Post subject: AGDQ 2019 TAS block feedback, major changes for future GDQ's
Moderator, Senior Ambassador, Experienced player (898)
Edit:The event is over and I've provided my own feedback along with important changes to future GDQ's and I've covered why my personal situation and finances have been so complex. Feedback is welcome. Yep, another event, another thread. This time, I need to tap the considerable resources of TASVideos members because I'm still coming off of the remnants of post-SGDQ 2018 interviews and articles and I'm still in the midst of GDQx 2018 preparations (coming up October 28th). Edit: Castlevania, Super Scribblenauts, and mari0 made it in! The original post is below. Here's what I know: - Submissions for AGDQ 2019 open on August 25th and close September 4th - yes, that's very soon - We can look through things that we submitted that were rejected in previous events that weren't obviously bad ideas and resubmit them (although we picked through the list already for GDQx 2018 submissions) - To that end, we need content suggestions with a special focus on new content - I do not currently plan to focus on ACE payloads where we take over a game and do something interesting using the game engine (i.e. taking a break from content in the style of Lord Tom's amazing SMB3 playaround or Masterjun's SMW engine showoff run). - I *do* plan to focus on ACE payloads that do unique things that haven't been done yet; more on this as things solidify but folks from http://Discord.TASBot.net are working that angle. - Brain Age was amazing. Can we (you?) do something art-like? Someone mentioned Passpartout but we need someone to research things. Anything else? - What TAS runs would really shine with proper commentary? So TASVideos members, what site content do you think should be represented? You know the drill, reply and let's hash it out! P.S. - As in the last few events I'm planning on fully funding my own trip and equipment costs but unlike last year when I had a windfall I'm finding this event to be a bit tight potentially. Donations are welcome at http://Donate.TASBot.net if you're willing and I'll definitely be publicly thanking folks. Thanks!
I was laid off in May 2023 and could use support via Patreon or onetime donations as I work on TASBot Re: and TASBot HD. I'm dwangoAC, part of the senior staff of TASVideos as the Senior Ambassador and BDFL of the TASBot community; I post TAS content on YouTube.com/dwangoAC based on livestreams from Twitch.tv/dwangoAC.
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3968)
I’d suggest anything from this game: [3168] NES Gimmick! by Aglar, Hotarubi & Samsara in 04:24.61[/movie]
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Would it be possible to do Scribblenauts? Yes, it's on the site, but it's still very artsy and nifty.
Skilled player (1150)
TASbot reappear the super mario bro. card-slot-in/out glitch. http://www.acfun.cn/v/ac4477530 TASbot play Duck Dunt. http://www.acfun.cn/v/ac4516561 These movies made by KiriQAQ(游戏咖啡馆)
Skilled player (1650)
mtvf1 wrote:
TASbot reappear the super mario bro. card-slot-in/out glitch. http://www.acfun.cn/v/ac4477530 TASbot play Duck Dunt. http://www.acfun.cn/v/ac4516561 These movies made by KiriQAQ(游戏咖啡馆)
Seconded!
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
What about your TAS of Otocky, dwango?
Previous Name: boct1584
Habreno wrote:
Would it be possible to do Scribblenauts? Yes, it's on the site, but it's still very artsy and nifty.
Very yes, but possibly not in the way you're thinking. I looked at Passpartout and I don't see a good fit there unless there's something I don't know about interacting with the game. Otocky isn't good enough either I don't think. I wish it was, but the unskippable cutscenes and boring boss "fights" make it a no-go. We're looking at doing mari0 / libTAS as one submission and possibly the original Legend of Zelda since that run is "new" and was only poorly shown at a bonus section of AGDQ 2014 the last time it appeared. May not be good enough. We've made good progress on controlling a Switch from Linux. We don't yet have something that's convincing enough or that we're confident enough in to submit, but we're close. We still have 24 hours but I'm a bit concerned there. Not panic mode yet but.. what else should we look at?
I was laid off in May 2023 and could use support via Patreon or onetime donations as I work on TASBot Re: and TASBot HD. I'm dwangoAC, part of the senior staff of TASVideos as the Senior Ambassador and BDFL of the TASBot community; I post TAS content on YouTube.com/dwangoAC based on livestreams from Twitch.tv/dwangoAC.
mtvf1 wrote:
Oh, I never replied to this idea - while this is an interesting suggestion it's not on my list of things I'm comfortable with because we're already being accused of cheating. This involves interfering between the console and the cartridge which is something we say we don't do.
