Submission Text Full Submission Page
George Foreman's KO Boxing is a rather boring boxing game released in Europe for the Sega Master System. The game is known for being very easy to beat, simply by stun locking every opponent in the corner. The current run is a significant improvement over the existing publication due to much better strategy and optimization, as well as playing in PAL mode.

Improvements:

- As noted below, PAL is significantly faster then NTSC in this case so PAL mode is used.
- You have some influence on the count after each knockdown, so I minimized it as much as possible.
- By varying your punches, you can extend your combos to the point where almost all the opponent's health is gone in the first knockdown. Using this, I was able to get knockdowns 2 and 3 on the last 3 opponents with a single super punch. I wasn't able to do this on the first opponent. Eventually I ended up with every punch variety knocking him down, I think the punches are just too weak at this point.

Developement of this game.

This game has a notably complex development history. As noted at Sega retro: https://segaretro.org/Heavyweight_Champ_(8-bit) the game was originally released as "Heavyweight Champ" in several regions. It was released as "James 'Buster' Douglas Knockout Boxing" in the US, then also released as "George Foreman's KO Boxing" in Europe and Brazil. The graphics in the original and 'Buster' releases are bland compared to the Foreman version, so going with this one definitely seems like the right choice.

NTSC vs PAL

This game is able to detect which region console it is playing on. It then uses this information to vary how much it does in a frame. As a result, PAL mode is significantly faster then NTSC. The game was also released in Brazil, so 60Hz would technically be allowable, but in this case it is detrimental to use it.
Unfortunately, they made a mistake. It turns out the PAL is actually TOO fast. It inadvertantly misses a trigger to disable audio (by one frame) during loading transitions. This creates very irritiating audio buzzing in some cases. I found this to be so annoying that I considered playing in NTSC just to avoid it, but the game is pretty bad anyway so I decided it wasn't worth having what would be a much longer run.
At first I was skeptical that such a significant error would be overlooked and thought there might be an emulator bug, but Kega Fusion and TwoMBit both agree that this behaviour is correct.

Possible improvements

I think if the RNG of this game was better understood some more time could be saved, but not much. If it were possible to get KO's after the second knockdown that would be a big improvment, but I have not been able to so for any opponent.

ThunderAxe31: Judging.
ThunderAxe31: Resuming judging process.
ThunderAxe31: This run is very optimized. From what I can see, it seems that the opponents can be knocked out only with three knockdowns. Accepting as improvement of the published movie.
fsvgm777: Replaced movie file with one that fixes the PAL flag (and to report the proper time in the process).

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5754: Alyosha's SMS George Foreman's KO Boxing in 05:00.66
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1641)
Wow, you worked very fast on this game. Really nice work! Temp encode: Link to video 9 left. Also, if you decide to choose another dega run to improve, what will the next?
My homepage --Currently not much motived for TASing as before...-- But I'm still working.
Alyosha
He/Him
Editor, Expert player (3538)
Thanks for the temp encode challenger. (My net sucks right now and it takes forever to upload stuff, so it's appreciated.) I think next I wil ltry to tackle Tails' Sky Patrol. I'm feeling pretty motivated at the moment so hopefully I can make some progress.
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1641)
Alyosha wrote:
Thanks for the temp encode challenger. (My net sucks right now and it takes forever to upload stuff, so it's appreciated.) I think next I wil ltry to tackle Tails' Sky Patrol. I'm feeling pretty motivated at the moment so hopefully I can make some progress.
Thanks! SMS / GG console is one of my favorites on TASVideos And because since I have free time for a while (and now I learned how to encode better), I can upload stuff. Well, good luck on Tails' Sky Patrol.
My homepage --Currently not much motived for TASing as before...-- But I'm still working.
Experienced player (962)
Excellent fast boxing. I go to search tomorrow how to manipulate RNG and if I find things, I'll gave you a link to check it and maybe you'll make a new run. I voting yes.
GAW sms... Totally destroyed
Experienced player (962)
In reality, you have practically destroyed the RNG of this game, I have practically finish the lua script to watch all informations at screen, I work just on some details for maybe have an last information at screen and beat the game more faster than your great run. I'll give you that when it's finish and hope you'll remake this.
Judge, Skilled player (1290)
@zoboner: When are you going to finish the lua script? If you're going to need much time, then could you please upload to userfiles an improvement of the first fight?
my personal page - my YouTube channel - my GitHub - my Discord: thunderaxe31 <Masterjun> if you look at the "NES" in a weird angle, it actually clearly says "GBA"
Experienced player (962)
ThunderAxe31 wrote:
@zoboner: When are you going to finish the lua script? If you're going to need much time, then could you please upload to userfiles an improvement of the first fight?
I come just to finish it... Sorry, I don't know if that optimisation represent a big gain, because I don't view it in wip section! I do an explanation text to know how to use the lua and I post it in wip section in some minutes. It's ok, I posted it (wip), good luck to your next fight!
Alyosha
He/Him
Editor, Expert player (3538)
@zoboner thanks for the LUA work . I see this is accepted now and I probably won’t be trying to improve it right away, but I would encourage you to try yourself. Since you seemed to work out RNG pretty easily I’m sure you’ll find improving this pretty easy. EDIT: Actually, nevermind, I found a better manipulation on the first opponenet, so I'll just cancel this one and submit a clean, improved version when it's ready.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech!
Experienced player (962)
Alyosha wrote:
@zoboner thanks for the LUA work . I see this is accepted now and I probably won’t be trying to improve it right away, but I would encourage you to try yourself. Since you seemed to work out RNG pretty easily I’m sure you’ll find improving this pretty easy. EDIT: Actually, nevermind, I found a better manipulation on the first opponenet, so I'll just cancel this one and submit a clean, improved version when it's ready.
Thanks, but it's not my game genre and not my choice. I'm interested to watch and if I worked to understand the rng it's just to studies that, nothing other. Not disapointement, because, I found it's well optimised. I wait your improvement and i'm sure it's great and cool!