Several GBA movies have already been published, but this submission aims to be the first old-school four-color Game Boy movie. And what better game than the first portable translation of the ubiquitous Mario franchise.
Super Mario Land is quite a bit different from the 8-bit and 16-bit console Marios. Bowser is on a vacation, but the Princess still isn't safe--she's been kidnapped by a space alien named Tatanga. So Mario must embark once again on a classic side-scrolling, platform-jumping adventure to save her. There are 4 "worlds" with 3 levels each, and at the end of each world Mario thinks he's rescued the princess... 2-3 and 4-3 are forced-scroll shooters, pretty strange for a Mario game. Unlike his usual bouncing fireballs, this adventure features jezzball-like fireballs that bounce off of walls. There's a bonus level that can be accessed after every level, but is only required on the last level of each world.
My primary goal is to finish the game as quickly as possible. The secondary goal is to get the highest possible score. This leads to quite a few interesting moves designed to scrape out as many points as possible by bouncing off of enemies, collecting coins, hitting bricks, all while running through as fast as possible. On the shooter levels, this goal leads me to kill every single enemy, collect every coin and break every block.
Of course, I abuse as many glitches and sneaky tricks as possible--what kind of Mario run would this be if I didn't? Probably the most interesting glitch gives me a second chance after barely missing a jump. This is used in 1-2 to up my score, but most obviously near the end of 4-2. At one point I got a higher-than-normal bounce off of an enemy, which shouldn't be possible in this game. Apparently it was specific to the situation, as I was unable to reproduce it. This would have allowed some more enemy-stomping acrobatics throughout the run.
The bonus levels at the end of each world can't be skipped, but they can be manipulated. It's no coincidence that the desired bonus was right in front of me, with no ladder in the way. For world 1 I get 1 life as it's faster than the small->fire animation, and I don't need to be big in world 2. In world 2 I pick up the fire flower since I finish the level big and the big->fire animation is fast. After world 3 I need to get fireballs for use in world 4.
On the forced-scroll levels I show quite a few glitches while still being able to shoot everything. It's possible to be forced back further than normal by staying behind a wall. When as far back as possible, enemies are unable to touch me, but I can still shoot back and collect coins. As small Mario, I'm also able to stick my head up into the ceiling pretty high. Since timeattacking is an art, I mix in some sculpture in some of the brick walls of 2-3 in tribute to another early Game Boy game.
I also pick up invincibility stars in both the forced-scroll levels, which of course I don't have time to stop for on normal levels. When invincible, there is a hidden counter that increases the score value on enemies killed within about a second of each other. Furthermore, the first enemy killed is worth the same as the last enemy killed before becoming invincible. With these rules in mind, I was able to plan out my path of destruction to maximize my score, which was particularly effective in 4-3.
When fighting the final bosses, I take a hit on the Lakitu wanna-be so that I don't have to waste a shot on his bird.
For even more info, check the forum thread: Forum/Topics/1972
Special thanks a few people:
  • Nitsuja, who not only has done a great job with his improvements to VBA but also had time to review my test run and give me some ideas.
  • Vatchern, for posting his run on the forums. Even though I've completely surpassed it, it was very helpful to have that starting point.
Technical details:
Emulator: Visual Boy Advance, 1.7.2, but labelled rerecording 9. The lag reduction feature only applies to GBA games, so pretty much any VBA will play this.
  • Takes hits to save time
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Aims for a high score
  • Abuses glitches
  • Manipulates luck

Final score: 263720
Level finish times:
1-1: 361
1-2: 364
1-3: 362
2-1: 358
2-2: 364
2-3: 265
3-1: 335
3-2: 358
3-3: 358
4-1: 338
4-2: 344
4-3: 207

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #657: TheAxeMan's GB Super Mario Land in 12:14.92
Former player
Before I even watch it: "jezzball?"
Do Not Talk About Feitclub http://www.feitclub.com
Player (36)
An old, Win 98 era, game that came with the free game packs that Microsoft released. It's premise is to capture diagonally bouncing balls in small spaces. These balls are called jezzballs.
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
Hoe
Awsome movie. I loved both the normal levels and the auto-scrolling levels. It was pretty impressive when you hit 4 fish in a row.
Player (24)
Great Movie. Great Run. When you use the ROM Super Mario Land (v1.0) (JA) [!] the movie desync in World 2.1 at the Start, because you get a Flower in the Bonus Stage from World 1.3. With the ROM Super Mario Land (v1.1) (JA) [!] this works great.
