Another Prince of Persia version! This version was developed and published by Riverhillsoft in 1992.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: Bizhawk 1.11.9
  • Aims for in-game time instead of real time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Abuses programing errors in the game
  • Sega CD BIOS: us_scd1_9210.bin

Why choose Sega CD version?

• Well, the gameplay's mechanics is the same of PC (DOS) version, which this version, includes several bugs that also works on Sega CD version. Also, this Sega CD version includes:
  • A more detailed intro, with cutscenes and voices.
  • In-game timer (as well as SNES version).
  • A speed adjustment option on gameplay and on battles (Normally, speed gameplay is 3 while speed battle is 4.)
  • A new Jaffar battle is included on that path where it should be that Princess's room.

Stage-by-Stage comments

General note: Almost all of the tricks/glitches used in this game requires a certain (and careful) position, in order to work these tricks/glitches.
  • Level 1 - No comments.
  • Level 2 - Thanks of a good pattern optimization of the fourth guard and a good pixel position, I did a extra jump to save time without wasting time to avoid the spike trap.
  • Level 3 - Getting hit on a skeleton saves a little time.
  • Level 4 - It's possible to force the guard to open the gate without needing to take the normal route, saving much time.
  • Level 5 - I attract the guard in order to abuse of a glitch to bypass a closed gate without to take a normal route, saving a lot of time.
  • Level 6 - Shortest level of this game! And skipping the boss.
  • Level 7 - A glitch is abused falling in a wall to skip some of this stage.
  • Level 8 - This level is much longer and much harder!
  • Level 9 - Longest level of this TAS. Since no have a escape on the room before the closed gate that leaves to the exit switch (and this exit button isn't next the gate), it's necessary to open the gate. I strike the first and last guard to avoid slowdown on the next rooms, respectively.
  • Level 10 - I kill the first and the third guard, in order to continue the stage and perform 2 glitches, respectively. The first glitch is grabbing on a ledge at the botton edge of the screen at the exact time when enter it. Using the glitch, I skip some parts and saving much time. This glitch works because the game assumes that you grabbed the ledge from the screen below and moves you up instead of down.

The second glitch is bypassing a closed gate, which requires a falling floor and is necessary to kill the gurard. Oherwise, it fails.

After the second glitch, I did a trick during the exit room to avoid the bounce amimation, saving time.
  • Level 11 - No comments.
  • Level 12 - Climbing down and back up again puts you a pixel further to the left, which is enough to let you safely knock the tile down, skipping some part of this stage.

That glitch used after the first guard on Level 10 is used again to reach directly on the Prince's Reflection path! But, the reflection don't appear with a sword on this room (normally this sword disappear when reaches this path). So, I pick the sword, go to the next room and return to previous room, in order to appear the reflection. But, in this version, he's don't apeear correctly (due of this glitch). So, hitting him makes to appear correctly.
NOTE: On PC (DOS) version, the reflection, even with glitch, appear normally.
Reaching on the Boss (In this version, isn't Jaffar), I forced the Boss to go must next of the pit and striked to kill in one hit! After this, I reach the exit (this is the only door that it's possible to go to the stairs before opens fully).
Reaching on the final path, time for a final battle with Jaffar! Yes, this version has a final battle before reaches the princess.
Input ends before Prince did a final hit on Jaffar.

In-game timers

Special thanks

SprintGod, for the DOS's run, which helped me a lot. And includes several glitches that I used on my run.