Post subject: Submissions made it in on time (barely), will update later
I'm exhausted. It was a hard push to get everything in on time and we cut it as close as I've ever cut it after all of my margin was exhausted as well. Still, I got the submissions in. I'll edit this later, for now the submission text below is unedited disastrous bad. Good luck making sense of this. Sleep is more important. Edit: Formatted. TASBot Handily Beats GBA/GBC Games TASBot has sent frame-perfect inputs to various consoles via electrical, controller posing means over the years. Well, stop the presses because TASBot is evolving! Funkmastermp built a device that can physically press buttons on an unmodified GBA SP. Viewers will participate in a bid war, choosing a TAS with input tailored to the device's unique mechanical nature that will literally push the hardware to its limits. Please add 5 minutes to setup. TASBot physical% by Funkmastermp in 00:15:00 Twitch Plays Super Scribblenauts Super Scribblenauts for [HAND] [CONSOLE] played by [TWITCHER] [CHAT] using [WORD]s. Twitch chat will vote by spam to decide which words get sent to the game! Can the hivemind cut down trees? Repair a broken car? Cause an extinction? Only the power of Kappa will tell. Example: A barber needs a [TOOL] and Twitch chat can select from only "Axe, Chainsaw, Razor, Scissors"; the highest voted tool will be used to, er, "execute" the haircut (largely nonviolently). Please add 5 minutes to setup. Twitch plays Super Scribblenauts [CHAT] %in 00:15:00 TASBot plays mari0 (SMB1 + Portal gun) A new era dawns with the creation of the Linux-only libTAS framework. TASBot now has a mouse! TASBot starts the libTAS fun with mari0, a game that's the logical conclusion of giving SMB1's Mario a Portal gun. In these TASes by Masterjun and Noahkiq, you'll see TASBot use his portal gun to fling through the original Super Mario Bros levels, fly through testing facilities, zoom through the jump-preventing halls of Gravitas, and demolish the 4-Player Portal-inspired map with three of his friends. mari0 SMB1 levelpack by Masterjun in 00:01:12 mari0 "A Portal Tribute" mappack by Noahkiq in 00:03:35 mari0 "Gravitas" mappack by Noahkiq in 00:03:15 mari0 "4-Player Portal" mappack by Noahkiq in 00:03:15 Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow TAS One of the craziest TASes ever made, the Aria of Sorrow All Souls TAS by Fz-last, klmz and Pike collects all 120 souls... while on hard mode. You'll go batty for the new tech in this run that knocked over 1.5 minutes off the previous attempt. Killing at least one of every enemy in the game and collecting every soul on hard mode is no easy task. Fast paced with ample kicks, rips and clips, this exciting run won awards for both GBA TAS of the year and Lucky TAS of the year. "All souls" by Fz-last, klmz and Pike in 00:17:06 TASBot plays Breath of the Wild Taking a hint (and code) from Twitch Plays Switch, TASBot will take on Breath of the Wild, and we've been holding our breath to make this wild run! TASBot impersonates a Pro Controller using Linux tooling on a Raspberry Pi and USB connectivity hardware. Button presses, joystick movement, and controller orientation are all sent thru this connection. This enables macros and other Tool-Assisted superplay techniques to augment play. This is not a human-skill-only run. Please add 5 minutes to setup. Breath of the Linux% Superplay in 00:40:00
MESHUGGAH
Other
Skilled player (1889)
- TASbot physical% - will be there any gameplay? I mean apart from pressing random buttons, will it draw...? - Scribblenauts x Twitch chat: hell yes! - mari0 1:12? Did Masterjun clipped through the wall and wait for 8-1 warp or he uses the RTA trick (go 32-1, suspend, start 8-4)? I mean it's low time but I've thought it will be lower. - CV ok - I would love to see setting up the OOB macros and then randomly trying between walls. Like trying to get whatever walls we see. Not the most updated but latest compilation of oob's: https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/9cj0r6/major_discovery_in_the_legend_of_zelda_breath_of/
PhD in TASing 🎓 speedrun enthusiast ❤🚷🔥 white hat hacker ▓ black box tester ░ censorships and rules...
Masterjun
He/Him
Site Developer, Skilled player (1970)
MESHUGGAH wrote:
mari0 1:12? [...] I mean it's low time but I've thought it will be lower.
