.
Editor, Skilled player (1939)
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
0 stars is impossible…?
Experienced player (576)
ALAKTORN wrote:
0 stars is impossible…?
I remember when we were messing around with hswk in the basement that when you got enough speed to get past the wall above the 30 star door that mario would hit the ceiling or something which is why they dived after getting through the wall in this.
Here it's the link to youtube: Link to video I am not sure that this run would be accepted. But the run was entertaining for me :)
hypothetically, if we would be excessively strict on the speed rules, this should outrun the 70-stars route since they are both in the same category"BLJless" but seriously, along with the majora's mask run from mr.grunz, the 70 stars route is the best tas I saw by far, so it would be totally nonsense that this run obsolete the other(that is still in the submission currently). I also don't think this should create a new category(BLJless 1 star and BLJless 70 stars) so I'll go with a no on this one, in some places it's not even completely optimize but great job though on the find to skip everything without BLJ.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4139)
I have to say, after watching it, that it's a really nice TAS. The HSWK parts are actually quite entertaining, and the BLJ-less Bowser stages are also quite nice to watch. Still not sure if it would've been sufficient to publish as its own category, next to the other SM64 runs, but it's a nice entertaining SM64 TAS on its own.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
AndreLucLevesque wrote:
hypothetically, if we would be excessively strict on the speed rules, this should outrun the 70-stars route since they are both in the same category"BLJless"
To be excessively pedantic, the category on this is "any% BLJless", while the category on the other one is "70 star BLJless". Different categories, ergo one can't obsolete the other.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
I enjoyed Mario's beatboxing skills before boarding Bowser's sub.
I like stuff...
Senior Moderator
The in-stage parts were entertaining, maybe a little bit more so than in the 0-star run, but most of the time seemed identical to the usual route. However, the castle navigation was annoying at best. I think you need an epilepsy warning on this run. And it's most definitely a game-breaking glitch that just happens to be slower and harder to set up than another game-breaking glitch.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Player (79)
I like this run a lot more than I ought to. It gives us an idea of what a Mario 64 TAS would look like if backwards long jumping had never been programmed or discovered. Could a Mario 64 runner please explain why Mario's speed appears to go up incrementally (and not continuously) with the HSWK?
Senior Moderator
I'd think it's tracked with a floating point value but the engine only uses the integer part for actual movement.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Editor, Expert player (2313)
the 70 stars route is the best tas I saw by far, so it would be totally nonsense that this run obsolete the other.
But that's exactly what happened to Super Mario Land 2... A 2 minute run obsoleting a fantastic fullgame run. What I think about the BLJ less 70 star run? It's not very entertaining to me, I rather enjoy watching the unassisted WR. I like to see the use of BLJs in SM64 TASes, else it's just like an improved unassisted run in my eyes - and thus unimpressive.
Editor, Active player (429)
Bobo the King wrote:
Could a Mario 64 runner please explain why Mario's speed appears to go up incrementally (and not continuously) with the HSWK?
It actually does go up continuously.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Voting YES for Gruefood Delight.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Voting yes for deleting that YT video and preventing countless others from being motion sick. Ugh... *hurls* Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
Kyman wrote:
Bobo the King wrote:
Could a Mario 64 runner please explain why Mario's speed appears to go up incrementally (and not continuously) with the HSWK?
Weird. It looked like discrete jumps in speed to me as well.
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin wrote:
Voting yes for deleting that YT video and preventing countless others from being motion sick. Ugh... *hurls*
Does the Grue ever puke up videos he's watched after he's eaten them? =P
Active player (420)
John11 wrote:
Kyman wrote:
Bobo the King wrote:
Weird. It looked like discrete jumps in speed to me as well.
Mario's speed, as in the actual value, does increase continuously every frame. However, the small increase does not mean you save a frame reaching the adjacent wall. You need to reach a certain speed before that happens. So even though the speed is creeping upward every single frame, the time it takes to get to the other wall may be the same amount of frames multiple times in a row. i.e., the first 20 wall kicks it would take 10 frames to reach the opposite wall, then on the 21st wall kick it would take 9 frames to get back to that same area. In short, it appears that Mario isn't speeding up very much because it's taking the same amount of frames to reach the adjacent wall even after multiple wall kicks.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
I think this deserves a mention in one of the SM64 publications, because it's (objectively) different from what we have, and (subjectively) quite funny. I would say to mention it in the 0-star, saying something like, "most of the skips that BLJing permits to create a 0-star run can also be done with hyper-speed wall kicking; here is a run which does so."
Previous Name: boct1584