Post subject: The Smurfs
Editor, Expert player (2313)
----- Three Smurfs have disappeared from the village! As Hefty Smurf your journey will be long. Jump across the river climb the mountains and travel through mines as you try to find Gargamel. Papa Smurf is counting on you to defeat Gargamel and bring the missing smurfs home! ----- I'm making a TAS about this game. Here's a preview: http://www2.oxedion.com/index.php/downloads/176aa63e1601267dee91148310f19a7d? (You'll have to wait about 2 minutes to be able to download it...) ROM name: Smurfs, The (V1.0) (E) [!].gb
I don't know whether I should submit it now in front of such lack of interest... but for now here is my complete run of the game: http://www.oxedion.com/index.php/download/894d41349bb0296da6dd6707da5e6e44
Chamale
He/Him
Player (178)
No offense, but normally people use the first version of the ROM. Was this game first released in Europe, Japan or the USA?
I couldn't find the [v1.0] version or something. I could just find an european version. Maybe that's why here is such lack of interest... E: I don't know where the game was first released.
the only two ROMs I can find are: * Smurfs, The (E) (M4) (v1.0).gb * Smurfs, The (UE) (M3) (v1.1).gb so it was probably released in Europe first.
Player (74)
As long as its the [!] rom, i don't see the problem with using it. Its a run on a smurfs game though, not many people are going to care that much about it just on the title.
the only two ROMs I can find are: * Smurfs, The (E) (M4) (v1.0).gb * Smurfs, The (UE) (M3) (v1.1).gb so it was probably released in Europe first. I found a (UE) (M4) (v1.0) [!] version. That would have been my used ROM but it wasn't obtainable. Its a run on a smurfs game though, not many people are going to care that much about it just on the title. EDIT: It's actually something like this, isn't it? http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5248 The game has something to do with a cartoon character so it is rejected right away without even seeing it... I give some information about the game now if that helps...: In this game which has 12 levels plus 3 boss fights I play on the hardest difficulty. It's a jump 'n run in which you must run to the exit. But there are several enemies and hindrances. When you get hit you fall a bit backwards. So I often turned around in front of enemies to save time instead of waiting for a moment to defeat the enemy or to jump above him.
After watching the run, it seemed somewhat meh. I think you did a pretty good job with the run, but the game doesn't seem broken enough... since there's not much to break. B to run, A to jump... How could anyone play a game like that? And all that happens in the end is that you get the only girl ever seen to give you a kiss? Just too original of a story if you ask me. At least there are no turtles.
I watched it, and I found it entertaining. Sure, it wasn't zoom-look-I'm-really-fast, but that's the game's fault. Maybe you can find some glitches?
Unfortunately, the game doesn't seem to have any glitches in my perception... But I'll check it up! btw, for everyone who is too lazy to search the ROM I managed to upload the run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsQG-FvV5rk
Former player
The run isn't that bad, though the game is kind of uninteresting, however due to its short timespan I guess submitting wouldn't hurt, eh? One thing I thought of in the first cave stage was that you took unnessecary damage at some times. At a spikeball you could've simply jumped on the block and avoided it, and at the spider you could've taken the below path.
My published movies [03:45:05] <Naohiro19> Soulrivers: ... [03:45:19] <Soulrivers> ? [03:46:35] <Naohiro19> <Soulrivers> No! <Naohiro19> So? <Soulrivers> Yes! [03:46:48] <Naohiro19> joke
Soulrivers wrote:
At a spikeball you could've simply jumped on the block and avoided it
There was a star. Those stars lag at each level end. But nevertheless I did do a mistake: They don't lag much! (maybe they lag if you collect more than 1 star...) Maybe I redo this part later...
Soulrivers wrote:
at the spider you could've taken the below path.
I would have had to wait for the leaf to come down. btw, I more and more think that there are to many auto-scroll and auto-run levels to call it a good TAS...
Former player
Alright, my mistake then. ;) Didn't know anything about the game really. But honestly, what do you have to lose? D: Submit it, if people like it, they'll vote yes, if they don't, they'll vote no. It's as simple as that.
My published movies [03:45:05] <Naohiro19> Soulrivers: ... [03:45:19] <Soulrivers> ? [03:46:35] <Naohiro19> <Soulrivers> No! <Naohiro19> So? <Soulrivers> Yes! [03:46:48] <Naohiro19> joke
Chamale
He/Him
Player (178)
Reminds of Tom and Jerry. It's a fast-paced game based on a cartoon, with the run about 9 minutes long. I recently found a glitch in Tom and Jerry (see the topic) where pressing left+right gives instant acceleration. Test left+right and autofiring A or B in various situations (Running, mine car, toboggan, et cetera).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5fGJSxBkjE This run beats my first attempt by 14 seconds! more info and stuff follows
There's a new glitch that let's you skip the first level. Basicly, you have to go down one of the stumps in the level to enter a bonus-room. Then you have to hold "up" and the first level is skipped! But it didn't work for me in VBA... well, just saying...
