Submission Text Full Submission Page
- fceu with blip patch (fceu-0.98.12-blip.win)
- as fast as possible
- tries to avoid enemies instead of killing
- gets as little food as possible to make the score count faster at end of level

For those who doesnt know, this is the japanese version of Adventure Island
There is a high demand by fans of this game to see a run to the end, so i'm submitting my fastest route which is less food as possible and holding B button as much as possible (that means avoid enemies instead of killing them)

Why japanese rom? no reason, that is the actuall cartridge i have and the only visible diference to the american version is the title screen (and game name obviously). and on the japanese rom theres a saying in japanese under the english text of the ending screen. other than that, pretty much the same.

This is a run made from a fan to other fans. It wont be impressive for people who havent tried playing it seriously. But for people who know the game well, its quite an amusing watch. Please have that in mind when voting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #576: nesrocks's NES Takahashi Meijin no Boukenjima in 37:01.63
This is one of my favourite games, and this is an excellent run. I've beaten the game on a real console (using many continues!) so there were no surprises for me. One question: other than the title screen, I didn't notice any real differences between the jap and English versions. Are there any real differences? And if not, why use the jap version instead of the English one? [EDIT] I see you answered my questions already in your description. Sorry!
Ambassador, Experienced player (696)
Ah, a stylish and speedy run through a classic game. Well, like foda says, there are very few people who have actually played this game through. I'll admit that I actually played this game enough to finish it on the console. So I can appreciate finishing each level with an almost empty food meter. Rolling through at full speed on the skateboard is also impressive considering how many enemies and pits there are. This game is very difficult, but mostly because you forfeit your weapon on dying. It's not a big deal in earlier levels, as you can usually get it back quickly and enemies are less numerous, but in later levels enemies come in hordes and you won't get your weapon back until you face the next boss. Foda's low kill rate shows that it's still possible to get through, but it's definitely not easy. The toughest part of this game is the end of 8-3, when you have to jump from falling platform to falling platform with no safe ground, while bats fly at you. Very tough, particularly if you don't have a weapon. Of course this run rolls through that section with the same ease as the first level. There do seem to be a few minor flaws here and there. Early on it looks like there were some flowers you could have picked up. You also miss the first couple eggplants. In 6-2 it looks like you definitely could have finished a little hungrier. On one of the later white cliff levels it looks like you slowed down quite a bit to avoid enemies. This game also has hidden bonus levels which can be entered and exited, dropping you further into the level. Unfortunately, entering takes time to wait for a platform to carry you into the sky. It's also not usually possible to enter a bonus level with the skateboard since you either need to open a hidden egg with a key or stand in place for a time. (a neat trick is involved to open the fireball upgrade egg while skateboarding) I know foda has tested the first few levels, but some later worlds don't give the skateboard until later and there might be a bonus level before. World 7 I think? Well, overall this is very well planned and executed. I think foda has done about the best he can making the most entertaining run possible through this tough classic.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
thanx for your comments i shall give explanations about your concerns: To take those flowers i'd need to get the fruit they were standing in, unless i shot the egg, but that would mean releasing B button for 2 frames, so it was slightly faster (very slight) to not take the flower. I missed the first eggplant (on 1-3) and that was the only one. Thats because when i had the idea of picking eggplants i was already very far from the early levels, so i didnt redo it (i thought of doing so, but people wanted to see the game finished, and its not like eggplants make it a faster run, they just add score and style). compared to 6-1 where i got only 20 points at the end of level (the minimum) level 6-2 seems lazy, but taking the milk bottle was the only way i could get the eggplant to the end of the level. i could've got to the milk a bit hungrier by avoiding earlier fruits but the milk would nearly fill the entire gauge again, so i took everything including the eggplant. The scorecount at the end is really really fast, its at most times not worthy to slow down at the level just to avoid fruits (unless the only thing required to avoid them is to shoot an enemy for example). On the later cliff level (8-1) i wasnt avoiding enemies, i was taking the fruits. that was due to eggplant, if i had no eggplant i woulndt need to do that, it was a choice i made for style, but maybe wasnt very succesfull, but then again if i didnt take those eggplants on that level people would complain. if i recall correctly, if i didnt take those fruits i was dying just a few pixels away from goal sign from hungerness, which was very sad. so i had to slowdown, take the fruits and finish the level with eggplant on screen. bonus levels makes it way slower because it has to wait for the plataform to appear and then wait it go up slowly, and even on the bonus screen it has to go up a bit more. About the neat trick, that was most unintentional, and i think that if i didnt diwscover it there i would have to finish the game without fireballs at all. that was about the only place the trick could be done and i'm glad it was on such an early level as 1-4 :)
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