If you compare it with the RTA run (1:45) then it might look not a lot faster. Instead, compare the amount of time in-level (aka the time not in cutscenes), which is ~27 seconds for the TAS, and ~59 seconds for the RTA run.
Warning: Might glitch to credits I will finish this ACE soon as possible (or will I?)
Post subject: We're officially in for AGDQ 2019! Can you help?
Super Scribblenauts, Castlevania, and mari0 all made it in! TAS content is officially accepted for AGDQ 2019, so now the work starts. We need to split out into more teams because some of the core folks are still focused on that other thing, namely GDQx that's coming up. Can you: - ldentify levels or scenarios in Super Scribblenauts that would be fun to have Twitch attempt to solve? - Help write scripting for Super Scribblenauts to handle multiple choice chat info? - Potentially work on a full resync of Castlevania on a more modern core to attempt to achieve console verification? (I didn't promise it, but we should do it) - Work on visualization hardware for mari0? There's a *lot* more that needs done, so please swing by #tasbot on Freenode IRC or http://Discord.TASBot.net and chat there or post here, whatever works best for you. Thanks for the support, everyone!
Editor, Player (67)
dwangoAC wrote:
- Potentially work on a full resync of Castlevania on a more modern core to attempt to achieve console verification? (I didn't promise it, but we should do it)
Would this require a resync of the movie that generates the SRAM, too? Reading back through the submissions, that seems to be #2163: Cpadolf's GBA Castlevania - Aria of Sorrow "Julius version" in 04:38.90.
Current Projects: TAS: Wizards & Warriors III.
TiKevin83
He/Him
Ambassador, Moderator, Site Developer, Player (120)
We would need a way of getting the necessary SRAM state on the console, which would probably mean syncing a setup movie.
Editor, Player (67)
It appears that cpadolf's run itself starts from SRAM, but I don't know how that was generated. There's a save file on slot 2 with the name Charles, but it doesn't match up with any of the publications preceding it.
Player (142)
I can't check it out myself right now, but reading through the publications, it appears to be based off of [456] GBA Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow by Atma in 27:45.57.
Editor, Player (67)
If you play back [456] GBA Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow by Atma in 27:45.57 and then record a new movie using the SRAM that it generates, however, the SRAM data in the VBM does not match up to that in [1247] GBA Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow "Julius mode" by Cpadolf in 04:38.90.
Post subject: I need you, yes you, to help do a resync of Castlevania
So here's the reality, and it's one I don't want to face but it is in fact reality: Today's date is October 6. AGDQ 2019 itself starts on January 6th which means we have only 3 months to do whatever it is we're going to do. The right way to do this is to do a full resync of his run but I don't hold out much hope of importing the old movie in BizHawk and getting it to sync which means a new verification movie is needed. Even after that it's highly unlikely that the run itself will fare any better and thus we're also looking at a full resync of that as well. Let me be clear: I really, really want to see this get console verified. Having said that, I didn't pitch this as having TASBot run it because I wasn't sure if we could and I'll be honest that I don't know as if the submissions committee actually noticed. I did, however, leave that opening for us in case we fail to resync a run in time. Thus I think we should prepare a backup plan of hooking into the original emulator somehow so we can display what buttons are being pressed on the visualization boards. Castlevania is going to require a concerted effort on the part of TASVideos members if we want it to be console verified in time for the event. Are there any volunteers who are willing to lead this? Likewise, is someone willing to tackle the backup visualization board from emulator idea? This is important and worthy work and only stands to strengthen TASVideos so I'm hopeful folks step up. Any takers?
Post subject: Castlevania movies and where to find them
First, the run we are attempting to modernize is [3216] GBA Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow "all souls" by Fz-Last, klmz, Pike in 17:06.41 Working through time, #3039: Kriole's GBA Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow "100% souls" in 24:56.10 clearly states it uses #2163: Cpadolf's GBA Castlevania - Aria of Sorrow "Julius version" in 04:38.90 as the basis for the run. The next most recent run is #4889: Fz-Last, Pike & alkdcY's GBA Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow "all souls" in 18:45.26 which doesn't list a specific movie but simply has a submission note reading "Starts from SRAM (the same as what Kriole used)". The current movie has the same statement. So to recap: Kriole said in http://tasvideos.org/3039S.html that he used #2163: Cpadolf's GBA Castlevania - Aria of Sorrow "Julius version" in 04:38.90 but there is concern that this isn't correct because it doesn't seem to result in the correct state. Can someone investigate further?