Last TAS finished: Final Fantasy Adventure (4.0 Warp Glitch Run) WIP in the moment: Tail Gator (GB) Matty
OmnipotentEntity wrote:
An old, Win 98 era, game that came with the free game packs that Microsoft released. It's premise is to capture diagonally bouncing balls in small spaces. These balls are called jezzballs.
OT: oh man, I had forgotten all about jezzball....used to play it a LOT on the old 486.
Excellent movie. I was extremely proud the first time I beat this game because you had to beat two bosses in a row at the end of 4-3. Actually, this was the first Mario game I ever beat. It has all the elements of a Mario run, and I like the homage to Tetris you snuck in. I have a few questions, though. You choose the the Fireflower in the bonus stage at the end of World 2, but in 3-1 you don't shoot some of the Pirahna Plants, even though you stated that your secondary objective was getting the highest possible score. It also looked like you didn't shoot everyone that you could have in 4-2. Would that have slowed you down or negatively impacted the run, or would the shot have gone through the Pirahna Plants because they weren't totally out of the pipe yet? This definitely gets a Yes vote, but I'm sure people will wonder.
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
Active player (277)
Yeah, since TheAxeMan's holding B all the time to run, he has to release B to throw a fireball for it to register as a new button press, and that lowers his speed a tiny bit.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Former player
Nice job, this deserves to be published.
Very good movie, appears to be optmimised in every aspect. Fun auto-scrollers as well.
"We observe the behaviour of simple folk, and derive pleasure from their defects." -Aristotle - Book of Humour
Ambassador, Experienced player (696)
BOMF is right about the fireballs, it seems to cost a frame each time. Near the end of 4-2 I shoot the last snake because his fireball would have cause more than a frame of lag. The snake I shoot with the bouncing shot was just in my way. Glad everyone enjoyed it, my fingers are still recovering from holding down right and B so long.
Player (84)
I must watch this soon :) in great detail. Then i shall give my word.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [330] GB Super Mario Land by TheAxeMan in 12:14.92
Wow, that was fast! I guess it's not hard to work out the codecs for a 4-color system.
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1300)
Wow, this turned out great (and got published before I could even vote yes).
TheAxeMan wrote:
my fingers are still recovering from holding down right and B so long.
BTW you can tell the emulator to hold these down for you (Options->Joypad->Auto-hold).
TheAxeMan wrote:
I guess it's not hard to work out the codecs for a 4-color system
Actually, since this game relies on crisp black-and-white outlines/edges for many of its graphics (like the pyramids in the background and the trees) I'd think that most codecs would have trouble encoding this well.
Player (70)
Good run indeed. Haven't played that game since I was a kid. Can hardly remember anything from it either so. It was VERY entertaining. Especially the auto scrollers. Cheers for a good run!
Player (84)
Yes, this did get published quick. I would have voted yes for sure :)
I really enjoyed this run and laughed a lot in the tetris block shooting part :) Very suprising shortcuts and other stuff !
Thanks everyone, glad you like it. What really amazes me is that only a few days after publishing it's already been downloaded over 1000 times! As much as I love the old Game Boy, I definitely didn't think so many people would be interested in seeing a 4-color monochrome movie. Well, after a little break from timeattacking (I'm playing through a few games and checking out the Total Annihilation remake) I'll get back to Crystalis. But I can definitely see myself picking out other GB games which consumed large portions of my childhood for timeattacks. Thanks again to Nitsuja for all his work on VBA!
Editor, Active player (296)
At Super-play.net (former douga.tk), there is apparently going a cheating discussion in full heat regarding this movie. http://super-play.net/item/58 (Japanese)
Ah, Babelfish, how flawed you are. Although based on what I could understand, it looks like they aren't aware it's tool-assisted and are debating whether or not it is legitimate?
Editor, Active player (296)
That would be strange, because the site admin knows that the movies are tool-assisted.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
OmnipotentEntity wrote:
actually its win 3.11 era
That's pretty messed up. I tried the translator too, but its Japanese isn't so good. What are they talking about with those lists of level-time numbers? Very funny, I never thought I'd end up being a Japanese celebrity.
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
I don't understand if they are saying that they know it's a timeattack but it's somehow cheated, or that it's cheated because it's a timeattack. Some people are talking about how the Pakkun Flower (this is the japanese name for the fire flower, i guess) appears in unnatural places in the shooter stages, I think. On an unrelated note, that site links directly to the torrents and not to the movie pages.