Another issue is about forward and backwards moving plataforms. there were various paces where i could stand on forward moving plataforms longer but that would require getting fruit. i havent tested on any case which was faster, so i just assumed it would be faster to not grab fruit (and it seems like the clear choice, i dont like to confuse viewers), instead of grabbing fruits just to get a forward movement. so if anyone wants to improve it (this run is improveable by optimization only?) here is some ground to work on.
Former player
Impressive run, I remember this game driving me crazy when I was a kid. I've seen a savestate take me to the ending, but I've never once seen it finished all the way through. Great job. I saw the witch doctor and this is what he said, he said "Ooh-ee-ooh-ah-ah, ting-tang-walla-walla-bing-bang, Ooh-ee-ooh-ah-ah," and then he shrunk my head.
I hate to break this to you man, but you used a bad rom to make this. I tested using a good rom and it desynched on my on 6-4
kaddidlehopper!
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
well, i used the rom from my good renamed full nes rom pack, so, i dont know what to say.
well, the hash matched one of the bad dumps ni my ROM set ;/ which version of goodnes did you use?? (2.01)
kaddidlehopper!
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
Damn.. you're right... i just tested it and i used a bad dump... Takahashi Meijin no Boukenjima (J) [b2].nes matches it. It desyncs on 6-4 indeed when watching on the good rom.. :(
Former player
*saw the movie until the stage 4, using the (J)[b2] version* some questions.. y do u apparently do some useless shots?! like 2 in the stage 2, 1 in the stage 3 and 3 in the stage 4? the name of the game is Takahashi Meijin no Boukenjima also Takahashi Meijin no Bouken Shima? i've looked for google, and it found 1010 matches when i search for "Takahashi Meijin no Bouken Shima" and 967 matches when searching for "Takahashi Meijin no Boukenjima".. @_@ well.. anyways.. gj until here.. ill continue watching tomorrow.. now im going to sleep -_-
<small>My big signature was cleared by admin; i should read <a href="http://tasvideos.org/ForumRules.html">forum rules</a>. But... who does?</small>
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
in order to do small jump you need to not be pressing B. in order to run you need to press B. the rest is easy to figure :) the probem with this submission is that it doesnt work with the good dump but i won't have time to remake from 6-4 and it would be a lot of work for it to look the same in the end and i don't know if it'd be pusblished so i'll leave it to the judges
Former player
ask them.. well.. whats the problem to be a bad dump?! u.u~~ fans of this game, like me, would like to see this published even if it was done in a bad dump ô.o
<small>My big signature was cleared by admin; i should read <a href="http://tasvideos.org/ForumRules.html">forum rules</a>. But... who does?</small>
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
Fixed the rom name on the submission data. now it's up to the judges.
Player (84)
I liked it. I have never seen the game beaten, and i must say, if you beat the game on the console, with all that work, you get a pretty crappy ending :P. Also, that island has to be some huge!. I couldn't see any mistakes. Voting yes.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3596)
voting no due to breaking a clear & non-subjective rule: Use the right rom. It is a good rule, why should someone have to download a bad dump just watch your movie? It also makes comparing two runs more difficult. The good news is that your movie works up to 6-3 (though I know how difficult the remaining levels are). What I saw looked good, I hope you redo this with the right rom.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
When i did the run, i wasn't aware that i was using a bad dump. If i ever get to this game again, i'd do from the beggining, using the memory watcher.
Active player (277)
What memory would you watch?
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
Bag of Magic Food wrote:
What memory would you watch?
The character's speed address, which doesn't have a clear maximum value. Sometimes it stays at 80, sometimes at 81, sometimes at 82... I believe that's highly manipulatable to use always the maximum value.
adelikat
He/Him
sounds good, get to it! :)
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
adelikat wrote:
sounds good, get to it! :)
i'm kinda busy with some 120 stars thing ;)
adelikat
He/Him
meh, like that's hard or something ;P
AnS
Emulator Coder, Experienced player (723)
Good old game, well-made run. But it could be much faster if you find a way to avoid lags in places with many objects on screen. Here I fixed your file with hexeditor. http://shedevr.org.ru/temp/takahashi-fixed.rar It took only 10 minutes and 2 bytes to modify. Also I cut some useless bytes at the end of file, and now movie is 1 second less. :) Interesting fact - fixed movie works perefctly with good and bad rom.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
AnS wrote:
Good old game, well-made run. But it could be much faster if you find a way to avoid lags in places with many objects on screen. Here I fixed your file with hexeditor. http://shedevr.org.ru/temp/takahashi-fixed.rar It took only 10 minutes and 2 bytes to modify. Also I cut some useless bytes at the end of file, and now movie is 1 second less. :) Interesting fact - fixed movie works perefctly with good and bad rom.
wow..... i am speechless. thanks! I fail to understand how could the movie stay in sync with both roms!? what did you do? did you just remove a frame? or did you edit the header? O_O I haven't detected any lag in this game. Instead of lagging, it handles too many sprites on the screen with flickering. So it doesn't affect time. The 1 second at the end, you're totally right, i don't know how i let that happen. Following adelikat's suggestion I'm gonna resubmit this just to clean everything up. Again, thanks a lot.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, stale!