Hardcore mini-golf action!
  • Genre: sports
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Testing BizHawk-1.9.1 (WORKS GREAT!)
  • ACE!!!
Note: The ROM name has a typo, but that was the name of the ROM I used, so it should not be corrected.

Before the game begins

I could change the balls red, but that would cost one frame, so I keep white balls.
I could stop sounds, but there is music only in the intro anyway, so I let it be. This is a very silent TAS, maybe one of the most silent TASes ever. Since the game is so silent, I recommend this song on the background while you watch the run: MASTER JUN PUPPETS!
The ball has velocity and angle. There are 64 different angles and 15 different velocities. That gives only 64 x 15 = 960 possibilities for each shot. Oh, but for the first shot, there are 3 starting positions that can be chosen from, so the first shot has 3 x 960 = 2880 possibilities. Still, should be easy to make perfect, if you have the patience or bottience to test all shots. Most of the courses can be done with one shot, anyway. This TAS uses manual flame advance fingering and some hominid neural networks.

Anomalous shot power

Funnily, the possible values for the power of the shot are supposed to be 32, 64, 96, 128, 160, 192, 224 and 255. But when you slide back from the max value, 32 is subtracted each step, so you get additional "secret" power values: 223, 191, 159, 127, 95, 63 and 31. The difference compared to the normal values is so small that this would easily go unnoticed without RAM watch.
A HOLEHOW MANY SHOTS COMEBALL DISAPPEARS AT FRAMECUMMENTS
I1962
Scary clown boss!

Shot comes into the hole. ACE'D!
II11779This ominous structure has two holes, so it is like double penetration. Shot comes into the lower hole.

ACE'D AGAIN, TWICE IN A SINGLE TAS! WHADDYA SAY NOW, MUGGERJUN?
III12513
Ball comes into the teleporting hole and comes again into the final hole. ACE'D!
IV23537Double shot comes into the hole. Also very wet. The screenshot says it all, a wet stroke.
V14293
Balls come into this hole often like ducks.

And a green rabbit. This here movie shows again a one particular instance of a such a ball coming into a hole. BOOM! Shot comes into the hole!
VI25421Very hard now! Double penetration again with two holes made specifically for balls.
VII26746
There is just barely eunuch time to come into the whale mouth before it is munching.
I'm like woah, this is a close call, just like Jaws.

This could be ACE'D with one stroke, but it is slothier, because coming there firsthandedly would require bouncy hits that can't come in his mouth in time, so waiting for the next opening would make the whole cinematic superplay experience even slothier. This only looks yglu, but accually good.
VIII17385
The developers ran out of ideas, so this course has the identical shot coming that comes into the same a hole as Hole I. Maybe the clown mouth is faster or something, but no, it is all the same. Essentially a boss re-fight, scary clown boss with teeth bigger than the player character!
IX1N/AThis is another boss re-fight, two-holed ominous structure that makes noise, infinitely reminiscent of Hole II. I end input eerily as always, so the ball comes a bit slower than in the otherwise identical shotcome in Hole II.
TOTAL12N/AThere is no ending credits, nothing at all, so all you get is the score board. ACE!

feos: Publishing to Moons.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4497: Aqfaq's Lynx Krazy Ace Miniature Golf in 02:09.79
ars4326
He/Him
Experienced player (764)
I love the work you put into the submission, Aqfaq. I can't wait to see an encode! This is the second golf game TASed in a short period. Reminds me playing PSX Hot Shots Golf, back in the day.
"But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." - 1 Corinthians 2:9
Active player (471)
Goolf skill, it is good,vote yes. Lynx is an animal of great honor
RADAR
Editor
I actually did the Lynx testing for Movie Recording and playback on this game. So I know it syncs.
When TAS does Quake 1, SDA will declare war. The Prince doth arrive he doth please.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3596)
Yay, another Lynx TAS! Was I entertained? More than I expected to be. Not as much as I was at the idea of an Aqfaq Lynx TAS. I don't know what to vote, but I'm glad you made this, thank you.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Patashu
He/Him
Dude, hole 7 is -such- a cocktease.
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
nice stroking technique you got there...
I liked this run because Metallica is part of my soul. When I grow up, I want to be like you, Aqfaq.
AzumaK wrote: I swear my 1 year old daughter's favorite TASVideo is your R4MI run :3 xxNKxx wrote: ok thanks handsome feos :D Help improving TASVideos!
Editor, Expert player (2460)
Zeupar wrote:
When I grow up, I want to be like you, Aqfaq.
I have dwarfism.
WST
She/Her
Active player (442)
How to give a yes vote to a post above? =P
S3&A [Amy amy%] improvement (with Evil_3D & kaan55) — currently in SPZ2 my TAS channel · If I ever come into your dream, I’ll be riding an eggship :)
But does this really aim for fastest time? Couldn't you have 2-shot hole 7 faster. Looks like it trades of time for entertainment.
Thanks for the question, thommy3. The whale takes about 10 seconds to open its mouth, so I needed to get a quick shot there before the mouth was closed. Adjusting the angle and power is slow, so there's no time to do it better. The priority is to get into the mouth on the first cycle and not wait 10 seconds for the mouth to open again. Also, the game must be one of the crudest ball games ever, having only 960 possibilities for each shot, so there's very little room for minor adjustments. That's why the first shot looks bad at hole 7.
Banned User, Former player
Aqfaq wrote:
Thanks for the question, thommy3. The whale takes about 10 seconds to open its mouth, so I needed to get a quick shot there before the mouth was closed. Adjusting the angle and power is slow, so there's no time to do it better. The priority is to get into the mouth on the first cycle and not wait 10 seconds for the mouth to open again. Also, the game must be one of the crudest ball games ever, having only 960 possibilities for each shot, so there's very little room for minor adjustments. That's why the first shot looks bad at hole 7.
The ball bounces a lot at the end of the first stroke. It looks like you tried your hardest to get a hole in one, and left your best effort in. However, in terms of completion time, perhaps a significantly less accurate but faster stroke (one that doesn't end up bouncing around so much, but just stops as soon as possible after the whale) would have worked just as well? Of course this is just based on what it looks like. I don't know if it's possible in actuality.
Warp wrote:
It looks like you tried your hardest to get a hole in one
Nope. It is purely a coincidence that the ball almost goes into the hole. This just happened to be the best shot that got into the whale mouth on the first cycle.
Skilled player (1706)
No. This makes the Kirby Dream Course TAS look a lot more fun, and that's 30x longer than this. Sorry.
Masterjun
He/Him
Site Developer, Skilled player (1970)
Submission text wrote:
ACE'D AGAIN, TWICE IN A SINGLE TAS! WHADDYA SAY NOW, MUGGERJUN?
ACE IS SO BORING AFTER TOO MANY TIMES. see u always sea a bitt of gameplaiy and then sudednly it ends SO BAD UGGHH this isnt evn ace wat I really like the submission text!
Warning: Might glitch to credits I will finish this ACE soon as possible (or will I?)
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2730] Lynx Krazy Ace Miniature Golf by Aqfaq in 02:09.79
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
Moons?
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
No.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4139)
NitroGenesis wrote:
Moons?
Not anymore.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Hey look, my intuition tricked me again? Yay!
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
MESHUGGAH
Other
Skilled player (1889)
This TAS might be improvable. There is a 5 frame possible improvement right before the ducks at @ 1:00 in the encode. However the ducks gets desync on the next stage. Requires debugger/trace logger to verify, does the 5 frame improvement can be carried on.
PhD in TASing 🎓 speedrun enthusiast ❤🚷🔥 white hat hacker ▓ black box tester ░ censorships and rules...