Editor, Player (67)
I've figured out part of the puzzle. The appropriate SRAM for [3216] GBA Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow "all souls" by Fz-Last, klmz, Pike in 17:06.41 can be generated by playing back [1247] GBA Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow "Julius mode" by Cpadolf in 04:38.90 and then deleting all save data. It seems like the flags for having completed the game are not wiped, so you can start a new game as Soma or Julius and choose Hard mode. EDIT: Same thing happens after playing back [1681] GBA Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow "warp glitch" by klmz in 06:14.48 and then deleting all save data. So it may be possible to get the SRAM in a proper state to start [3216] GBA Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow "all souls" by Fz-Last, klmz, Pike in 17:06.41 by beating the game in whatever way, then deleting all save data. Ideally, you would want to verify that this works on your hardware setup.
Post subject: Can we borrow your Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow GBA cart?
We're looking at what it takes to get a copy of the GBA Castlevania Aria of Sorrow cartridge and prices are *insane*. Best I've found that's actually legit is over $50. Does anyone have a copy one of us can borrow through the end of AGDQ 2019? Can return after. Can you help?
Editor, Player (67)
I've been working on a resync of [3216] GBA Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow "all souls" by Fz-Last, klmz, Pike in 17:06.41 in BizHawk (developer build 2018-10-11-214506, but endrift verified that the mGBA core is the same as in 2.3.0). It got as far as frame 20621 of the VBM movie before the RNG values went out of sync permanently. You can find the latest WIP here. Note that the input can be extended until around VBM frame 21350, but the Student Witch doesn't spawn the soul at VBM frame 21276, so that ends the resync attempt. I'm not sure how to proceed from here. Any thoughts? EDIT: Following are the scripts I've been using to dump the addresses to text files. VBA version:
Language: Lua

local addr_game_frame = 0x020000AC local addr_rng = 0x02000008 local addr_camera_x = 0x0200A09A local addr_camera_y = 0x0200A09E local addr_x_pos = 0x02000524 local addr_y_pos = 0x02000528 local addr_x_speed = 0x0200052C local addr_y_speed = 0x02000530 local frame_counter = 0 local frames_to_run = 0x80 local dump_file = "C:\\DledStuf\\todelete\\CVAoS_dump_VBM.txt" local dump_file_handle = io.open(dump_file, "w") if not dump_file_handle then vba.print("Error opening dump file.") else while frame_counter < frames_to_run do local curr_data = {} table.insert(curr_data, string.format("%.8X", memory.readdwordunsigned(addr_game_frame))) table.insert(curr_data, " ") table.insert(curr_data, string.format("%.8X", memory.readdwordunsigned(addr_rng))) table.insert(curr_data, " ") table.insert(curr_data, string.format("%.4X", memory.readwordunsigned(addr_camera_x))) table.insert(curr_data, " ") table.insert(curr_data, string.format("%.4X", memory.readwordunsigned(addr_camera_y))) table.insert(curr_data, " ") table.insert(curr_data, string.format("%.8X", memory.readdwordunsigned(addr_x_pos))) table.insert(curr_data, " ") table.insert(curr_data, string.format("%.8X", memory.readdwordunsigned(addr_y_pos))) table.insert(curr_data, " ") table.insert(curr_data, string.format("%.8X", memory.readdwordunsigned(addr_x_speed))) table.insert(curr_data, " ") table.insert(curr_data, string.format("%.8X", memory.readdwordunsigned(addr_y_speed))) table.insert(curr_data, "\n") local curr_data_combined = table.concat(curr_data) dump_file_handle:write(curr_data_combined) frame_counter = frame_counter + 1 vba.frameadvance() end end dump_file_handle:close() vba.print("Done.") vba.pause()
BizHawk version:
Language: lua