feos: Accepting to Moons. This isn't obsoleting the Genesis version, despite of the latter being in Vault, because these games are actually not for the same platform, and for a cross-platform obsoletion, these are 2 different ports with different contents. This game features a different speed modes, and there is a faster one, but the one used here is default, and it's also the most true to the original, which is important for a Moons run.
fsvgm777: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5358: Challenger's SegaCD Prince of Persia in 19:09.80
I would like to watch this for real. anyone have a temp encode? I'm guessing cutscenes account for most of this time?
Editor, Expert player (2001)
zaphod77 wrote:
I'm guessing cutscenes account for most of this time?
Nope. This run was done on default speed.
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1637)
My internet from my computer hasn't been working since Saturday and that's why I couldn't do a temporary encode of my run. Sorry for this. And I finished this run almost 2 hours ago before this internet problem. So, I was able only to sent this run (.bk2 movie file) and this submission.
My homepage --Currently not much motived for TASing as before...-- But I'm still working.
the entire point of this version is to use speed 1 and ZOOOOOOM!
Site Admin, Skilled player (1235)
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Player (26)
Wow, those bloody scenes in the extro are a serious clash with the style of the rest of the game! :P Anyway, good run so voting yes.
So I compared with the Genesis version a bit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=9b2_93RQWjI#t=862 Also, should this probably obsolete the Genesis version? The latter has no music, same level design, and its run has less glitches.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1637)
Thanks for the encode, feos. Yet my internet of my computer can't work since 7 days ago and I can't upload my temporary encodes.
feos wrote:
Also, should this probably obsolete the Genesis version? The latter has no music, same level design, and its run has less glitches.
The Gameplay's mechanics of Genesis version works very different than DOS/Sega CD version: * None of these glitches that I used on Sega CD version works on Genesis version. * You can't crouch while walking (or running). * Due of very slower gameplay, you can't bypass several guards (Such as guards of Level 2).
My homepage --Currently not much motived for TASing as before...-- But I'm still working.
Player (26)
feos wrote:
Also, should this probably obsolete the Genesis version? The latter has no music, same level design, and its run has less glitches.
I'd say no. They're different ports, with different graphics and sound, on different systems, and with different glitches. The level design of all POP ports I've seen is based on the Apple-II original, usually with a few extras. For instance, the Genesis version adds four extra levels, whereas this Sega CD version adds an extra fight with Zombie Jafar. Personally I enjoy seeing ports like these (or e.g. Bubble Bobble) side-by-side.
Challenger wrote:
Thanks for the encode, feos. Yet my internet of my computer can't work since 7 days ago and I can't upload my temporary encodes.
feos wrote:
The Gameplay's mechanics of Genesis version works very different than DOS/Sega CD version: * None of these glitches that I used on Sega CD version works on Genesis version. * You can't crouch while walking (or running). * Due of very slower gameplay, you can't bypass several guards (Such as guards of Level 2).
So have you seen what he did at the end of level 10 in the genesis run? Instead of damage boosting through that gate he walks into it backwards while having the sword equipped, skipping the guard fight as well.
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1637)
feos wrote:
So have you seen what he did at the end of level 10 in the genesis run? Instead of damage boosting through that gate he walks into it backwards while having the sword equipped, skipping the guard fight as well.
Well, I tried to reproduce that glitch before, but didn't work on this version.
This version is good because it's very true to the original dos version, which is very true to the original apple ii version. the genesis version is horribly mangled. the nes version is horribly mangled. most any version that say domark or virgin on it is horribly mangled. the snes version is a good extended version, which keeps all the gameplay intact, while adding new features and more levels. but this run will be quickly obsoleted when someone changes the game speed to do it faster. :)
zaphod77 wrote:
but this run will be quickly obsoleted when someone changes the game speed to do it faster. :)
Elaborate.
Editor, Expert player (2001)
zaphod77 wrote:
but this run will be quickly obsoleted when someone changes the game speed to do it faster. :)
If someone were to do a Speed 1 TAS, they should do it on the TG-16 version since the top speed in that one is far faster. I think having this one as a stand-in for what the DOS version would be like is better then ruining its pacing with being real fast.
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
the tg-16 version has interesting glitches of it's own. the most notable being that you can still grab a ledge if you fall too far. this allows for a couple of major shortcuts. speed one seems pretty fast to me when i tried it.
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1637)
zaphod77 wrote:
the tg-16 version has interesting glitches of it's own. the most notable being that you can still grab a ledge if you fall too far. this allows for a couple of major shortcuts.
Wow! Can you shown a video of that trick? It's possible to did on the Start of Level 8?
from the starting square do a blind running jump left. run and jump as soon as you are able to, one tile from the edge. you will grab the ledge on the next screen down and not die. that said, 2 tile running jump does not work at all on tg-16 version. which i why i recommended sega cd one, where it works fine. the other well known tg-16 grab is when you fight the skeleton for the first time simply back off the left edge and hold II.
zaphod77 wrote:
the genesis version is horribly mangled.
So why won't we obsolete it? It's in Vault, people barely care. All its run has to offer against this one is different graphics and one different glitch used once. All the rest is weaker. Challenger, so have you tried other speeds? My take is that the original one is better due to feeling authentic, but what impression do other speeds give?
Player (26)
feos wrote:
zaphod77 wrote:
So why won't we obsolete it? It's in Vault, people barely care.
Because the Genesis version is a different port on a different platform, with different graphics, different musics, different glitches and four additional levels (and without the additional level present in the SegaCD version). It's simply not the same game; you might as well ask why NES Donkey Kong doesn't obsolete Atari Donkey Kong.
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1637)
feos wrote:
Challenger, so have you tried other speeds? My take is that the original one is better due to feeling authentic, but what impression do other speeds give?
Well, increasing the speed to 1 (fastest), looks nearly like the Superfast Super Mario Bros (NES Hack). But I prefer using original speed on games (expect for text messages).
In this particular case bumping up the speed showcases more skill. ue to the low framerate without speed boost, most tricks are easily performed RTA. Speed 1 follows the "play at hardest level" guideline. also no different frames are skipped to do this speed increase
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [3317] SegaCD Prince of Persia by Challenger in 19:09.80
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1637)
Radiant wrote:
feos wrote:
zaphod77 wrote:
So why won't we obsolete it? It's in Vault, people barely care.
Because the Genesis version is a different port on a different platform, with different graphics, different musics, different glitches and four additional levels (and without the additional level present in the SegaCD version). It's simply not the same game; you might as well ask why NES Donkey Kong doesn't obsolete Atari Donkey Kong.
ONLY European version of Genesis version has 4 extra levels + Music on stages! And was published by Domark while the US version was published by Tengen.