I can't make a new TAS due to the fact that the glitch warp I explained above doesn't work on VBA and therefore making a new run would be kind of pointless, in my opinion. I would like to ask something about the ROM versions in the meantime. "Smurfs, The (UE) (V1.0) (M4) [!]" is the ROM the published TAS uses. But there is also "Smurfs, The (UE) (V1.1) (M3) [S][!]" and it supports Super Gameboy mode. Well, that is an ugly SGB border right there. :P Unless there is some emulation problem affecting the border. But the colors aren't too nice either. I could bear watching the first level, but the bright blue of level two is kind of hurting my eyes. Should a future TAS really need to use this version?
glitch collection 2 oddities soundtrack collection map-loading bug in Act 9 These are just random videos about interesting stuff. Regarding a new TAS, these are the possible improvements: - Act 1: Warp bug - 1st boss: Manipulate the snake to appear from the middle left. Pausing the game can manipulate luck, as can killing (or not killing) certain enemies. - Act 9: Grab the final spring board and place it on top of the ledge and jump from it, instead of jumping on the ledge and then on the springboard - see the video I posted. I'm not gonna work on an improvement until at least somewhere in 2012.
Jungon
He/Him
Player (40)
There is a version of this game on Sega Master System,.. I'm not saying it should be used, but, .. it should be considered, ... right? xP
*Jungon*/*Johnnyz* smilie weirdo =P ^^ o.o @__@ +D
Jungon wrote:
There is a version of this game on Sega Master System,.. I'm not saying it should be used, but, .. it should be considered, ... right? xP
See what I wrote about it here. Even if I was interested in TASing that version, Dega is such an inferior and crappy emulator, I can't even make a testrun with it... However, I still wanted to try and see if some glitches work on that port.
Glitches/Tricks from the GB version working in the SMS version: Red means it doesn't work. Yellow means it works with restrictions. Green means it works. Act 1 Warp Glitch Left&Right Glitch Survive timer by touching bonus room exit - Timer doesn't reset, so you die. You can't touch caged Smurfs. Works on some level finish triggers as it does in the GB version. Mute Audio glitch Act 4 - Wrap around by using a vine - Seems like there's an invisible ceiling Hit snake repeatedly on head Act 5 - Hedgehog inside wall - Apparently it doesn't work Act 5 - Walk on ceiling Act 6 - Bonus room skip Act 6 - Star item in first bonus room Act 6 - Bee spawning in unreachable place Act 6 - Fall into void while exiting third bonus room - Your HP resets to 3 and you don't lose a life Act 7 - Inside of spikes - There's no cave. Act 8 - Ride on floor - Doesn't work due to level layout Act 8 - Ride on ceiling - Doesn't work due to level layout Act 9 - Level layout exploits Act 9 - Sprite glitch Present box sprite glitch - ? Kick present box away after falling into void - ? Act 11- Kill hedgehogs - You take damage when jumping on hedgehogs
Jungon
He/Him
Player (40)
I said it because I found this movie on the archive and commented to myself: "This would be so much better with SMS's set of music, these crappy ones are horrible." .... XD Well, the version with more TASing glitches is preferrable, ... and I don't remember if 'music' was a good argument for choosing a version instead of another.... Who would people believe anyway? A Skilled Player, and Editor, or just a .... *let me see what I am ...* ... Active Player that just popped up from nowhere? Go you +D (I like TASes no matter what consoles are used, .. but NES and GB really are the glitchiest..) xP
*Jungon*/*Johnnyz* smilie weirdo =P ^^ o.o @__@ +D
I found that the lives counter can go past 99, making the numbers have glitched graphics. This is possible for example by collecting all leaves in act 5 and then die, over and over. When you have 256 lives and get another one, you will effectively have 0 again.
I already played through the NES and SMS ports of this game. Today, I played through the game gear version and it looked even more the same as the gameboy version (as the resolution between gameboy and game gear seem to be comparably small). The GG port has color, lags slightly more, has different music, and doesn't have Left&right glitch nor warp glitch (which isn't so bad, you get to see more of the game). I think I'm still going to consider TASing this version because I like this game a lot and want to see how it looks compared to the gameboy TAS.