memory.usememorydomain('EWRAM') local addr_game_frame = 0x00AC local addr_rng = 0x0008 local addr_camera_x = 0xA09A local addr_camera_y = 0xA09E local addr_x_pos = 0x0524 local addr_y_pos = 0x0528 local addr_x_speed = 0x052C local addr_y_speed = 0x0530 local frame_counter = 0 local frames_to_run = 0x80 local dump_file = "C:\\DledStuf\\todelete\\CVAoS_dump_BK2.txt" local dump_file_handle = io.open(dump_file, "w") if not dump_file_handle then console.writeline("Error opening dump file.") else while frame_counter < frames_to_run do local curr_data = {} table.insert(curr_data, string.format("%.8X", memory.read_u32_le(addr_game_frame))) table.insert(curr_data, " ") table.insert(curr_data, string.format("%.8X", memory.read_u32_le(addr_rng))) table.insert(curr_data, " ") table.insert(curr_data, string.format("%.4X", memory.read_u16_le(addr_camera_x))) table.insert(curr_data, " ") table.insert(curr_data, string.format("%.4X", memory.read_u16_le(addr_camera_y))) table.insert(curr_data, " ") table.insert(curr_data, string.format("%.8X", memory.read_u32_le(addr_x_pos))) table.insert(curr_data, " ") table.insert(curr_data, string.format("%.8X", memory.read_u32_le(addr_y_pos))) table.insert(curr_data, " ") table.insert(curr_data, string.format("%.8X", memory.read_u32_le(addr_x_speed))) table.insert(curr_data, " ") table.insert(curr_data, string.format("%.8X", memory.read_u32_le(addr_y_speed))) table.insert(curr_data, "\r\n") local curr_data_combined = table.concat(curr_data) dump_file_handle:write(curr_data_combined) frame_counter = frame_counter + 1 emu.frameadvance() end end dump_file_handle:close() console.writeline("Done.") client.pause()
Then I've been comparing the files using
fc /l CVAoS_dump_VBM.txt CVAoS_dump_BK2.txt
on the Windows command prompt to find where the differences are and work from there. I've also got memory watch files with those addresses in each emulator.
Alyosha
He/Him
Editor, Expert player (3532)
Interesting. That would be a cool run to see done on console. Have you tried running the resynced run on hardware? If it doesn’t perform the same as BizHawk then maybe emulation just isn’t ready to handle it.
Alyosha wrote:
Interesting. That would be a cool run to see done on console. Have you tried running the resynced run on hardware? If it doesn’t perform the same as BizHawk then maybe emulation just isn’t ready to handle it.
Here's a chat section that talks a bit about this:
Language: irc

14:42 dwangoAC| endrift: In the last attempt you made to console verify the run did you try to add or remove any frames to get back in sync? Would it be worthwhile for someone to do that? 14:43 dwangoAC| I know GBI uses CPU cyles rather than frames per Extrems ' comments so feel free to adjust the meaning / vernacular of that request 14:43 dwangoAC| It looks like you said it desyncs around frame 3591 14:52 Extrems| More precisely, it's cycles/4096, as it's linked to the audio PWM capture. 14:53 Extrems| So you can't exactly have "a frame". 15:02 endrift| dwangoAC: I inserted a blank frame at the beginning 15:02 endrift| otherwise it desyncs because the first input is too early 15:02 endrift| that's the only major change AFAIR 15:02 dwangoAC| OK 15:02 dwangoAC| endrift: Do you suspect making adjustments might help? 15:03 endrift| I don't know 15:03 dwangoAC| Extrems: Is there a way to add in adjustments somehow? 15:21 Extrems| Add them in the input movie?... 15:39 dwangoAC| Extrems: What we've done on other platforms that needed offsets was an offset file that would be looked at in parallel, so you could say "add x frames here" or "remove x frames there". I assume this would be something other than frames in GBI of course. 15:40 Extrems| The problem is you have rounding involved in the conversion. 16:18 Dacicus| What is it that needs to be rounded? 16:21 Extrems| The cycle count. 16:27 Dacicus| It varies each frame? 16:29 Extrems| A frame is 280896 cycles, not divisible by 4096. 16:41 TASBot_D| <TiSpook83> You could have an offset file in cycles on pc and add before conversion to the GBI format 16:47 Dacicus| Where does the 4096 come from? 16:50 Extrems| The Game Boy Player captures an audio frame every 4096 cycles. 17:12 Dacicus| So the numbers sync every 64 frames.
So we need someone with more free time than endrift with all the right hardware and a copy of the cartridge in a correct state to do additional testing. That's a tall order but does anyone have the ability to help?
RexRath has volunteered to ship his Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow cartridge to me. I'll be doing testing with it on stream when it arrives. I'll have @MrTASBot send a tweet when that happens but I'll generally be streaming Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. Please note that I will be completely out of contact the week after Thanksgiving due to travel. My upcoming streams will be focused on AGDQ prep.