Post subject: Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
Player (119)
Tool assisted speedruns: Battle of Hoth (Jedi) 2:19/m64 Echo Base 3:01 Gall Spaceport Part 2 1:53 (approx) Sewers of the Imperial Palace 2:18 List of real time speedruns: Echo Base 3:24 The Asteroid Field 3:14 Mos Eisley and Beggar's Canyon 2:38 Imperial freighter suprosa 2:49 Sewers of the Imperial City 4:42 Xizor's Palace 4:35 Old Text: I made a test run of Echo Base in "Shadows of the Empire" to determine whether this game is suitable for TASing. This game has a reasonable amount of variety in the levels so I think it is. Obviously there are emulation problems at present so desynchs are a given but the advent of Napalm has at least seen a fix to a major graphical error (or fixed from whatever plugins I was using before).
Awesome. I've always wanted to see a run of SotE, and I think your test run shows a lot of promise.
Editor, Experienced player (730)
You know, I never thought to fire the seekers at the ATST's head back when I felt like playing this for giggles many months ago. I just remember spending a good 10 minutes in that one room trying to figure out how the hell to beat that thing as he was firing my ass to smithereens. I hope the future stages that are played in ships are more fun. That test run wasn't bad, and I noticed napalm only had that square orange shadow so graphically it looks better, but I get the sneaky feeling that the type of gameplay may get boring or some people who haven't played it may not find it entertaining. Many old school gamers find their molasses slow NES games to be better than the run of the mill N64 playing, their loss. I say, keep up with the test run, complete it to the end. We need more N64 runs on the site. edit: you shall remember to climb walls like this
Homepage ☣ Retired
Player (104)
Oh God YES! Please please please complete this run! I was the only kid in town to like this game, and I've played it SOOOOO much! I was wondering when someone would do a TAS of that game! Also, I think a 100% run would be a good idea too. I can't remember what are the advantages of getting all secrets (can't even remember what these secrets are called!), but I think it would be interesting to watch that. Continue your great work! I'm looking forward to the final product.
I actually started a TAS of this a few weeks ago. Don't plan to get too far. Hope to see yours completed :D Oh, and suicide helps against the AT-STs in the first level incase you haven't noticed.
Editor, Player (67)
The test run looks great so far. Do continue.
Current Projects: TAS: Wizards & Warriors III.
Count me among those who played the hell out of this as a young 'un. I do wonder if it might be a bit faster to play it in the first person view (was that even an option in this one?) It probably wouldn't do too much, but with the slow framerate I'd imagine whatever polygons you could avoid rendering would be to your advantage. And I still get creeped out thinking about the sewer boss, for some reason.
*musical nostalgia drools from orfices* I love this game.
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.
Former player
Halamantariel wrote:
Also, I think a 100% run would be a good idea too. I can't remember what are the advantages of getting all secrets (can't even remember what these secrets are called!), but I think it would be interesting to watch that.
Challenge points, IIRC.
Player (166)
This is a great, often overlooked game. I hope you finish a full run.
Player (155)
That was awesome as hell. A finished run would be amazingly entertaining so i agree with the rest in saying you need to make a full game run
Active player (302)
never played the game, still found it really entertaining and good!
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
Youtube's down for me, but let me say I've been hoping for someone to pick this game up. Each difficulty yields a different reward for collecting all the Challenge Points. Easy, you get the "Leebo Scanner" which is an alternate camera. Medium, you can fly a TIE Fighter or X-Wing during the Skyhook Battle. Hard, you can max out your ammo and get an Invincibility at will. Jedi, Wampas become friendly. I don't see any of this helping a TAS, though, because I'm pretty sure there are Challenge Points in every level, including the Skyhook Battle at the end of the game.
Previous Name: boct1584
Skilled player (1431)
Looks great, definetely suitable for a full TAS. One of the more entertaining N64 runs I've seen as many of them tend to get extremely hard to follow unless you know the game very well.
Agare Bagare Kopparslagare
I fully support this run. It should be interesting to see what can be done in this game, especially when you get the jetpack.
Editor, Experienced player (730)
stickyman05 wrote:
*musical nostalgia drools from orfices*
Careful! You got some on my shoe.
Homepage ☣ Retired
Player (147)
Looks quite interesting. Do you have any estimate on how long a full run would be?
Nach wrote:
I also used to wake up every morning, open my curtains, and see the twin towers. And then one day, wasn't able to anymore, I'll never forget that.
Player (119)
I don't think this game has good enough emulation to do a full run. Desynchs are a problem and when I play the game I often get error messages from napalm about the textures. You may also notice that the explosion textures do not emulate correctly but are instead replaced with other textures. It would probably be worth waiting for the new version of mupen to see if that fixes the problems.
RT-55J wrote:
Do you have any estimate on how long a full run would be?
My guess is around 45 minutes, though it has been a while since I played this game.
I've never even heard of this game or seem gameplay until now, so I have no real input on the game. The WIP looked pretty cool though so I'd say go for it.
dartht33bagger wrote:
I've never even heard of this game or seem gameplay until now, so I have no real input on the game. The WIP looked pretty cool though so I'd say go for it.
You have no idea how much this game rocked... I prayed to the heavens that my parents would buy it for me, but alas they did not. (thank god for friends). Trust us, darth.. but if you cannot trust us, trust the Force. [and the Force says the game rules ;P]
adelikat wrote:
Bobmario511 wrote:
Former player
I'd like to see a run of the game. Too bad the current graphics ruin it...
Honestly, this game bored me when it first came out, and my opinion of it never changed. But I won't lie; I'd like to see this game thoroughly owned in a proper TAS. If work on this continues, consider it watched.
Kirby said so, so it must be true. ( >'.')>
superjupi wrote:
Honestly, this game bored me when it first came out, and my opinion of it never changed.
I use my awkward controls to point a gun and zap you until the charge reads 0%! *shakes anger fist (TM) of vengeance!*
adelikat wrote:
Bobmario511 wrote:
I put on my robe and wizard ha-*shot*
Kirby said so, so it must be true. ( >'.')>
Player (119)
It turns out that the wall climbing glitch can be done anywhere and thanks to the geometry of Gall Spaceport, you can skip a great deal of the longest level in the game. Youtube link.